The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How far are we from being a playoff contender?

Rate this topic

Title pretty much says it all... 

Mid-season I thought the Oilers were going to miss the playoffs yet again after they went on that losing streak (topped with the whole jersey being thrown on the ice) and we JUST started to get things going under BB. 

Now they're in the conference finals, albeit down 3-0. Still made it a long way.

I think it shows that once you get in, anything can happen. 

Obviously Edmonton's offence being run by McDavid and Draisaitl is better than ours but I'd say we obviously have the upper hand in net and the defence is probably... somewhat equal?

What do you guys think we need in order to be a consistent playoff team and how far are we realistically?

I would say our D are better at least for now the pipe is scary though. 

We need a shut down C and LHD. 

RHD is a huge area of need but we'd have to pay through the teeth for that.  We will have to address it via draft or trading a high profile player. 

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1) Another elite offensive forward.

2) Core 3C, ideally right handed.

3) At least one more strong top-4 RHD. 

4) Overall team grit, size and physicality. 

I think this kinda sums it up.

If Miller is traded, that's a lot of production that needs to be replaced. If we get guys like Podz and Hogs to the next level and Boeser has a bounceback year, that's enough to make it a wash. Scoring wasn't quite sufficient this season, so I agree with #1.

#2 - I haven't written Dickinson off quite yet. He didn't have a great season for certain, but if he isn't traded I think he will have at least a better season than last. But ideally, yes, we would have a core 3c.

We absolutely need #3. If there was any way to move Myers and use the cap for a true stud of a d-man, I'm game. Unleash Hughes.

And I do agree with #4. I think most of this team is sticking around, so the guys who management bring in need to be the ones to bring the extra size and snarl. I would also say in general we need to be a quicker team as well. That isn't often something you get along with the size without paying big bucks. 

Allvin does have his work cut out for him.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, kloubek said:

If Miller is traded, that's a lot of production that needs to be replaced. If we get guys like Podz and Hogs to the next level and Boeser has a bounceback year, that's enough to make it a wash. Scoring wasn't quite sufficient this season, so I agree with #1.

#2 - I haven't written Dickinson off quite yet. He didn't have a great season for certain, but if he isn't traded I think he will have at least a better season than last. But ideally, yes, we would have a core 3c.

We absolutely need #3. If there was any way to move Myers and use the cap for a true stud of a d-man, I'm game. Unleash Hughes.

And I do agree with #4. I think most of this team is sticking around, so the guys who management bring in need to be the ones to bring the extra size and snarl. I would also say in general we need to be a quicker team as well. That isn't often something you get along with the size without paying big bucks. 

We need another schenn with a bit more skill, a cpl of bigger tougher wingers and a 3rd line tough fast center and we're there. Nothing new though.. and with depth but we'll only have a limited amount of that to cover injuries so we're really close BUT a lot of variables that we have no idea yet but who knows, maybe it'll happen. Doesn't seem like JR is willing to sell the farm for a thin playoff team and that's quite the switch from the entire history of the Canucks show... Stay tuned!! ;)

If the conversation is to get into the playoffs, I think we're already in that conversation, but it's also far from a guaranteed thing. Seriously contending for the Cup is almost a non-starter at this point, though I could see our team going on a run to the 2nd or 3rd round if they got hot.

Next season it Canucks keep Miller, it's possible.

But after that once current contracts require extensions (Horvat, Miller, Pettersson and not to mention Podkolzin or Hoglander) then I am not so sure. At this trajectory...

b0fdeb30-006e-4bf7-8dc2-1730318518d8_text.gif

Edited by iinatcc

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

No arguments with your take other than it odd we worry about Boeser having a bounce back year. I am hoping he solidifies his career with a solid season. IMHO he hasn't truly established himself yet. 

It is as Rutherford said many times. The Canucks rely on Demko way to much to be a serious playoff contender. Yes, they might make playoffs next year but won't be a serious challenger, or shouldn't be. Moving a top 6 forward to improve the d-side has to be on the table. I am in the move Miller camp because of his age and his cost and term to re-up. Naturally I am hoping for a bidding war and that he is moved. Petey-Hughes-Demko are the core. I might add Horvat for that as well. 

As bolded Allvin does have a job to do. IMO the Canucks are still 3 years away from serious CUP contention. Look at how far the Avs have progressed and the time it has taken to get there. They are letting McDavid realize that the Oilers have a ways to go and maybe that won't happen for him in Edmonton.  

• Cheers 1

We are too slow.  Need to move Miller, and Garland for picks/prospects.  Take a step back so we can leap ahead to a place we are better than at present.  

Not happening though.  Guys we trade will be returning 23-27 year old fully developed players and later round picks.  

• Haha 1

As proven in these playoffs, actual contenders do not have albatross anchor contracts. That's essentially what separates contenders from pretenders in a cap world. 

IMO, Canucks' first order of business should be finding out how to ship out OEL without retaining salary. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The right trades to round out our depth this summer and we're in the playoffs next season and good odds of going a round in.

I think we are about 3 years from our window really opening.

Trouble is we are very likely giving up our 99 point number one centre to get that much needed depth.  What trade of Miller can bring back enough return in the now that doesn’t cause a big step back?  

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trouble is we are very likely giving up our 99 point number one centre to get that much needed depth.  What trade of Miller can bring back enough return in the now that doesn’t cause a big step back?  

As long as we get the right pieces back for him, I can live with that. He's in his prime right now, but will be declining from that when we're really ready to compete. If we can get the right pieces back and set the team up for the next 5 - 8 years, that works!

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

As long as we get the right pieces back for him, I can live with that. He's in his prime right now, but will be declining from that when we're really ready to compete. If we can get the right pieces back and set the team up for the next 5 - 8 years, that works!

You and me and most fans can live with a mostly futures trade for Miller, that cause a brief (1 or 2 year) step back.  But can our owner?  Considering JR’s most recent comments about a step back it sure sounds like the directive from the top (ownership) is to keep moving ahead.  

16 hours ago, hammertime said:

I would say our D are better at least for now the pipe is scary though. 

We need a shut down C and LHD. 

RHD is a huge area of need but we'd have to pay through the teeth for that.  We will have to address it via draft or trading a high profile player. 

It is real tough to land those RHD so hopefully if a Miller trade is made we get the one we want out of the Rangers or we can move him to LA for one (fingers crossed for 2) of theirs 

• Like 1