The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquiring Nicolas Roy for 3C

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

They're in a cap crunch, no way I give up a second. Canucks are helping them out of their conundrum so generally you want to take advantage of a team like that, not offer them good value.

I think the value has to be close to a second, or they just make you offer sheet him and take the 2nd. Maybe even slightly more than the second as that benefits you as well by likely being able to get and extend the player for a lower cap hit than you probably would in an offer sheet scenario.

Keeping the deal more "fair" to VGK also means you're not making an enemy that will turn around and offer sheet you when the opportunity arises (see: MON vs CAR), as well keeps them open to other, future trades. In other words, we certainly shouldn't be paying market value, but we also shouldn't try to outright screw them either. What goes around, comes around.

Edited by aGENT

I’d do Roy and Dadonov for Höglander.  They get massive cap relief and we switch a small middle 9 forward who doesn’t really have a spot in the top 6 for our long term 3C.

I’d then trade Miller and the 15OA for the 2OA and Bahl.  We get 2 big boys in Slafkovsky and Bahl for the future.

Slafkovsky      Pettersson     Boeser

Kuzmenko      Horvat           Podkolzin 

McDonough    Roy              Klimovich/Karlsson 

That’s a great top 9 for the future.  Also a much bigger team than what we have right now. 

I could see MTL taking a run at him. Have the draft picks to do it. They need C depth, Roy being from Quebec and all too.  Dvorak is miscast as a C.  Especially if MTL makes room by moving Hoffman/Armia.

Roy would definitely help a nice add tho for VAN 

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d do Roy and Dadonov for Höglander.  They get massive cap relief and we switch a small middle 9 forward who doesn’t really have a spot in the top 6 for our long term 3C.

I’d then trade Miller and the 15OA for the 2OA and Bahl.  We get 2 big boys in Slafkovsky and Bahl for the future.

Slafkovsky      Pettersson     Boeser

Kuzmenko      Horvat           Podkolzin 

McDonough    Roy              Klimovich/Karlsson 

That’s a great top 9 for the future.  Also a much bigger team than what we have right now. 

How about this...?

Obviously we'd need to move Miller (and possibly Myers) first to facilitate the cap space. Then we take on Dadanov, Hague and and Roy for Poolman, Dickinson and Hoglander.

They get a few cheaper replacement players (and Poolman may even be able to go on IR if it helps them), including a promising young Hoglander (that is still waiver free as well if they need it).

Hague and Roy are probably around $3-$3.5m each on extensions and Dadanov is $5m so we're taking on $11-$12m (but better fitting players) and sending back about $6m for a net $5-$6m add on our end/saving on theirs.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think the value has to be close to a second, or they just make you offer sheet him and take the 2nd. Maybe even slightly more than the second as that benefits you as well by likely being able to get and extend the player for a lower cap hit than you probably would in an offer sheet scenario.

Keeping the deal more "fair" to VGK also means you're not making an enemy that will turn around and offer sheet you when the opportunity arises (see: MON vs CAR), as well keeps them open to other, future trades. In other words, we certainly shouldn't be paying market value, but we also shouldn't try to outright screw them either. What goes around, comes around.

Why would you offer the same as an offer sheet? That's actually letting them off the hook.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't rate AMcD much differently than Klimovich. Surprised you'd freely hand over one vs the other.

why? we've seen Klim in Abby and at least have a sense of him playing in a pro league. 

2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

Why would you offer the same as an offer sheet? That's actually letting them off the hook.

Think I covered that pretty well. We also won't be the only team bidding...

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

why? we've seen Klim in Abby and at least have a sense of him playing in a pro league. 

And we have a sense of McDonagh playing against men in college where he's shown more than Klimovich has.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

And we have a sense of McDonagh playing against men in college where he's shown more than Klimovich has.

hmm... can't agree there, college hockey success often doesn't mean much. Klim also did what he did at 18, not 22. Holding your own on a 4th line in the AHL at 18 is more impressive to me than what a 22 year old does in college. 

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

hmm... can't agree there, college hockey success often doesn't mean much. Klim also did what he did at 18, not 22. Holding your own on a 4th line in the AHL at 18 is more impressive to me than what a 22 year old does in college. 

Sure... But it's not like AM was just scraping along. A lead scorer on his team, leader and IIRC, likely captain this coming season. I also don't think you're giving the college route enough credit. Guys frequently come out of there at least as "fully baked" as the A.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure... But it's not like AM was just scraping along. A lead scorer on his team, leader and IIRC, likely captain this coming season. I also don't think you're giving the college route enough credit. Guys frequently come out of there at least as "fully baked" as the A.

its just a personal preference thing for me. It would be great if A McD turned out to be as good as Roy, e.g. I see it as a decent swap in now talent for later talent. 

I just really like Klim too, we need big nasty wingers on good deals.