Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck D Pairings -- Some Surprises

Rate this topic


JamesB
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/1/2022 at 1:11 AM, Drakrami said:

Overrating our players isn't going to us anywhere other than adrenaline high for some. If all our players are all Norris calibre, Vezina calibre, we would be in the playoffs right now competing in the conference finals. I dont see any of our players (except for Demko) driving the play like McKinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl even if they grow for a few years. The reason we got OEL is because Benning saw shortcomings from Hughes and wanted to have a #1 to take some of the tougher minutes off his shoulders. Since we spent our quota on Hughes and OEL, we are not left with much caproom for RD. There isn't much of a market for RD to begin with, so we are left with scrapping up a Hamonic deal and Poolman deal for 4 years. Getting a #1 RD won't be easy, we'll just have to wait and see. 

So basically, sh!t players on a sh!t team.

 

I don’t respect your opinion.

 

By the way. Boudreau is the coach for the entire year and the Canucks finish top 4 in the conference. 
 

Watch next season unfold and eat your words.

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2022 at 3:13 PM, Me_ said:

So basically, sh!t players on a sh!t team.

 

I don’t respect your opinion.

 

By the way. Boudreau is the coach for the entire year and the Canucks finish top 4 in the conference. 
 

Watch next season unfold and eat your words.

 

 

 

lol.. Not expecting you to like my opinion, I'm sorry to hurt your feelings. Just a realistic assessement. Not many people will be expecting us to be making the playoffs next season let alone going to round 2, 3... This includes our management. This is why you are hearing rumors of a teardown and we being a country club. The overrating of our core players (other than Demko) is not helping. There are better players out there and they are getting it done. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol.. Not expecting you to like my opinion, I'm sorry to hurt your feelings. Just a realistic assessement. Not many people will be expecting us to be making the playoffs next season let alone going to round 2, 3... This includes our management. This is why you are hearing rumors of a teardown and we being a country club. The overrating of our core players (other than Demko) is not helping. There are better players out there and they are getting it done. 

Sorry are you referring to Kypreos for the “country club atmosphere”? 
 

Really? Now it’s a legit thing?

 

Or is this “they didn’t make the playoffs therefore it must be a country club atmosphere”?

 

A country club team winning at a .638 pace under Boudreau.

 

I am fully expecting this team to make the playoffs. All they have to do for that, is to trim some fat around the edges and get a couple more pieces.

 

Should it stay as is, they’re still making the playoffs.

 

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol.. Not expecting you to like my opinion, I'm sorry to hurt your feelings. Just a realistic assessement. Not many people will be expecting us to be making the playoffs next season let alone going to round 2, 3... This includes our management. This is why you are hearing rumors of a teardown and we being a country club. The overrating of our core players (other than Demko) is not helping. There are better players out there and they are getting it done. 

We should keep Petey.  Trade the rest, including Demko and Hughes, over the next two seasons to add high picks and A+ DEFENSEMEN prospects.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We should keep Petey.  Trade the rest, including Demko and Hughes, over the next two seasons to add high picks and A+ DEFENSEMEN prospects.  

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Me_ said:

Sorry are you referring to Kypreos for the “country club atmosphere”? 
 

Really? Now it’s a legit thing?

 

Or is this “they didn’t make the playoffs therefore it must be a country club atmosphere”?

 

A country club team winning at a .638 pace under Boudreau.

 

I am fully expecting this team to make the playoffs. All they have to do for that, is to trim some fat around the edges and get a couple more pieces.

 

Should it stay as is, they’re still making the playoffs.

 

I'm reading this and agreeing that it's correct - if we keep Miller.

I think the other view (the one you're arguing with) is of us losing Miller and taking a step back to hopefully take a bigger step forward.

I dislike both of these paths forward - I don't like the first option because I don't think this ever becomes a Cup winner as currently constructed, even with trimming fat and adding pieces and even though I absolutely hate the thought of losing Miller. The second is probably the better option if we ever want to become a true contender, but I really don't want to take another step back again.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

I'm reading this and agreeing that it's correct - if we keep Miller.

I think the other view (the one you're arguing with) is of us losing Miller and taking a step back to hopefully take a bigger step forward.

I dislike both of these paths forward - I don't like the first option because I don't think this ever becomes a Cup winner as currently constructed, even with trimming fat and adding pieces and even though I absolutely hate the thought of losing Miller. The second is probably the better option if we ever want to become a true contender, but I really don't want to take another step back again.

Then say no to trading Miller. Because that’s our best player and one of the best in the game. 
 

That’s the biggest step back the Canucks could take outside of trading Demko.

 

Edited by Me_
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Me_ said:

Sorry are you referring to Kypreos for the “country club atmosphere”? 
 

Really? Now it’s a legit thing?

 

Or is this “they didn’t make the playoffs therefore it must be a country club atmosphere”?

 

A country club team winning at a .638 pace under Boudreau.

 

I am fully expecting this team to make the playoffs. All they have to do for that, is to trim some fat around the edges and get a couple more pieces.

 

Should it stay as is, they’re still making the playoffs.

 

 

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Then say no to reading Miller. Because that’s our best player and one of the best in the game. 
 

That’s the biggest step back the Canucks could take outside of trading Demko.

It's this type of mindset that has led us to where we are today. We keep Miller, maybe scrape into the playoffs and get bounced by one of the elite teams. Then what? Miller walks as a UFA or we pay him a contract that we can't afford. 

