The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green to Coach the Stars?

Rate this topic

Me_

19 hours ago, AV. said:

This is the truth.

As bad as Green was, he's still better at coaching than his GM was at general managing.

Is the Benning era our worst ever?  Willie and Green as coaches.  And Willie got another NHL gig.  So even with Green being worse that Willie he’s likely to get another NHL gig too.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is the Benning era our worst ever?  Willie and Green as coaches.  And Willie got another NHL gig.  So even with Green being worse that Willie he’s likely to get another NHL gig too.  

You could argue that the Keenan/Messier days were more toxic and damaging to the team, but those days lasted no more than two years.  Under Benning, it was a far more torturous eight years or so because it was full of 1 step forward and 3 steps backward types of decisions that slowly turned this team into the utter mess it is today.  Just when you thought a stone turned for the better, his regime would do a series of stupid things to follow it up.

• Cheers 3

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Worst ever? I don't think so, but I am concerned moving forward. We have an excellent base at important positions. The lack of quality prospect depth is very concerning though. Especially with the D. It's pathetic really. I'm not sure how they overcome it, if at all. I watch the Rangers and ya, they have had a lot fo their way. But they have done great with their picks l, lottery picks withstanding. We haven't at all. Woo Lind, Gadjovich, OJ, Jake, Dipietro, too name a few. All duds, or longshots. 

33 minutes ago, rekker said:

Worst ever? I don't think so, but I am concerned moving forward. We have an excellent base at important positions. The lack of quality prospect depth is very concerning though. Especially with the D. It's pathetic really. I'm not sure how they overcome it, if at all. I watch the Rangers and ya, they have had a lot fo their way. But they have done great with their picks l, lottery picks withstanding. We haven't at all. Woo Lind, Gadjovich, OJ, Jake, Dipietro, too name a few. All duds, or longshots. 

We've had some terrible eras of management, and I can't think of one that lasted so long and was so bad.  Crappy team, high cost, no prospects.    

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

We've had some terrible eras of management, and I can't think of one that lasted so long and was so bad.  Crappy team, high cost, no prospects.    

Sadly, I can't really argue you on this. Uggg. 

• Cheers 1

In the end I think Benning was a control freak. And that cost him his job. If he hired competent people around him. Got the contracts settled. Moved players he couldn't afford.

He would have been far better off. Even now, the team cannot afford misses in the first 3 rounds. The team needs a minimum of 2-3 draft picks to turn into NHL'ers each year.

He was pretty good at spotting talent. Managing that talent was his downfall. Polar opposite of Gillis. Who could manage the cap, and the players. But couldn't draft to save his life.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Sadly, I can't really argue you on this. Uggg. 

I still find it hard to believe we went back to back with Willie D and Green.  And Willie got a second shot and it looks like Green will too.  Who's the guy in Anaheim who was the Oiler coach that was so bad?  He was terrible with the Oilers (tried weird stuff like celery sticks in the media room) and still he gets another gig.  

Green will coach again.  It seems these guys get two kicks at the can.  

Coaches will always get second, third, fourth, and so on chances.  The "best" coaches just need put players in the correct conditions and positions to succeed.  That's all there is to it.  No systems, style of play, etc. mean anything substantial in the grand scheme of things.  Some of the best "tacticians" have looked like amateurs if they have been given absolute donkeys for players.  This is true for all sports.

Swap Travis Green with Jon Cooper, and Tampa Bay still probably wins one of those two cups because their roster composition has been that good, LTIR games or not.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I still find it hard to believe we went back to back with Willie D and Green.  And Willie got a second shot and it looks like Green will too.  Who's the guy in Anaheim who was the Oiler coach that was so bad?  He was terrible with the Oilers (tried weird stuff like celery sticks in the media room) and still he gets another gig.  

Green will coach again.  It seems these guys get two kicks at the can.  

Yip. But good news is Aquaman seems to have learned a tough lesson. We now have a veteran in JR, and a veteran in Bruce. Your reference to Dallas Eakins. I suspect Green will need to coach again in the AHL as Eakins did to reestablish himself. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Yip. But good news is Aquaman seems to have learned a tough lesson. We now have a veteran in JR, and a veteran in Bruce. Your reference to Dallas Eakins. I suspect Green will need to coach again in the AHL as Eakins did to reestablish himself. 

