The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Depp wins libel lawsuit against Heard, but both sides guilty of defamation, jury finds

DonLever

21 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I admit getting caught up in the absurdity of the trial... but after stumbling across this thread on Twitter, my thoughts on Depp did a strong 180. There are about a dozen creepy/weird things he has done that challenged my view that he was a victim in all of this:

Maybe the grossest was letting his 15yr old daughter date and move in with a 23yr old. 

Bodyguards =/= Depp

Can't think of a situation where getting $&!# on (actually) in bed - involuntarily - wouldn't make you a victim. Can't think of a situation where getting punched out wouldn't make you a victim.

Victims can also be aggressors, but let's not water down what Amber Heard did - and she IS an abuser. Whether she was actually a victim is a question mark, considering the lack of evidence and the fact that she was caught lying so many times.

I'm not saying Depp is a saint. I'm just saying that it's wrong to think of Depp as pretending to be a victim.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Bodyguards =/= Depp

Can't think of a situation where getting $&!# on (actually) in bed - involuntarily - wouldn't make you a victim. Can't think of a situation where getting punched out wouldn't make you a victim.

Victims can also be aggressors, but let's not water down what Amber Heard did - and she IS an abuser. Whether she was actually a victim is a question mark, considering the lack of evidence and the fact that she was caught lying so many times.

I'm not saying Depp is a saint. I'm just saying that it's wrong to think of Depp as pretending to be a victim.

Congrats on only reading one of the 30 tweets and then acting like you are arguing against something I said. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Bodyguards =/= Depp

to add on this. 

Depp never claimed he was a saint, his lawyers even state that, whereas Heard claimed complete innocence with no wrongdoings despite evident proving otherwise. 

She went out of her way to portray herself as something she’s not(actually trying to go as far as to be the face of the me too movement), taking advantage of actual victims plights in doing so while slamming Depp. 

That’s what rubbed people the wrong way about her. In the end what she has done will hurt actual victims that try to come out. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

It ends up being 10 million 385 thousand.

I doubt she pays anything. She pledged millions to charity last time she was awarded and paid money from Depp. She chose to charities used the media to say it was being split and given to two charities. To this day it was a pledge but she never paid it. Looks good in the media at the time.

Yeah saw that too 

She kept arguing that pledging the money was the same as donating.  Turns out she has donated exactly 0 dollars from the money that she won in her previous case.  

The more I think about it, the more I'm not okay with people claiming "oh it's two crazy people, they both deserve whatever they get".  I'm glad that Depp got his dignity back after having his career ruined, his image, having his kids have to deal with the fact that their father is being portrayed as a domestic abuser, etc.  

I don't think that anyone sane can look at any part of that trial and come to the conclusion that Depp was the abusive one.  Amber is constantly trying to hyperventilate to produce some sort of emotion/tears, and looks to be the one doing the abusing.  They both admit to Depp retreating from arguments and going to lock himself in the shower while she's banging on the door for him to come out.  

Scary that someone can claim abuse and ruin another one's life for so long.  What if Depp wasn't famous and didn't have money to do this?  

On 6/1/2022 at 3:38 PM, 24K PureCool said:

So Depp wins, and Depp's lawyer lose. 

Surprised he won considering he lost in the UK which requires less of a burden of proof from Depp. 

UK has almost nothing to do with this case,  in the UK he sued the Paper not Amber and he had to prove that the Paper knew Ambers claims where false, which is much harder to do, if not impossible as I'm sure they just took her at her word.

2 hours ago, thrago said:

UK has almost nothing to do with this case,  in the UK he sued the Paper not Amber and he had to prove that the Paper knew Ambers claims where false, which is much harder to do, if not impossible as I'm sure they just took her at her word.

More like this case was 'trial by jury' vs 'trial by judge' in the UK case.  IMHO, that was more of an impact that what you are proposing (imho).

21 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah saw that too 

She kept arguing that pledging the money was the same as donating.  Turns out she has donated exactly 0 dollars from the money that she won in her previous case.  

The more I think about it, the more I'm not okay with people claiming "oh it's two crazy people, they both deserve whatever they get".  I'm glad that Depp got his dignity back after having his career ruined, his image, having his kids have to deal with the fact that their father is being portrayed as a domestic abuser, etc.  

I don't think that anyone sane can look at any part of that trial and come to the conclusion that Depp was the abusive one.  Amber is constantly trying to hyperventilate to produce some sort of emotion/tears, and looks to be the one doing the abusing.  They both admit to Depp retreating from arguments and going to lock himself in the shower while she's banging on the door for him to come out.  

Scary that someone can claim abuse and ruin another one's life for so long.  What if Depp wasn't famous and didn't have money to do this?  

What should we call the “male MeToo” movement?

Thanks feminism. You wanted “equality “. 

Enjoy. 

• Cheers 1

In the UK trial against the Sun, the judge was a family friend of Rupert Murdoch who basically owns the Sun.  Also, the judge's son worked for a subsidiary of the Sun and was a friend of the writer of the defamatory wife beater article. So it wasn't a fair trial to begin with.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2022 at 1:48 PM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

It ends up being 10 million 385 thousand.

I doubt she pays anything. She pledged millions to charity last time she was awarded and paid money from Depp. She chose to charities used the media to say it was being split and given to two charities. To this day it was a pledge but she never paid it. Looks good in the media at the time.

Unlikely to come as a shock to anyone but…