The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Armchair Proposal - One Season Wholesale Changes

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

What possible reason would Montreal have to take on Poolman? Let alone giving any asset for him

They were one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Take a look at their bottom pair, rumours they are looking to move Petry.

You still need to ice a team. Giving up a 5/6/7 round pick is meaningless, and Poolman is an NHL dman. He was playing pretty well under BB then got hurt.

Montreal Canadiens Depth Charts Roster and Line Projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

They were one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Take a look at their bottom pair, rumours they are looking to move Petry.

You still need to ice a team. Giving up a 5/6/7 round pick is meaningless, and Poolman is an NHL dman. He was playing pretty well under BB then got hurt.

Montreal Canadiens Depth Charts Roster and Line Projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Montreal will be hard pressed to cut enough salary, especially with the rumours of Carey Price playing next season.  

I don't see them adding any money in the summer.  

I actually think that your proposed deals are fairly even value wise, but overall we are giving up all the best players in the deals and just ending up with a couple of decent defenders and some decent picks but nothing special.  

Your roster does look good though, after signing every single free agent in the summer :) 

36 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Montreal will be hard pressed to cut enough salary, especially with the rumours of Carey Price playing next season.  

I don't see them adding any money in the summer.  

I actually think that your proposed deals are fairly even value wise, but overall we are giving up all the best players in the deals and just ending up with a couple of decent defenders and some decent picks but nothing special.  

Your roster does look good though, after signing every single free agent in the summer :) 

Fair points, Poolman doesn't have to be Montreal. The idea would be to find some teams who've struggled defensively that could use a RD. Any of the bottom feeders would do. We would even have some cap room to retain on Poolman and even Meyers. Doing so would up the market for them and potentially improve the returns. Given they both only have 2 years left on their contracts it wouldn't be a burden on us.

I would agree on marginally better, and really the improvement comes from freeing up cap / utilizing cap more effectively to add some key areas. Are we winning a cup with that group? Probably not, but are we improved enough to start making the playoffs consistently and giving our mgmt time to add at the margins and hopefully see some draft picks enter into the lineup...yes...and all the while getting our boys more and more playoff experience.

The biggest challenge in my view would getting ALL of that done....realistically there are too many moving parts and so its unlikely to get ALL of those deals done...in the end I do think being able to get Carlo and Marino into the lineup would significantly improve our team...our RD is too weak right now and Carlo would be a perfect partner for Quinn, Marino could be the defensive side for OEL...that improves us materially.

The third line is materially stronger and becomes hard to play against and can contribute offensively. That allows our top 2 lines to have more time to rest and match up. The whole goal was to create more depth, such that players aren't forced to play too much, and get more out of our 3/4 lines and our defense. I think this lineup does that.

Where I think its a bit weak, is we would be betting hard on Nikushkin to continue, Podz to take a big next step, and Debrusk to be the 25 goal scorer he was this year. So if Debrusk and / or Nikushkin flop we would definitely have some offensive issues.

Edited by NucknAsia

BOS might have zero appetite to move Carlo.

I have a feeling their 23/24 1st round picks are off the table too.

If BOS offered Lysell, Lauko, 2022 2nd and DeBrusk? Not the perfect haul people imagine but that’s still a lot for BOS to give up, but they land re-sign a premium player like Miller. 

VAN adds more to the prospect pool, recoup this year’s 2nd (albeit a later pick) and maybe a motivated DeBrusk they can flip or keep later on.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

Every stat for Montreal last season was tainted by injuries. They set a league record in man games lost.  They were actually forced to dress 43 different players throughout the season. That’s 2 complete rosters of players.  

yes. They need to ice a team. But Poolman was considered one of the worst signings of 2021. And thst was before he missed most of last season with migraines.  He still has massive question marks regarding his health despite rumours that’s he’s ready to play. 

Add in Montreals cap issues and there is literally no good reason for Montreal to trade for Poolman. They have a number of NHL ready D prospects that can fill the role that Poolman would. They can do it on ELC’s and probably fill the role better 

Edit:

Montreal just re-signed Wideman to a 2 year $755k AAV contract. Officially ending any remote need for Poolman 

Edited by qwijibo

9 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

If BOS offered Lysell, Lauko, 2022 2nd and DeBrusk? Not the perfect haul people imagine but that’s still a lot for BOS to give up, but they land re-sign a premium player like Miller. 

VAN adds more to the prospect pool, recoup this year’s 2nd (albeit a later pick) and maybe a motivated DeBrusk they can flip or keep later on.

There are lots of rumblings about them moving on from Carlo, he has been linked to a lot of trade rumours.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

There are lots of rumblings about them moving on from Carlo, he has been linked to a lot of trade rumours.

god I hope for his sake he doesn't end up in Arizona. 

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Provost said:

Feels surprising with McAvoy out until December.  They have to remain competitive if they want to have a chance to extend Pastrnak. 

