The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green to Coach the Stars?

Rate this topic

Me_

On 6/2/2022 at 9:38 AM, AV. said:

You could argue that the Keenan/Messier days were more toxic and damaging to the team, but those days lasted no more than two years.  Under Benning, it was a far more torturous eight years or so because it was full of 1 step forward and 3 steps backward types of decisions that slowly turned this team into the utter mess it is today.  Just when you thought a stone turned for the better, his regime would do a series of stupid things to follow it up.

And yet somehow fans still think we'd become "contenders" again overnight.   Nonis had one great draft then 3 duds ... MG 5 and would have been six without Corey and drafting Horvat.    Anyone who follows hockey even in the pre-cap era where you could just buy your way out of trouble (not us but some teams) ... saw this coming ... ridiculous to think we weren't going to do much for a very very long time.    

Edit:  For me at least competing against EDM/CAL and even LA ... the 80's were tough.    The 90's our best era to date simply given we won series (and i'd include almost beating the best team in the league in 89 in that) ... 2000's were underwhelming.    Couldn't win a series barely.    And really the peak Sedin era only had one run.   But it sure was nice to be the favourite instead of a dark horse for a change.    I think people need to temper their expectations a little.   Every team is our competition and there are 32 of them now.    CAR missed 9 in a row..:.you can look around the league and find a lot of teams that lost a lot of time.   Complaints should first be filed to the league for expanding as much and making a bad product for most of the 2000's as a result.   And a lot of the 2010's as well.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 6/8/2022 at 6:48 AM, IBatch said:

And yet somehow fans still think we'd become "contenders" again overnight.   Nonis had one great draft then 3 duds ... MG 5 and would have been six without Corey and drafting Horvat.    Anyone who follows hockey even in the pre-cap era where you could just buy your way out of trouble (not us but some teams) ... saw this coming ... ridiculous to think we weren't going to do much for a very very long time.    

Edit:  For me at least competing against EDM/CAL and even LA ... the 80's were tough.    The 90's our best era to date simply given we won series (and i'd include almost beating the best team in the league in 89 in that) ... 2000's were underwhelming.    Couldn't win a series barely.    And really the peak Sedin era only had one run.   But it sure was nice to be the favourite instead of a dark horse for a change.    I think people need to temper their expectations a little.   Every team is our competition and there are 32 of them now.    CAR missed 9 in a row..:.you can look around the league and find a lot of teams that lost a lot of time.   Complaints should first be filed to the league for expanding as much and making a bad product for most of the 2000's as a result.   And a lot of the 2010's as well.   

It's our drafting over the years that is killing us. No depth. Even years like 2011 and others, we were real good but unable to sustain because of poor player depth and few incoming, legit players. Especially on D. We've had too many entire draft classes amount to nothing. Nothing. That just can't happen. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Y'know how HR receives a bunch of resumes for a job, narrows it down to about 5 or so to interview as a shortlist, knowing that a couple of those interviewees are absolute garbage and that they're just included so it seems like they did their due diligence?  Yeah, Green is one of them.