 

We have one of worse prospect pools in the league, no cap space, our entire right side of the defense needs to be rebuilt, and most of our current core is not signed to long term contracts. 

 

We can keep trying to tread water and go nowhere, or we can accept that it's going to require taking some steps back before we can move forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

 

It's this type of mindset that has led us to where we are today. We keep Miller, maybe scrape into the playoffs and get bounced by one of the elite teams. Then what? Miller walks as a UFA or we pay him a contract that we can't afford. 

 

We have one of worse prospect pools in the league, no cap space, our entire right side of the defense needs to be rebuilt, and most of our current core is not signed to long term contracts. 

 

We can keep trying to tread water and go nowhere, or we can accept that it's going to require taking some steps back before we can move forward. 

Our prospects are playing in the NHL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

And yet we still have glaring holes in the roster. 

Are you… un….. satisfied with your team?

 

Theres this team that’s pretty good you may wanna follow… the hell are they called again…

 

Tam… Color….. don’t remember…

 

Edited by Me_
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

And yet we still have glaring holes in the roster. 

Glaring holes that Benning tried to fill with expensive, and old UFAs.  Something we don't want to do anymore.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Our prospects are playing in the NHL. 

I actually love this point.

Every time I hear people talking about our weak prospect pool or our horrible prospect development - I come back to the consideration that we have super legit young players who would make our prospect depth look stellar if they weren’t already garnering Calder votes.

And they will all continue to get better I believe.

But when that happens we’re still not good enough to compete for the Cup until we get much stronger in certain areas.

Not spit-shine better like I wish, but really, properly better like cutting off our best player as an investment in our future.

It really sucks but I’m afraid it’s the only path.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

I actually love this point.

Every time I hear people talking about our weak prospect pool or our horrible prospect development - I come back to the consideration that we have super legit young players who would make our prospect depth look stellar if they weren’t already garnering Calder votes.

And they will all continue to get better I believe.

But when that happens we’re still not good enough to compete for the Cup until we get much stronger in certain areas.

Not spit-shine better like I wish, but really, properly better like cutting off our best player as an investment in our future.

It really sucks but I’m afraid it’s the only path.

I was with you up until the bold part, it kinda went off the rails for a minute. 

 

The thing is, it's not a one size fits all statement when it comes to prospects and when the enter the NHL. Should Hughes and Petterson played in the AHL, maybe but I don't think it really would have affected the outcome. Should Hoglander have played in the AHL, yes. Some of our prospects were getting Calder votes but at the end of the day I am far less concerned with our prospects winning Calders and more concerned with our prospects being solid NHLers when they step into the league and developing a consistent game. I think the rush to get prospects to the NHL in the past comes from a gap in succession planning on the roster. When the Sedin's stepped away, Gagne & Vanek were moved all within one season, it forced those prospects into action early. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

I was with you up until the bold part, it kinda went off the rails for a minute. 

 

The thing is, it's not a one size fits all statement when it comes to prospects and when the enter the NHL. Should Hughes and Petterson played in the AHL, maybe but I don't think it really would have affected the outcome. Should Hoglander have played in the AHL, yes. Some of our prospects were getting Calder votes but at the end of the day I am far less concerned with our prospects winning Calders and more concerned with our prospects being solid NHLers when they step into the league and developing a consistent game. I think the rush to get prospects to the NHL in the past comes from a gap in succession planning on the roster. When the Sedin's stepped away, Gagne & Vanek were moved all within one season, it forced those prospects into action early. 

Oh yeah agreed.

I think you Misunderstood my meaning in that part - I wasn’t referring to prospects any longer.

I was trying to say (perhaps in an off the rails sort of way) that all of our great younger guys still aren’t going to be enough unless we bolster our team with some bold moves like trading Miller.

And I REALLY don’t want to trade Miller, but I’m afraid we have to do that or something like that if we ever want to see Petey bring Vancouver a Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Glaring holes that Benning tried to fill with expensive, and old UFAs.  Something we don't want to do anymore.  

And he started relatively quickly, didn't he..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol.. Not expecting you to like my opinion, I'm sorry to hurt your feelings. Just a realistic assessement. Not many people will be expecting us to be making the playoffs next season let alone going to round 2, 3... This includes our management. This is why you are hearing rumors of a teardown and we being a country club. The overrating of our core players (other than Demko) is not helping. There are better players out there and they are getting it done. 

What makes your opinion any more "realistic" than the rest of ours? (Hint, nothing).

 

There are always rumours but that's exactly what they are. Media needs something to fill the space and they speculate and chatter.

 

Don't under estimate our core either....we've beat the Av's (and MacKinnon) fairly recently and in some great games in the past. Any team that gets momentum in the playoffs looks great. Also: number one picks should be getting it done so to compare them you have to keep that in perspective. There's a reason they go first overall.

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2022 at 1:54 PM, JM_ said:

I guess for me he's an upgrade on both Poolman and Burroughs, Poolman mostly because he probably won't be on the roster regularly anyway. 

 

I'm kind of hoping we can just replace Poolman with Stech. I like Burroughs as a 7/8. 

 

I'm also hoping we can trade for or get via UFA someone like Manson. 

I like Burr. But I did feel letting Stetcher walk was the wrong move he bled blue and green. For a lil fella the defended zone entries fearlessly. Similarly to being a big Garland fan. These are the lil dogs you keep and surround with bigger meaner dogs. Burr is a great #7 guy. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...