The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck D Pairings -- Some Surprises

Rate this topic

JamesB

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

What a useless comment.

Haha- ok?

You're high on something, I'm just not sure it's hockey....

What's useless about saying surrounding your star players with a good supporting cast is important? 

Edited by Harold Drunken

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Haha- ok?

You're high on something, I'm just not sure it's hockey....

What's useless about saying surrounding your star players with a supporting cast is important? 

Just try adding something to the conversation that's not so obvious and redundant.

Lol, I don't think you get to crack jokes about the "high" in my user name when you have "drunken" in yours...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Just try adding something to the conversation that's not so obvious and redundant.

Lol, I don't think you get to crack jokes about the "high" in my user name when you have "drunken" in yours...

I know, it's kind of ironic. 

I'll elaborate a little more, Gillis didn't build that core right? Nonis/Burke did - but Gillis did add a few nice pieces to help them along. Gillis, statistically was one of the most successful GM's we've had, even if a lot of the groundwork was laid previously. Gillis was not a good drafter - that's clear. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Gillis was the best GM we ever had.  The results of his clubs are the proof.  That's not arguable fact.  Benning being our worst GM is an opinion with which I agree.

He's a janitor in a university last I heard.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's a janitor in a university last I heard.

Alf forgot about what the previous regime, gifted Gillis vs what he gave JB.  It would had really been nice to see, Aquaman give Gillis a chance, to build his own core cause that opportunity alone would had really shown what kind of GM, Gills was. Anyways, with hindsight both Gillis & JB were getting stale and they both failed despite the participation trophies or picks.  As for the current regime, the (small) moves: signing free asset(s), Hamonic trade to clear cap space and the gamble on Dermot seemed like very calculated moves but the true test will come with other bigger name players.  I am still cautiously optimistic about Allvin and hopefully, with JRs' guidance he will have an opportunity to lead the Canucks to a cup.  JR just has a knack for winning...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Alf forgot about what the previous regime, gifted Gillis vs what he gave JB.  It would had really been nice to see, Aquaman give Gillis a chance, to build his own core cause that opportunity alone would had really shown what kind of GM, Gills was. Anyways, with hindsight both Gillis & JB were getting stalen and they both failed despite the participation trophies or picks.  As for the current regime, the (small) moves: signing free asset(s), Hamonic trade to clear cap space and the gamble on Dermot seemed like very calculated moves but the true test will come with other bigger name players. 

Gillis’ teams won two President’s trophies and got to a Cup Final.  He was using picks to build the supporting cast so his team could accomplish those heights.  Our owner was foolish to let Gillis go when Gillis said it was time to rebuild.  Gillis would have rebuilt properly.  Lots of high picks on a deep dive for five seasons.  Sadly our owner chose the Benning “no” plan. 

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gillis’ teams won two President’s trophies and got to a Cup Final.  He was using picks to build the supporting cast so his team could accomplish those heights.  Our owner was foolish to let Gillis go when Gillis said it was time to rebuild.  Gillis would have rebuilt properly.  Lots of high picks on a deep dive for five seasons.  Sadly our owner chose the Benning “no” plan. 

Aquaman is the one common factor associated with both.  I really hope the last mess he created in the last regime, has taught him enough about his role as owner - but who knows ?  So far Allvin, is off to a good start.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Burke was my favorite. interesting that he dealt the best all time Canuck and acquired the other 3!

• Vintage 2

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf: just wondering, which Canuck owner would you prefer, a McCaw type or Aquaman ?   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 6/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, Harold Drunken said:

Then we would have to blame Desjardins too, I guess blame anybody but Benning is the motto?

The GM signs the players, trades for players, drafts players (with some help) and literally build the team.... but let's not hold him accountable at all for the teams performance for the better part of a decade. If Jim Benning was a great GM who rebuilds, he would have left a quality team with depth, a prospect pipeline who is playoff caliber. This team is and has none of those, so let's blame Travis Green for that? Come on man lol - is Benning your step father?

