The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How far are we from being a playoff contender?

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Does one deep, lucky run every 12 years sounds like something we should "plan" for?

Unfortunately in the cap era we don't have a lot of math helping us.  32 teams ... two finals one win on average every ... 32 years.   If we get a final run every 12 years we are doing a little above average now...then add in 34.6-53% tax brackets and things go even further down the road .... it is what it is and every team has equal "high standards" from their fanbases.   At least quality is finally catching up to quantity. 

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Unfortunately in the cap era we don't have a lot of math helping us.  32 teams ... two finals one win on average every ... 32 years.   If we get a final run every 12 years we are doing a little above average now...then add in 34.6-53% tax brackets and things go even further down the road .... it is what it is and every team has equal "high standards" from their fanbases.   At least quality is finally catching up to quantity. 

I get the odds. That wasn't really the point. 

On 6/7/2022 at 8:12 AM, CanucksJay said:

I wouldnt want to be Dallas or Mtl.

Mtl's flukey playoffs last year sank them into the abyss this year where they had false hopes coming into this season.

Dallas should not have made the playoffs his year. If Ottenger didnt stand on his head, they prob lose the series in 5.

Canucks are in the better position. We have the better players and didnt make the playoffs for 2 years.  We are no longer fooling ourselves and sitting on the laurels of bubble achievement. Our coaching staff was terrible before BB came in. Our players underperformed for half the season.  We have assets that we can move.

While watching the first half under TG sucked, what it did was show us the potential under BB without fooling ourselves into thinking that we are a contender.  It gave us more clarity on what moves need to be made. All this data and information was critical to the new management team.

LOL look at the Oilers, they're gonna probably try to run it back next year and they will be swept again in the 2nd or 3rd round.  

They aren't deep enough but the fans are so excited that they will stay the course. 

I actually think that Calgary did themselves no favours either. 

They'll have to strip parts away to lock down Mangiapane, Johnny, and Tkachuk on big deals. I fully expect them to be a middling playoff team for the next 3-4 years and never make it far. 

42 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They'll have to strip parts away to lock down Mangiapane, Johnny, and Tkachuk on big deals. I fully expect them to be a middling playoff team for the next 3-4 years and never make it far. 

Agreed

It'll be an interesting off season for Cgy. 

Rumor is that Johnny is leaving but they are in a rough situation. They have older guys like markstrom and Tanev so window should be now but they are going backwards in terms of talent if jonny leaves. They would be smart to sell if Johnny leaves but they don't have young elite talent like Petey or Hughes to build around. Maybe Tkachuk and Lindholm? 

46 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Agreed

It'll be an interesting off season for Cgy. 

Rumor is that Johnny is leaving but they are in a rough situation. They have older guys like markstrom and Tanev so window should be now but they are going backwards in terms of talent if jonny leaves. They would be smart to sell if Johnny leaves but they don't have young elite talent like Petey or Hughes to build around. Maybe Tkachuk and Lindholm? 

I mean Lindholm is 27... They do have a really promising forward down in the AHL that led the league in rookie scoring. 

However looking at their draft picks, they're missing a ton of them over the next two years. I personally hate Calgary so I hope that they go all in and mortgage their future even more this upcoming year. 

On 6/9/2022 at 12:24 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, both Alberta teams are probably headed for NHL purgatory cause both are top heavy with limited cap and a lack of prospect depth - sounds familiar ?   Imo, the team to emulate is Colorado cause of the job Sakic is doing to keep than core together, through good situational awareness:  good drafting, knowing when to sell high on a player and understanding the cycles a team goes through.  

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, both Alberta teams are probably headed for NHL purgatory cause both are top heavy with limited cap and a lack of prospect depth - sounds familiar ?   Imo, the team to emulate is Colorado cause of the job Sakic is doing to keep than core together, through good situational awareness:  good drafting, knowing when to sell high on a player and understanding the cycles a team goes through.  

Totally.

Tricky thing Alberta plays in the AHL aka Pacific Division where a conference final is a gimmie.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:48 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

When you look at the final 4 teams, we're pretty far off. Are our top guys as good as the top guys currently playing? Probably not. Are Petey/Horvat/Miller on the same level as MacKinnon/Kadri/Rantanen or McDavid/Draisaitl or Kucherov/Stamkos? Not close.

I think we have depth though, but are they as clutch as Tampa's guys like Palat? Probably not. Probably better than the Oiler's though.

What about our defence. Hughes is as good offensively as anyone out there right now, defensively are we strong enough? I think OEL, Myers and Schenn are pretty decent but nowhere near as strong and tough as Tampa or NYR's defence. They're better than Edmonton and arguably better defensively than Colorado's though.

Finally the key factor - Demko is better than them all except for maybe Igor or Vasy.

Realistically to become a contender we need our top guys to elevate their play - Horvat, Miller, Petey and Brock all have what it takes, they just have to become bigger and better in the playoffs. We've seen it from Horvat in the bubble previously and I think J.T can play as a big strong playoff powerforward too (the way Kesler did). Our defence really needs a top guy and a 3rd line center would help with that depth.

exactly, with this core you never win nothing, and also getting younger is good but its not guarantee anything, look at Tampa Bay, they have 8 players 31-33,4 players 34-37 and how fast they can play

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

4-6 years to serious contention/favorites would be my timeline.

