The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pastrnak Not Happy - May not re-sign with Bruins

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Since Bedard's recent interview about being a huge Canucks fan, I have had daydreams that he tells all the teams he won't sign with them and if drafted he would instead go to college and become a UFA when he can sign with the Canucks.

I don’t think Bedard can go the US college route and take advantage of that loophole.  PLaying in the CHL takes away US college eligibility, no?  

Love to get Bedard, but we will need to win the 2023 lottery for that to happen.  Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think Bedard can go the US college route and take advantage of that loophole.  PLaying in the CHL takes away US college eligibility, no?  

Love to get Bedard, but we will need to win the 2023 lottery for that to happen.  Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed. 

Star Wars GIF

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Well if you pay even slight attention to what you are quoting, that isn’t what I posted.  I never even remotely suggested getting my rid of all their contracts over two years.  I pointed out the specific long term contracts that are owed to older veterans on their roster.

You might want to break yourself of the habit of these dumb fallacy arguments where you invent something entirely irrelevant to try to make a false point.

No remote version of rebuilding involves keeping a bunch of 30+ year old expensive players.  They aren’t rebuilding with those contracts on the books.

"If they tear it down, he won't re-sign and they will be REALLY bad while having a bunch of difficult to move expensive veteran contracts."

That sentence implies that they will need to move these contracts and will have a difficult time moving them.

My point was they aren't going to be in alot of trouble as a guy like Lindholm can be partnered with McAvoy for the next 5 -7 years so he can definitely be a part of their rebuild.

As for Marchand, I'm pretty sure if he's fully healthy that several teams would jump to take him at that cap hit considering he's still an 80 point player.  Same with Hall, at $6 million he is still moveable.  Charlie Coyle had a pretty good year and a solid playoffs.  At $5.25 million he is still movable as well at 30 years old.

Boston has lots of cap space coming up as well, so if they truly want to tear it down and rebuild then they can probably retain salary on these guys if they really want to move them.  Marchand at $4 million would be a steal for a contender.

1 hour ago, AV. said:

He's not a good GM but he's well clear of his former Bruin colleague that we had in charge.  And besides, he managed to build a team that came within a game of winning the cup in 2019.

Something about stones and glass houses.

What does Jim Benning have to do with Don Sweeney being a donkey?

Yes, Sweeney went to the finals with a team built by his predecessor, the guy that actually won a Cup.  Kinda like Mike Gillis really.  Even lost in 7 games like Gillis.  Even Sweeney's drafting is Gillisesque, they must have hung out together.  Sweeney gave Boston McAvoy though, so thank God they have that.  His only gift to the Bruins...

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mll said:

They would more likely go in rebuild mode.

Pastranak 27 next summer UFA-- will demand 9.5--11 million- X 7 yrs === No thanks

we need to keep cap in line...

Trade Miller for package RD under 24, roster player top 7, Top prospect and 2nd rounder 2022 draft..'

10 hours ago, NHL'er said:

All of Patrick’s Swedish meatballs on the table: Horvat, Boeser, Rathbone and 15th OA for Pasta. Top 6 of: 

Podkolzin-Petey-Pasta

Pearson-Miller-Garland

Just awful. Dear God that's awful.

Edited by -DLC-
No need for the personal attack
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What does Jim Benning have to do with Don Sweeney being a donkey?

Yes, Sweeney went to the finals with a team built by his predecessor, the guy that actually won a Cup.  Kinda like Mike Gillis really.  Even lost in 7 games like Gillis.  Even Sweeney's drafting is Gillisesque, they must have hung out together.  Sweeney gave Boston McAvoy though, so thank God they have that.  His only gift to the Bruins...

Nothing.  I just found your particular criticism of Sweeney to be hypocritical.

And to be fair, the team was "built" by the interim GM before his predecessor.  His predecessor was the reason Boston had to retool in the first place.

33 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

All of Patrick’s Swedish meatballs on the table: Horvat, Boeser, Rathbone and 15th OA for Pasta. Top 6 of: 

Podkolzin-Petey-Pasta

Pearson-Miller-Garland

You're trading half our core plus our first round pick for one player (a great player) but hell to the no.

wtf?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

You're trading half our core plus our first round pick for one player (a great player) but hell to the no.

wtf?

Pastrnak can be a top 5 superstar player, if not already. Probably the best RW in the league alongside Kuch.

Love Horvat and Boeser but they’re stars at best. Let’s Miller play at C. That Ballard Raymond and a 1st silliness won’t run. 

3 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Pastrnak can be a top 5 superstar player, if not already. Probably the best RW in the league alongside Kuch.

Love Horvat and Boeser but they’re stars at best. Let’s Miller play at C. That Ballard Raymond and a 1st silliness won’t run. 

No one said Pastrnak isn't good. He's a top scorer in the league. Arguably the best RW. However, he's a player that's pure offence.

The price you are offering weakens our team in various aspects such as the defence and in terms of our defensive forwards who can actually play at a high level and pitch in 25-30 goals (like Bo). We are already bleak in terms of defensive prospects and you want to give up Rathbone? Not to mention the 15 OA so we can't draft a top prospect for the third year running?

When Bo is on, he's one of the best defensive centers in the game. He's the heart of this team and a top two way forward. He's shown he's capable of scoring 25-30 goals and you add Boeser who's another 30 goal potential player. 

Plus Rathbone? Who I think could very well be a number 4 defenceman at his peak.... It's simply way too much.

Your proposal is just as ridiculous.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

wtf?

That is a huge overpayment on our part. Definitely not worth it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

wtf.gif

23 minutes ago, AV. said:

Nothing.  I just found your particular criticism of Sweeney to be hypocritical.

And to be fair, the team was "built" by the interim GM before his predecessor.  His predecessor was the reason Boston had to retool in the first place.

As a Canucks fan I think I am allowed to be critical of another teams GM without having Jim Benning's name being brought up.  

As for who actually built the Boston cup team, Jeff Gorton did make some great moves in his time there, no argument there.  

1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

Podkolzin-Petey-Pasta

Pearson-Miller-Garland

Pasta is going to want Marner money.  We don't have the cap space for that...

4 hours ago, AV. said:

In any event, I think they'll do everything in their power to extend Pastrnak.  If not, I'd expect VGK, LAK, NJD, DET, and SEA to be in on this.

Salary cap just doesn’t apply to Vegas I guess.