If Benning was such a great GM and drafter, where are all our top notch prospects? I'll tell you, he traded them along with most of our picks for players past their prime on bad contracts. The end. 

I think Benning is a benefactor of rebuilding through the draft. Never have we seen such top pick success in Vancouver. He is a rebuilder and not a finisher. Rutherford and Alvin are finishers.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Actually Linden didn’t let this process start.

Benning should’ve replaced his coach at the beginning of the season; not re-signed Green.

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

I think Benning is a benefactor of rebuilding through the draft. Never have we seen such top pick success in Vancouver. He is a rebuilder and not a finisher. Rutherford and Alvin are finishers.

Yes yes yes, you've mentioned this several times - albeit without any evidence or facts. 

I accept that that's your option, and that's ok. We'll never agree on that....and that is also ok.

Hugs.

4 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yes yes yes, you've mentioned this several times - albeit without any evidence or facts. 

I accept that that's your option, and that's ok. We'll never agree on that....and that is also ok.

Hugs.

Oh here are facts:

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

Podkolzin

Traded 1st for Miller

Demko

Evidence

23OA15 Boeser          324GP - 121G - 135A - 256Pts

05OA17 Pettersson    245GP -   97G - 124A - 221Pts

07OA18 Hughes         205GP -   19G - 146A - 165Pts

10OA19 Podkolzin       79GP -    14G -   12A -   26Pts

Miller            202GP -    74G - 143A - 217Pts

TOTAL         1055GP - 325G - 560A - 885Pts

36OA14 Demko         136GP - 67W - 53L - 2.84GAA - 0.912sv%

Edited by Me_

Just now, Me_ said:

Oh here are facts:

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

Podkolzin

Traded 1st for Miller

Demko

Evidence

Boeser          324GP - 121G - 135A - 256Pts

Pettersson    245GP -   97G - 124A - 221Pts

Hughes         205GP -   19G - 146A - 165Pts

Podkolzin       79GP -    14G -   12A -   26Pts

Demko         136GP - 67W - 53L - 2.84GAA - 0.912sv%

Drafting top 10 should result in a decent to good player.  The Demko pick and the Boeser pick were better than expected for sure.   The misses of Virtanen and Juiolevi happen to all teams going through an extended bottom feeder cycle. Considering the series of high picks there should be a decent group of younger guys in the group. 

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Oh here are facts:

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

Podkolzin

Traded 1st for Miller

Demko

Evidence

23OA15 Boeser          324GP - 121G - 135A - 256Pts

05OA17 Pettersson    245GP -   97G - 124A - 221Pts

07OA18 Hughes         205GP -   19G - 146A - 165Pts

10OA19 Podkolzin       79GP -    14G -   12A -   26Pts

TOTAL         1055GP - 325G - 560A - 885Pts

36OA14 Demko         136GP - 67W - 53L - 2.84GAA - 0.912sv%

Jeff Foxworthy Lol GIF by NBC

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Aiiight.

All hail Patrick White.

Spooner

Dickinson

Poolman

Schmidt

Toffoli debacle, traded a pick and "ran out of time" to re-sign  - walked for nothing

LOUI Player Name

Sam Gagner

Del Zotto

Antione Roussel

Jay Beagle

Luca Sbisa

Bonino, Clendening and a 2nd round pick for Sutter 

McCann, 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick for Gudbranson (my god)

Sven Baertschi

Gustaf Forsling for Adam Clendening

Alex Burmistrov

Travis Hamonic

Tim Schaller

$6m for Myers

Tanev, Stecher, Toffoli walk while keeping Virtanen, signing Holtby and trading for Schmidt (3rd rounder)

Our current cap situation

Our current lack of prospects

.Now believe it or not, there are actually MORE to list but I made my point...

Now, you Benning also had many draft misses - shocking I know. 

Jake Virtanen

Nikita Tryamkin

Guillaume Brisbois

Olli Juolevi

Kole Lind

Jonah Gadjovich

Jett Woo

Tyler Madden

But yeah you're right, Benning is a master rebuilder. Ugh a bit the bait, again....

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1