The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck D Pairings -- Some Surprises

Rate this topic

JamesB

Overrating our players isn't going to us anywhere other than adrenaline high for some. If all our players are all Norris calibre, Vezina calibre, we would be in the playoffs right now competing in the conference finals. I dont see any of our players (except for Demko) driving the play like McKinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl even if they grow for a few years. The reason we got OEL is because Benning saw shortcomings from Hughes and wanted to have a #1 to take some of the tougher minutes off his shoulders. Since we spent our quota on Hughes and OEL, we are not left with much caproom for RD. There isn't much of a market for RD to begin with, so we are left with scrapping up a Hamonic deal and Poolman deal for 4 years. Getting a #1 RD won't be easy, we'll just have to wait and see. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

The data also says they need help on the right side.  If there is only 1 move on D this summer, this is the one that I see

we'd miss his size, but Myers certainly can be moved. OEL is our best all-around dman and can be put with a lot of different types of players. E.g., OEL-Stecher might even work well for a year or two while a prospect develops in Abby. 

• Cheers 1

I didn't follow the Canucks nearly as closely this year as last but from everything I read the first half OEL had very strong defensive metrics and in in his last 40 games had a very respectable 22 points for a .55 points per game, above his .49 points per game career pace. If he can put up 35-40 points next year with strong defensive metrics he is well worth what we are paying for him. 

It would have cost us a 1st and 2nd to drop Player Name, Beagle, and Roussel, so essentially we got Garland for taking on the OEL contract. 52 points for 4.9 million on a youngish forward with energy is solid value, so overall this trade might actually work out pretty well all things considered (Player Name/Beagle/Roussel were absolute disasters). 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Thanks for doing the work @JamesB.

As I've been saying for a while now, OEL is not REMOTELY the problem on our D. In fact he's probably our best overall D man. Maybe folks will stop wishing him away with the data you've posted.

Also, like I've been saying for months... If we can manage to move Myers, even with $1m retention, and replace him with a less well rounded but better defensively, younger, faster and cheaper D (like Lyubushkin and/or trading for a guy like Marino), we're like a more cohesive D core. AKA better.

what about OEL-Gudbranson :shock:

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think we want to go there :lol:

#drama

it might be OK for most of the regular season, but he looked pretty bad vs EDM. 

Lyubushkin or Zadorov tho could be interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Thanks for doing the work @JamesB.

As I've been saying for a while now, OEL is not REMOTELY the problem on our D. In fact he's probably our best overall D man. Maybe folks will stop wishing him away with the data you've posted.

Also, like I've been saying for months... If we can manage to move Myers, even with $1m retention, and replace him with a less well rounded but better defensively, younger, faster and cheaper D (like Lyubushkin and/or trading for a guy like Marino), we're likely a more cohesive D core. AKA better.

Exactly right. People look at OEL's points and say he should have had 50! He's a waste! But the Issue is, Hughes was playing 1:30 of the 2 mins on the PP...OEL had very little PP time and was in shut down role. I also think he subtly made Myers look better (cleaning up for him), which also lessens his offensive output. He is a younger version of Edler with more skill (and some sandpaper) and an important piece. We just need a cheaper big RD on his line to stay at home and allow him to be a bit more aggressive offensively. I'd also like to see him get more PP time. Leave QH out for 2 mins and place him on the 1/2 wall on the 2nd PP....

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I think we should move Myers and Poolman. The latter will likely take a relatively minor asset on our end.
Sign Manson 4 years, 4 million.

Place Rathbone in the 3LD position, and if he isn't ready, sign Butcher.

Find a bottom pairing defensive player (hopefully with size) to pair with either Rathbone or Butcher.

Hughes - Manson
OEL - Schenn
Rathbone/Butcher - Hagg/Johnson/Maatta/Sustr/Petrovic
Extras: Hunt, Burroughs. If re-signed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

we'd miss his size, but Myers certainly can be moved. OEL is our best all-around dman and can be put with a lot of different types of players. E.g., OEL-Stecher might even work well for a year or two while a prospect develops in Abby. 

I was thinking the same thing. Trade Myers, sign Stecher to a low cap hit and play him with OEL. Stecher and OEL would be a good pairing, probably as good as or better than OEL and Myers and much cheaper. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I think we should move Myers and Poolman. The latter will likely take a relatively minor asset on our end.

Find a bottom pairing defensive player (hopefully with size) to pair with either Rathbone or Butcher.

Hughes - Manson
OEL - Schenn

I don't think Manson is coming that cheap and for that short term. He will be in high demand and if he's going to take a discount it will be to go back to Anaheim. Like the idea but do think it will cost quite a bit more from us.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I was thinking the same thing. Trade Myers, sign Stecher to a low cap hit and play him with OEL. Stecher and OEL would be a good pairing, probably as good as or better than OEL and Myers and much cheaper. 

downside is we get a lot smaller, but Stech gives it all he has. Would like to see him back, and lets face it, he'd be cheap. 

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Hughes - Manson
OEL - Schenn

Don't even need to get rid of Poolman (though I'm not opposed).

Trade one of Miller/Boeser/Garland for a Marino or similar.

Sign one of Lyubushkin/Zadorov/Manson.

Hughes, Marino

OEL, Lyubushkin

Make up the bottom 4 out of some mix of Rathbone, Poolman, Dermott, Schenn and Burroughs.

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

I don't think Manson is coming that cheap and for that short term. He will be in high demand and if he's going to take a discount it will be to go back to Anaheim. Like the idea but do think it will cost quite a bit more from us.

Yeah, I like Manson a lot but he's likely looking at $5m+ (or at least high $4's)...:wacko:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

downside is we get a lot smaller, but Stech gives it all he has. Would like to see him back, and lets face it, he'd be cheap. 

My only thing against Stecher (besides the size) is that we don't really need more bottom 4 guys. We have Rathbone, Dermott, Schenn, Poolman and Burroughs already. That cap space is needed elsewhere IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1