The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal islanders

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They also have Mayfield. And Dobson is an RFA.

They need a LHD.  And Mayfield is a UFA next summer.  So they do need a couple top 4 guys.  I think we should try and get Mayfield as Dobson and Pulock are their top 4 guys on the right side.  Mayfield can partner with Hughes.

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They need a LHD.  And Mayfield is a UFA next summer.  So they do need a couple top 4 guys.  I think we should try and get Mayfield as Dobson and Pulock are their top 4 guys on the right side.  Mayfield can partner with Hughes.

Mayfield still comes cheap he’s cap friendly player they’d be smart keep Dobson doesn’t get less then 6 in my eyes leaving them cap strapped I really think he can be had 

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I sure wouldn't hate Mayfield, even if I don't think he's a long term solution to the "Hughes partner" conundrum. Doubt they want to give him up with one year left on a super efficient, cheap deal though.

8 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Mayfield still comes cheap he’s cap friendly player they’d be smart keep Dobson doesn’t get less then 6 in my eyes leaving them cap strapped I really think he can be had 

They are not trading Dobson.  They will move a forward like Bailey to open up cap space...

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I sure wouldn't hate Mayfield, even if I don't think he's a long term solution to the "Hughes partner" conundrum. Doubt they want to give him up with one year left on a super efficient, cheap deal though.

Mayfield will be on the 3rd pairing next year.  He's not getting an extension with the Islanders for top 4 money.  With Hughes he will be playing 18-19 minutes a night.  He may even re-sign here.  The Islanders need LHD and right wingers.  Garland and Rathbone could be trade bait...

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mayfield will be on the 3rd pairing next year.  He's not getting an extension with the Islanders for top 4 money.  With Hughes he will be playing 18-19 minutes a night.  He may even re-sign here.  The Islanders need LHD and right wingers.  Garland and Rathbone could be trade bait...

I think they'd still retain him for next year given his contract, if they're going for it (they should be). Solid, cheap, top 4 capable D on your 3rd pair. Sounds like EXACTLY what a contending team would keep. 

11 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

With islanders looking to get more goal scoring here’s a deal I wonder if it’s available 

Islanders receive 2024 3rd pick Hoglander Boeser 

Canucks receive Dobson Pageau

Islander never make this trade..Dobson 23,  RD, 6'4 - 45 points last season #1 D man for Islanders for years...

Canucks would have to send better package back - - 1st rounder 2022 and Boeser

No teams are going to trade there future star RD man away only 23 yrs old -- 

Not trading 1st rounders away....Pageau, 29, 5'10,  big no 4 yrs X 5 million... We need to get younger bigger already enough small forwards..

Last season GP 77--39 PTS --- 2020-21 GP 54 - PTS 28. ---

Rather keep Boeser and Hoglander-- Trade or sign UFA D man-- Need to clear cap space..

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think they'd still retain him for next year given his contract, if they're going for it (they should be). Solid, cheap, top 4 capable D on your 3rd pair. Sounds like EXACTLY what a contending team would keep. 

Sure I agree.  Or they can flip him for a younger asset that can help up front or on the left side.  I don't see him re-signing with the Islanders, so unless they are thinking they got a shot at the cup next year they may consider moving him.

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Islander never make this trade..Dobson 23,  RD, 6'4 - 45 points last season #1 D man for Islanders for years...

Canucks would have to send better package back - - 1st rounder 2022 and Boeser

No teams are going to trade there future star RD man away only 23 yrs old -- 

Not trading 1st rounders away....Pageau, 29, 5'10,  big no 4 yrs X 5 million... We need to get younger bigger already enough small forwards..

Last season GP 77--39 PTS --- 2020-21 GP 54 - PTS 28. ---

Rather keep Boeser and Hoglander-- Trade or sign UFA D man-- Need to clear cap space..

We'd have to trade Hughes, Petey or Demko to get Dobson.  A 1st and Boeser and they hang up the phone and block JR's number...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

JT Miller, 15th overall 

for 

Matthew Barzal, 13th overall 

Who says no?  

