The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pastrnak Not Happy - May not re-sign with Bruins

Where there's smoke there's fire.....

This situation, and looking at 2023 UFA's makes me realize, the Canucks need to free up cap by next year, have their young core decided upon and then go hard at UFA's. If you look at the 2023 crop, there are a ton of 28 year old talented players who will fill our holes. Personally, taking a step back this year, getting picks and prospects and being able to then fill the team out next year may be the best strategy. On Pastrnak, interesting situation...he's a ufa in 2023.

Fluto Shinzawa of The Athletic: Boston Bruins forward David Pastrnak has a year left on his contract and is eligible for a contract extension this offseason. Bruins GM Don Sweeney didn’t put up much of a fight in past years to retain Torey Krug and David Krejci.

A source who is close to Pastrnak in a text: “88 had seen how Don has treated his two best friends. No chance he comes back with Sweens as GM.”

A David Pastrnak trade and full rebuild loom as a possible next step for Bruins - The Athletic

I mean, if it's between Sweeney and Pastrnak I could easily see Boston turfing Sweeney. Boston's put too much into their prime aged defense to go for a rebuild. If they've got any sense they'll turf Sweeney and the new GM will go after Miller. They've got a competitive roster in place. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we need to add, providing both players agree to extensions with their new clubs.  So, Miller + Rathbone for Pasta.

Get 'er done JR.

if we had an extension in place, sure. But Pasta is going to cost even more than Miller. But he is only 27 when the extension kicks in. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, if it's between Sweeney and Pastrnak I could easily see Boston turfing Sweeney. Boston's put too much into their prime aged defense to go for a rebuild. If they've got any sense they'll turf Sweeney and the new GM will go after Miller. They've got a competitive roster in place. 

But if he's bitter now because Cassidy was fired, may be hard to mend

1 minute ago, NucknAsia said:

But if he's bitter now because Cassidy was fired, may be hard to mend

Maybe, but a new top man and a new vision could go a long way, it's not as if he doesn't have other friends on that roster. From a business standpoint Pasta would be the easy pick, he's one of their main marketing pieces. If they can find a way to keep him happy I reckon it'll get done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn’t Don Sweeney the donkey who traded Dougie Hamilton for the 2015 15th overall pick

and used it to draft one of the biggest busts im the draft in Zachary Senyshyn?

And didn’t he then have two more picks in a row and drafted Jake Debrusk and Jakub Zboril while Mathew Barack, Kyle Connor and Thomas Chabot were still on the board?

Why does he still have a job?  Not only should he have been fired for that atrocious draft he should have been arrested and locked up. 

Pettersson GIF - Pettersson - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

So maybe the Bruins will be tanking for Bedard after all.

Well run teams seem to find a way to end up bad for one or two years and drafting high in those years where there are elite franchise prospects are available to be drafted. Or at least it feels that way.

Pasta is a helluva player... he'll command $11M+ with him just entering his prime years.

Miller+Prospect+pick will likely be the cost.  I don't think the Canucks are in a position to do something like that though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Pasta is a helluva player... he'll command $11M+ with him just entering his prime years.

Miller+Prospect+pick will likely be the cost.  I don't think the Canucks are in a position to do something like that though.

They would more likely go in rebuild mode.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn’t Don Sweeney the donkey who traded Dougie Hamilton for the 2015 15th overall pick and used it to draft one of the biggest busts in the draft in Zachary Senyshyn?

And didn’t he then have two more picks in a row and drafted Jake Debrusk and Jakub Zboril while Mathew Barzal, Kyle Connor and Thomas Chabot were still on the board?

Why does he still have a job?  Not only should he have been fired for that atrocious draft he should have been arrested and locked up. 

That draft was franchise altering, in a bad way. Chara, Krug, Rask, Kreji, all lost for nothing. Ya, they were somewhat contending, but sometimes a deal should be made. I look at how the Blues traded soon to be UFA Stastny prior to their cup year. They were contending, but made adjustments. Fails to trade a disgruntled DeBrusk. Charlie Coyle and Hall have been average. Maybe I'm reaching on some of this, but Sweeny makes JB look like a rocket scientist. Looks good on Baastan and it's annoying fan base. The painfull end is coming to that run, for that team. Ye ha. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

They'll say this regardless so not to decrease market value....if he's known to want out and demand it, he's harder to trade.

My guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle....as it generally is

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1