The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. to decriminalize small amounts of ‘hard’ drugs – a North American first

nuckin_futz

Excellent news, it'll be interesting to see if we follow in the footsteps of Portugal. For those unaware, on July 1, 2001, a nationwide law in Portugal took effect that decriminalized all drugs, including cocaine and heroin.

https://www.tni.org/files/publication-downloads/greenwald_whitepaper.pdf

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

I’m sure this thread will remain civilized :) 

I’m honestly apprehensive about letting this sort of thing become more and more mainstream, but I’m grateful that some action is taking place. Our current system doesn’t work anymore and, as JM_ said, it’s a great step towards acknowledging addiction as a health issue. I’m hopeful this won’t backfire. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Excellent news, it'll be interesting to see if we follow in the footsteps of Portugal. For those unaware, on July 1, 2001, a nationwide law in Portugal took effect that decriminalized all drugs, including cocaine and heroin.

https://www.tni.org/files/publication-downloads/greenwald_whitepaper.pdf

Any idea if it has worked out well for them?  Its been 2 decades, we should have some kinda info on their results?

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Any idea if it has worked out well for them?  Its been 2 decades, we should have some kinda info on their results?

When I was visiting Lisbon I sure as hell didn't see a ton of open drug use.  The main issue my accommodation warned me about was that you'd be unlikely to get what you were paying for on the street.  I had fewer people try to sell me drugs than if I was in downtown Victoria.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'd go a step further and offer it for free in the safe use clinics.  It'll be cheaper than paying for the property crime currently being used to support addiction.

yup. We need to undercut the monsters willing to kill people with a toxic drug supply to get a handle on things. 

• Cheers 4