The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquiring Nicolas Roy for 3C

While there are certainly some decent UFA options (Paul, Tierney, Sturm) for our 3C hole, Roy seems to be a really good fit with his age, ability, size, being right handed etc. I feel like he'd be an excellent fit.

Now given Vegas' cap issues, he's certainly ripe for a predatory offer sheet, but I wonder what the (friendlier) trade value would be instead of that 23' 2nd round pick (for up to $4.2m offer sheet)? 

Given the reality of a potential offer sheet, it shouldn't be much over that amount though.

Thoughts?

He’s definitely one of my targets and should easily be able to get him. He’d be an awesome addition and would be our 3C for the forseeable future. 

Edit: As a matter of fact we might be able to get a couple of their guys given their current cap situation. 

Edited by Pears
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While there are certainly some decent UFA options (Paul, Tierney, Sturm) for our 3C hole, Roy seems to be a really good fit with his age, ability, size, being right handed etc. I feel like he'd be an excellent fit.

Now given Vegas' cap issues, he's certainly ripe for a predatory offer sheet, but I wonder what the (friendlier) trade value would be instead of that 23' 2nd round pick (for up to $4.2m offer sheet)? 

Given the reality of a potential offer sheet, it shouldn't be much over that amount though.

Thoughts?

I think you offer the 2023 3rd and someone off the reserve list.  Its pretty clear that if they don't take it we can escalate it quite easily. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Pears said:

He’s definitely one of my targets and should easily be able to get him. He’d be an awesome addition and would be our 3C for the forseeable future. 

Edit: As a matter of fact we might be able to get a couple of their guys given their current cap situation. 

Yeah... Hague is pretty tempting too. Another LD, sure, but that ability and size...*drool*

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I think you offer the 2023 3rd and someone off the reserve list.  Its pretty clear that if they don't take it we can escalate it quite easily. 

Wonder who they'd want...?

Just now, aGENT said:

*Oof* that seems a bit rich (unless he didn't intend to sign, which seems unlikely at this point). Think I'd rather surrender the 2nd.

Maybe a 4th and McD? 

I'm not sold on NCAA guys being instant hits, it could be quite a while, if ever, he makes it here. 

But the 2nd would work too, that has a bit more of a take it or take it via offer sheet vibe. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Maybe a 4th and McD? 

I'm not sold on NCAA guys being instant hits, it could be quite a while, if ever, he makes it here. 

But the 2nd would work too, that has a bit more of a take it or take it via offer sheet vibe. 

I don't think he'll be an instant hit. Even after this year of college, he likely has a year or so in Abbotsford. But he's got a world class shot, great attitude etc. Needs to improve the skating though. 

I think he can definitely be a (cheap) solid middle 6 contributor in a few years though. Right when we're (hopefully) contending and could use that cheap, quality depth.

Roy would be a great target for us, but it's not an option to bank on because Vegas and Vancouver are in the same conference. However, Dadanov could get picky with his NTC after that debacle at the deadline and Vancouver might be one of his preferred options. That's probably the only scenario where it might happen.

To VGK: McDonough + Ferland + 3rd 2022

To VAN: Dadanov + Roy

Sign Roy to something like 4 years, 3M-3.5M. 

Canucks acquire their core 3C behind Pettersson and Horvat and an effective top-9 forward (and incidentally a Russian for Podkolzin and possibly Kuzmenko). Trade is a little expensive but nothing that the Canucks can't afford to lose, plus they move Ferland's LTIR money so they can actually accrue cap space next year. If we are open to using the offersheet, I'd rather go after Kakko. One year at under 4.2M costs a 2023 2nd, which is a good price for a recent 2nd OA pick who can play with Pettersson here. 

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

*Oof* that seems a bit rich (unless he didn't intend to sign, which seems unlikely at this point). Think I'd rather surrender the 2nd.

That's what I was thinking.  If we're helping them with their cap situation (taking Dadonov along with Roy), our return should be minimal, e.g. Ferland for cap relief (I know, I know, LTIR stipulations are being oversimplified) and a pick.  McDonagh's a darkhorse prospect we should hold onto (probably just behind Klimovich, Karlsson on our prospect list).

• Cheers 2

Not a fan of offer sheets given the revenge one ... and Vegas will have loads of cap space to do that against us with picks from this draft and 2023's at a  time when if Allvin can straighten us out we should be in our window.    That said aGENT really good trade target.   Think they'd probably want Klim back ... and that might be enough to make it work with them.    Don't know how much of a threat they see us ... probably not much of one so definitely could be a possibility despite being in our own division.   Vegas was a favourite entering into last season ... Eichel was their Kucherov "keep someone of the LTIR" play.    It was great that it blew up in their faces - too many important guys off the team for too long.   Roy ... could fit him in with a minor trade even Pearson. 