Beat writer Fluto Shinzawa has him on his "not going anywhere" list - says he's a member of the upcoming leadership core.  Depending on what happens with Pastrnak (he's 1 year to UFA), the Bruins might have to do a mini-rebuild but Carlo and McAvoy are young enough to still be part of their future.  

Cam Neely says a rebuild would be quick.  They can't really be moving out young players if they want a quick rebuild.  

Edited by mll
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Yes Carlo would be the hard pull but I have assumed Miller has an extension set with them. In that case, you have to give to get. I suppose Lysell is that carrot but I do think the Canucks want / and should get, a real solid contributor back if moving Miller. Debrusk had a good season but is still suspect, there's no guarantees with him nor with any pick or prospect. But I do think that's the type of deal Boston would start with. That being said, Boston is really screwed down the middle. They will probably go hard for Kadri, there was suggestions Pastrnak was pushing Krejci hard to come back (at the worlds) but that would be a stop gap. 

The advantage we have with the Bruins is they aren't ready to tear it down. They want to keep pushing with this group. So a player like Miller makes alot of sense to them, and its a HUGE need for a true 2c. Imagine Bergeron (who in my view will come back given he just won the Selke, but if he doesn't they're in an even bigger mess), and Miller down the middle? That team will all of a sudden vault back up into contention. 

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Feels surprising with McAvoy out until December.  They have to remain competitive if they want to have a chance to extend Pastrnak. 

Beat writer Fluto Shinzawa has him on his "not going anywhere" list - says he's a member of the upcoming leadership core.  Depending on what happens with Pastrnak (he's 1 year to UFA), the Bruins might have to do a mini-rebuild but Carlo and McAvoy are young enough to still be part of their future.  

Cam Neely says a rebuild would be quick.  They can't really be moving out young players if they want a quick rebuild.  

Maybe we add in Myers then to fill that hole....retain some salary. He actually fits nicely with that age of that group. 

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think that team would struggle terribly to score. 

Fair point...when I looked at it after I kind of had the same concerns. Ie We are counting on Debrusk and Nikushkin to continue their trend, and our big boys to improve. I am willing to bet on our guys as I think they all know there's room to improve, risk is are the two forwards we get back having "flash in the pan" seasons or will they continue as well.

But to play devil's advocate, I do see much improved scoring from the third line and from the back end given OEL and Quinn will have less defensive responsibilty.

So we have more offense being driven from the back end, more offense coming from the third, line. That being said, yes still a big risk and after I made the team, I thought perhaps moving Boeser and keeping Garland made more sense as Garland seems to create more. But given Boeser's offseason / family issues, I just felt it was bad taste to suggest moving him.

Edited by NucknAsia

1 minute ago, NucknAsia said:

Maybe we add in Myers then to fill that hole....retain some salary. He actually fits nicely with that age of that group. 

They are at risk of being forced into a rebuild - Carlo can be part of their future even if they rebuild.  Myers can't.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

They are at risk of being forced into a rebuild - Carlo can be part of their future even if they rebuild.  Myers can't.  

They actually should be going rebuild (IMHO) but I think they are in the Sedin conundrum. Bergeron will come back, he just won the Selke. He'll probably do a string of one year contracts until he feels he can't go anymore, Marchand is still going but is what, 34? Boston can't move those guys and they won't, so then they will feel pressure to help them try to win now....

I really see it as that same Sedin issue, where a rebuild is due and needed, but given the aging Hall of Fame leaders on the team and loyalty to them, they keep them in Boston / don't move them.

As a result, they try to get a couple more runs in and delay their rebuild until those players officially retire. Bringing Miller in sends a message to Pastrnak they want to win now and he re-ups. They had a great season, they are not far away, the issue is their window will shut very quickly. Miller also allows them to bridge the gap of a loss of Bergeron in a year or two. Which is important to Pastrnak and Marchand.

Edited by NucknAsia

18 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

maybe they will take Ferland too

6 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

They actually should be going rebuild (IMHO) but I think they are in the Sedin conundrum. Bergeron will come back, he just won the Selke. He'll probably do a string of one year contracts until he feels he can't go anymore, Marchand is still going but is what, 34? Boston can't move those guys and they won't, so then they will feel pressure to help them try to win now....

I really see it as that same Sedin issue, where a rebuild is due and needed, but given the aging Hall of Fame leaders on the team and loyalty to them, they keep them in Boston / don't move them.

As a result, they try to get a couple more runs in and delay their rebuild until those players officially retire. Bringing Miller in sends a message to Pastrnak they want to win now and he re-ups. They had a great season, they are not far away, the issue is their window will shut very quickly. Miller also allows them to bridge the gap of a loss of Bergeron in a year or two. Which is important to Pastrnak and Marchand.

you really have not been paying attention to Boston 

since about 1976 have you?