The Islanders lol.   Why would they do that?   I agree with EPs comments they'd only consider trading Dobson for QHs, EP or Demko ... i'd say not even Demko.  Goalies don't get massive value in trades,  the position is too easy to fill.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure I agree.  Or they can flip him for a younger asset that can help up front or on the left side.  I don't see him re-signing with the Islanders, so unless they are thinking they got a shot at the cup next year they may consider moving him.

Well why not keep boeser and offersheet Dobson and force there hand they got 12 mil in cap you offer Dobson just under 7 or tell them give us mayfield for Pearson type deal

Edited by Scottydzik

5 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Well why not keep boeser and offersheet Dobson and force there hand they got 12 mil in cap you offer Dobson just under 7 or tell them give us mayfield for Pearson type deal

Offer sheets are high risk and come with consequences.   Nobody likes them ... look what happened in MTL.   CAR revenge offer sheet was one of several things that ended up becoming a nail in Bergy's coffin.    GMs ... it's open season on your own guys later ... and these guys need a level of civility and respect to keep doors and phones open.    I bet it would have pissed us of to no end if QHs or EP got offer sheeted ... push up their wages in the end.   And our team was about as ripe as any's the past decade for one really.      Only team i remember ever really going to town with them was St. Louis and that chain of events cost them what they gained and pre-cap things are different now.   

Reality is most RFAs roster players are worthy of an offer sheet.   Only 50% of second rounders play 100 games in the NHL.   

Edit: To me it's something that really should just be cut out of the CBA.   All it does is drive salaries up and create discord in the end.   Just so some kid can get more money then he deserves yet.    NHLPA kind of wins and loses at the same time.   Sure the actual vets aren't too happy about it .., it is completely self serving, both to the player that signs one - and the GM/team that managed to poach the player, but as far as ethics go it feels dirty.   Don't have an analogy but maybe this works for all those folks who love eating out :  Be like suing the restaurant for "making the coffee to hot",  winning, but then getting banned from eating out not just at your favourite place, but half the joints in every town you go to.   

Edited by IBatch

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Offer sheets are high risk and come with consequences.   Nobody likes them ... look what happened in MTL.   CAR revenge offer sheet was one of several things that ended up becoming a nail in Bergy's coffin.    GMs ... it's open season on your own guys later ... and these guys need a level of civility and respect to keep doors and phones open.    I bet it would have pissed us of to no end if QHs or EP got offer sheeted ... push up their wages in the end.   And our team was about as ripe as any's the past decade for one really.      Only team i remember ever really going to town with them was St. Louis and that chain of events cost them what they gained and pre-cap things are different now.   

Reality is most RFAs roster players are worthy of an offer sheet.   Only 50% of second rounders play 100 games in the NHL.   

Edit: To me it's something that really should just be cut out of the CBA.   All it does is drive salaries up and create discord in the end.   Just so some kid can get more money then he deserves yet.    NHLPA kind of wins and loses at the same time.   Sure the actual vets aren't too happy about it .., it is completely self serving, both to the player that signs one - and the GM/team that managed to poach the player, but as far as ethics go it feels dirty.   Don't have an analogy but maybe this works for all those folks who love eating out :  Be like suing the restaurant for "making the coffee to hot",  winning, but then getting banned from eating out not just at your favourite place, but half the joints in every town you go to.   

It’s own gms fault for letting it get that far and I don’t see Canucks having any problem with rfa in the future Dobson hughes pairing could be great for next 8 years I think it’s totally worth it 7x7.5 

5 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Dobson is the type of player you make room for.  All you accomplish is irritating their management and you still don't have the player you want.

18 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

JT Miller, 15th overall 

for 

Matthew Barzal, 13th overall 

Who says no?  

NYI say no...Barzal 25 yrs old high end talent playing on defensive minded team.... Miller 29...Islanders Keep Barzal easy decision..