Petey/Hughes/Demko will be in their primes. Probably need a top 2 RD, another top forward and the right supporting group around that.

We're a ways away.

Yup.  JR shouldn’t try to compete and retool.  Just retool.  

9 hours ago, Muttley said:

Really depends on how many fans Mr,.Francesco Aquilini and family, want attending games. If I had season's tickets and I knew the team was retooling hence taking a step back, I'd be trying to jettison my seats even at an insane discount. 

giphy.webp

Yet we sold out during the JB era, or close to it....so wouldn't be worried about that much.   Aside from the playoff revenue that is.  

On 6/12/2022 at 8:30 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

4-6 years to serious contention/favorites would be my timeline.

Petey/Hughes/Demko will be in their primes. Probably need a top 2 RD, another top forward and the right supporting group around that.

We're a ways away.

Cant just rely on petey, Hughes, demko.  We need 6 or 7 core elite pieces to contend.  

39 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We are this far away...

An elite RWer

An elite #1 dman

A legit 3C

Been saying it for years.  Until we get these pieces, contending is a pipe dream.

We're not trying to assemble an all-star team.  I think we are missing one great d-man.  When you say elite, it makes me think of a top 10 d-man in the league.  

For example, if you were to throw a Colton Parayko on our team, we would instantly become a playoff lock.  Getting a younger version of someone like Jeff Petry (his peak year was when he was 33, he'll be 35 next year) would also do the trick.  

Anyways I agree with you in principle that those are all the pieces that we could really use, but I don't think that it's realistic to acquire them while still keeping our current players.  If we rebuild and get those pieces, it will take a long time and we will have our centers and d-men age out and be missing those.  

3rd line center and a right winger won't be impossible to acquire.  Defenseman will be the toughest piece to get without breaking the bank in free agency. 

14 hours ago, Muttley said:

Really depends on how many fans Mr,.Francesco Aquilini and family, want attending games. If I had season's tickets and I knew the team was retooling hence taking a step back, I'd be trying to jettison my seats even at an insane discount. 

giphy.webp

What you just said, is why Aquaman will never allow or be very hesitant to hire an executive, that will do what Yzerman is ALLOWED to do in Detroit: a full rebuild.  So us Canucks fans will always have to settle for whatever version of retool the current GM, will be doing, whilst, most of the rebuilding clubs that have good/decent GM's will be competing for a cup.  Would you settle for the Purgatory Cup instead cause the Canucks are in danger of being one of those clubs: not bad enough to get a high pick to draft a franchise player and not good enough to make the playoffs ?  Anyways,  miracles do happen and PERHAPS in my lifetime they will win a Stanley cup ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 hours ago, Muttley said:

:)

I think he brings up some valid points. Oversimplifies a tad but is definitely on the right tract, IMO.

Thanks for sharing but I am on the other side cause Millers' age and demand are not compatible with the teams window.  Secondly, there is a market for him, right now and perhaps another 90 plus season might changed, my mind but I would still prefer they sell high, on Miller. Thirdly: his take on the roster is rather rosy (imo) cause even JR has said as much, that the Canucks best asset is having a franchise goalie. 

I really enjoyed the chase with Boudreau but it was bitter sweet cause going after a top 10 pick would had been a better decision, long term and with very little cap to revamp a D core that struggles against: heavy pressure & fast teams - the Canucks will still be playoff fodder, even if they get in.  Right now, the Canucks are close to becoming a member of NHL purgatory - imo.  Another point, I disagree on, is his take on the cap going up cause there is a lot of things going on right now, that is hurting a lot of people - that are outside of the NHLs' control.   Anyways, good watch and let's see how the offseason goes - fingers crossed that Allvin will have a successful offseason.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:47 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Title pretty much says it all... 

Mid-season I thought the Oilers were going to miss the playoffs yet again after they went on that losing streak (topped with the whole jersey being thrown on the ice) and we JUST started to get things going under BB. 

Now they're in the conference finals, albeit down 3-0. Still made it a long way.

I think it shows that once you get in, anything can happen. 

Obviously Edmonton's offence being run by McDavid and Draisaitl is better than ours but I'd say we obviously have the upper hand in net and the defence is probably... somewhat equal?

What do you guys think we need in order to be a consistent playoff team and how far are we realistically?

playoff contender?? we are already there.. we were suppose to be there last year except for the diasterous start and ownership refusing to change.. as for cup contender?? prolly still far ways off... you can't just use edmonton as an example of just get in anything can happen.. they played LA without their norris caliber defenseman.. they played calgary with markstrom who Mcdavid owns since entering the league even way back with the canucks.. his GAA career vs edmonton is over 4.. then they got to colorado a real team with great offense and defense.. get swept by a backup goalie.. they are now going to be delusional and think they are close.. when really they still have no goalie and no defense..

regardless of having miller or no miller i think this team will be a playoff/wc contender.. but until we have a legit shutdown defenseman that can play defense and clear the crease.. secondary scoring outside of the core.. we ain't gonna be getting by teams like colorado anytime soon.