The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Depp wins libel lawsuit against Heard, but both sides guilty of defamation, jury finds

DonLever

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

actually now that I think of it there was one movie of his I didn't mind, called Dead Man which was a pretty interesting take on a western. Not sure if it was him or the writing that was good. 

He absolutely kills it in Fear and Loathing. He nails his portrayal of Hunter S Thompson. 

Edited by Gnarcore

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

He absolutely kills it in Fear and Loathing. He nails his portrayal of Hunter S Thompson. 

didn't see it, I just had to suffer through that pirate crap when my daughter was a kid. 

Edited by JM_
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

didn't see it, I just had to suffer through that pirate crap when my daughter was a kid. 

I remember Depp from some teen TV show filmed up here.  Never heard of the girl.  Don’t know anything about the case.  Just find it sad two people, who clearly loved each other enough to exchange vows expressing as much, end up in the news like this.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember Depp from some teen TV show filmed up here.  Never heard of the girl.  Don’t know anything about the case.  Just find it sad two people, who clearly loved each other enough to exchange vows expressing as much, end up in the news like this.  

they're both nuts, and massive attention hounds, and have lots of money and time. Not a good set of conditions. 

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

You should. Him and Benicio Del Toro are outstanding in it. I was watching Joe Rogan and they were discussing the trial and Joe and Depp have a mutual friend and they discussed how Hunter was one of Depp's influences.  With how Hunter lived it would explain a lot of Depp. Massive fame and money you normally can't burn through. A healthy intake of drugs and alcohol explain a lot lol

• Vintage 2

I admit getting caught up in the absurdity of the trial... but after stumbling across this thread on Twitter, my thoughts on Depp did a strong 180. There are about a dozen creepy/weird things he has done that challenged my view that he was a victim in all of this:

Maybe the grossest was letting his 15yr old daughter date and move in with a 23yr old. 

• Haha 1

I'm glad it's over. Tired of seeing clips of the case all over my feeds. I felt Amber was a poor actress who couldn't generate real tears to save her life. 

With that said, I think both of these individuals are f'd up, and toxic for each other. I'm guessing there WAS violence from both of them, and more than anything it was just a really bad situation they progressed into. 

Glad the world can now move on with our own lives.

1 hour ago, Bell said:

Whatever people think of Depp as a human you cannot deny he is one of the best actors to have walked the planet.

He reminds me of the hotshot hockey prospect that only relied on his talent to get by.  Works fine in junior but once you get to the 'big leagues', you can't get by on talent alone.  IMHO, that is Depp. 

Herb Brooks (to his Team USA team in 1980):  "You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."

He certainly is a significantly better actor than Heard (and that likely played a part on the outcome of the jury verdict if you get my drift).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He certainly is a significantly better actor than Heard (and that likely played a part on the outcome of the jury verdict if you get my drift).

Any time it comes out that someone deliberately crapped in your bed, anything that person says, afterword is just the ravings of a crazy person.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Any time it comes out that someone deliberately crapped in your bed, anything that person says, afterword is just the ravings of a crazy person.

Snorting coke in court is probably more crazy than crapping on your own bed.  That girl is truly special.  Wonder if Depp ever gets any of that 15 mil

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Why did anyone care about this? is JD still relevant? I lost track of him in the million Pirate movies...and I dont know the female.

Is the interest because of reports of territorial pooping? 

War in Ukraine, Mass shootings all the time, inflation. It provided a nice distraction from things that actually matter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bell said:

Snorting coke in court is probably more crazy than crapping on your own bed.  That girl is truly special.  Wonder if Depp ever gets any of that 15 mil

Heard also partially won (so that two million has to come out of that 15 million).  Lawyers don't work for free so they'll take a good chunk of that 15 million.

Amber Heard ‘absolutely’ not able to pay $10M in damages (msn.com)

Not suprisingly Amber Heard is not able to pay the $10 million.  That is usual typical in these high profile civil cases.  The family of OJ  Simpson victims did not get much from their civil suit.

But then it is not about the money.  Johnny Depp is happy he won  the defamation suit.   He probably still have plenty of money left.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Very sad and pathetic at the same time.  When he started his film career, it didn't take long for him to climb to the

cream of the crop.  He was becoming one of the better actors of his generation.  How far he has slid downhill

in the past few years.  He'll have to work his arse off if he wants to turn this sinking ship around.

Meanwhile, Robert Downey Jr, who had horrific addiction issues, managed to straighten himself out and has

since become one of the best actors of his generation.  One watch of his portrayal of Charlie Chaplin and I

knew he was going to have a great career.

Not so much slid downhill but after several years of having his name dragged in the mud through the media and accused by Amber Heard with zero charges or anything to ever come of it due to changing stories and no evidence of abuse on her.

This was likely the last court proceeding he could utilize to prove his innocence while in the defamation suit.

Years ago his career was slammed because of this, he really has been a very solid actor who has nailed various roles with much success. He knows who walked away from his corner when the $hi! hit the fan years ago, this includes Disney etc whom even hinted at wanting to for example renew the Pirates of the Caribbean films etc. Depp is in record as saying he won't go back. Even though hundreds of millions could help his bank account.

As for his earlier years, he had a choice to leave 21 Jump Street and nearly could have to pursue his real passion. He started to realize his acting career was taking off and chose to finish the show and become an actor full time.

3 hours ago, Bell said:

It ends up being 10 million 385 thousand.

I doubt she pays anything. She pledged millions to charity last time she was awarded and paid money from Depp. She chose to charities used the media to say it was being split and given to two charities. To this day it was a pledge but she never paid it. Looks good in the media at the time.

• Vintage 1