I wouldn't even hire Green to coach in the AHL and risk the damage he can do to the prospects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:01 AM, Alienhuggyflow said:

I fully admit to being a fan of Benning so maybe I'm blinded but looking back on things and seeing the team   Benning built be a top 10 team that was a top 3 team 5on5 defensively, kind of points to  Benning  being a lot better than what most of our fanbase thought of him.

It's done and in the past but the only real area he had more misses than hits was his UFA signings but then even those it turns out haven't aged that poorly for the most part besides LE obviously. 

Myers was crapped on but under  Bruce was good and apparently has value, Ferland, we'll never know, Poolman, bad, Dickenson?

I think his trades and drafting plus internal contracts like Horvat, Garland, Demko, Pearson, Hughes, etc speak for themselves.

Motte, Highmore,  Lamiko, were wins as well.

I give him credit for having the balls to at least make some big trades but then again I've always been a fan of OEL Garland and Miller long before they were in Vancouver and I'm not one who gets attached to draft picks the way some do in regards to non top 10 picks.

Hughes was a good, but obvious, choice in 2018.  But if Woo doesn't work out either, every other pick of the six we had that year are flops or JB traded them away for nothing.  Madden - Toffoli.  You can't just be right on your first round pick, which is usually a consensus led by the amateur scouting department.  Benning, the draft/develop guru, did neither very well.  Few picks worked out, and ones with promise he packaged up for veterans on the decline with his "turn it around quickly" philosophy.

Be a fan of OEL and Garland. But facts are facts. JB, with Aquaman's blessing, went all in last summer, with whatever he could scrape together he had left to offer other teams, and got rid of LE, Beagle, and Roussell when they only had one more season left on their contracts. And took on OEL's 7.3 cap for another 6 years in exchange. (5 now). And gave away yet another high #1 pick.  Which turned out to be Dylan Guenther at #9. So desperate to show the owners that THIS TIME his "day to day " style of managing would work. A last kick at the can. News flash: We didn't make the playoffs.  So we would have been rid of the three amigos contracts now regardless.  And if you still wanted OEL, if we'd waited until after this season, we could have had him just gifted to us + Garland, just to take on his cap.  And had Guenther in Abbotsford. Just p poor management all around.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:07 AM, canuck73_3 said:

Green coached a lesser team than WD over Minnesota, then the defending Cup Champ Blues then took Vegas to 7 games. WD lost to the Flames 

The blues never showed up.  Green didn't coach the Canucks to 7 against Vegas that was Demko. 

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 2:03 AM, -AJ- said:

He meshed pretty well with our team in 2019-20. I think he has it in himself to be a good NHL coach, even if he faltered a lot at the end of his tenure in Vancouver.

No he didn't he was always a terrible coach...Always. There wasn't a season with him behind the bench the team looked good. The bubble  was no exception.  I really don't know why people insist that he was good. Like even when we were winning it never looked right.  Boudreau exposed all of this

17 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Statistics back me up, Willie Desjardins was a better coach , sad but true. 

If Green is the point of comparison, that's not hard to do.  Twitchy Willie and his handy clipboard and being outfoxed by Bob Hartley (of all people) was a sight to see.

Tortorella...Desjardins...Green.  Bunch of losers since AV.

• Cheers 1

On 6/2/2022 at 10:19 AM, rekker said:

Eakins still sucks as an NHL coach.  Was a lousy hockey player and an even worse coach.  Sometimes all the carbon stuck in high heat and pressure turns out to be coal...sometimes diamonds.  Eakins and Green would be the former.

Funny how Bowness really thrived with the Stars, got them through the playoffs several times, and now if they swap to Green (with almost identical lineups) you're going to see them free-fall from grace. Not sure why Bowness left or was forced out but he turned a pretty average team on-paper into a playoff winning team which is incredible. We should try everything in our power to get Bowness back into the organization.