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't think he'll be an instant hit. Even after this year of college, he likely has a year or so in Abbotsford. But he's got a world class shot, great attitude etc. Needs to improve the skating though. 

I think he can definitely be a (cheap) solid middle 6 contributor in a few years though. Right when we're (hopefully) contending and could use that cheap, quality depth.

sure but we're at least replacing him with a young C. We'd be able to sign Roy for his best 4-5 years of his career probably. AM is only 3 years younger.

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not a fan of offer sheets given the revenge one ... and Vegas will have loads of cap space to do that against us with picks from this draft and 2023's at a  time when if Allvin can straighten us out we should be in our window.    That said aGENT really good trade target.   Think they'd probably want Klim back ... and that might be enough to make it work with them.    Don't know how much of a threat they see us ... probably not much of one so definitely could be a possibility despite being in our own division.   Vegas was a favourite entering into last season ... Eichel was their Kucherov "keep someone of the LTIR" play.    It was great that it blew up in their faces - too many important guys off the team for too long.   Roy ... could fit him in with a minor trade even Pearson. 

moving Klimovich would be a mistake, imo. We need bigger F's like him. 

I'm not sure why people are so concerned about the revenge piece. I mean, so what? usually its quite a good return, and the player has to want to leave. 

Like AD but also don’t think high enough rated prospect to get this done and salary cap would be very problematic. 
Great target to go after, if Vegas loses Roy after losing Tuch, the heart of that team is gone. 
I like it a lot though would expect significantly higher prospect.
Don’t think Rathbone gets that deal done though would do it given Q and many more years of OEL. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not a fan of offer sheets given the revenge one ...

Hence why I'm suggesting a trade as an alternative.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

and Vegas will have loads of cap space to do that against us with picks from this draft and 2023's at a  time when if Allvin can straighten us out we should be in our window.    That said aGENT really good trade target.   Think they'd probably want Klim back ... and that might be enough to make it work with them.    Don't know how much of a threat they see us ... probably not much of one so definitely could be a possibility despite being in our own division.   Vegas was a favourite entering into last season ... Eichel was their Kucherov "keep someone of the LTIR" play.    It was great that it blew up in their faces - too many important guys off the team for too long.   Roy ... could fit him in with a minor trade even Pearson. 

I think of rather keep Klimovich as well. I think there's a trade there that keeps the price reasonable given the risk of offer sheet.  We only need to offer them something worth a bit more than the 2nd they'd otherwise get in an offer sheet. And if we can help them out with a guy like Dadanov as @Phil_314 eluded to...

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Like AD but also don’t think high enough rated prospect to get this done and salary cap would be very problematic. 
Great target to go after, if Vegas loses Roy after losing Tuch, the heart of that team is gone. 
I like it a lot though would expect significantly higher prospect.
Don’t think Rathbone gets that deal done though would do it given Q and many more years of OEL. 

That's the nice thing about this. Given the risk of an offer sheet and their cap situation, guys like Hague and Roy are ripe for the plucking and for below market value. Personally I think something with Rathbone (plus maybe a mid-late pick), while talking Dadanov back, would likely be enough to nab Hague AND Roy. 

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

sure but we're at least replacing him with a young C. We'd be able to sign Roy for his best 4-5 years of his career probably. AM is only 3 years younger.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

moving Klimovich would be a mistake, imo. We need bigger F's like him. 

I'm not sure why people are so concerned about the revenge piece. I mean, so what? usually its quite a good return, and the player has to want to leave. 

I don't rate AMcD much differently than Klimovich. Surprised you'd freely hand over one vs the other.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Thoughts?

I really like Nicolas Roy, RFA,  25, 6'4, C/ RW  just what we need.. 750,000 last season

2021-22 - GP 78 -G 15 -- PTS 39

2020-21 - GP 50 - G 6 -- PTS 15

Will be looking for 2 yrs X 3.5 million show me more from Vegas ?Vegas is up against the cap but can't afford to lose Roy with crazy offer sheet..

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

Thoughts?

They're in a cap crunch, no way I give up a second. Canucks are helping them out of their conundrum so generally you want to take advantage of a team like that, not offer them good value.

• Cheers 1