Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Miller to CBJ


Recommended Posts

Sat Shah said that there might be a mystery team that really likes Miller, and then he threw out Columbus. Wouldn't make sense for him to say that and then randomly say Columbus without him having some sort of intel on it

 

CBJ:

15th overall

J.T. Miller 

 

 

VAN:

12th overall

44th overall

Corson Ceulemans

Kirill Marchenko

 

  • Ceulemans is a big boom or bust prospect. Has all the tools, sometimes IQ and decision making lets him down but I think he can put it together. Playing at Wisconsin will give him plenty of time to develop. Also fits a need of a top tier RHD prospect.
  • Marchenko is really interesting to me. Played with Podkolzin at CSKA, had really good chemistry with him. I think Columbus wouldn't be willing to part with him, but if we could get him, he would be a hell of an add for the top six in the future. 
  • 12th for 15th is basically a wash, so the trade is Miller for 2nd round pick, high potential RHD prospect, top six FWD prospect

 

What do y'all think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about Sillinger or Johnson?  If we trade Miller to Ohio one of them should come back.

Sillinger, Bean/ Peeke, 1st and 2nd for Miller and 2nd would be intriguing IMO (both RD's can be Hughes' partner, and Sillinger would be a stable C with good two-way play; if the ask is for Boqvist instead as the RHD, we could also pair him with OEL and have Adam be the puck-mover in that duo while OEL hangs back and mentors his fellow Swede).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

What about Sillinger or Johnson?  If we trade Miller to Ohio one of them should come back.

Sillinger, Bean/ Peeke, 1st and 2nd for Miller and 2nd would be intriguing IMO (both RD's can be Hughes' partner, and Sillinger would be a stable C with good two-way play; if the ask is for Boqvist instead as the RHD, we could also pair him with OEL and have Adam be the puck-mover in that duo while OEL hangs back and mentors his fellow Swede).

Sillinger's about as untouchable as anyone for Columbus imo, acquiring him is a pipe dream. He's someone they'll try building around, and you've gotta think he'll improve upon his 31 point rookie season. Columbus doesn't have much in the way of center's, which is part of why they might be interested in Miller, but they'd be dumb to move what could be a young, cost controlled top end center for Miller. You might get Johnson as he hasn't played at the NHL level much yet. 

 

Might be able to work around the 6th or 12th, maybe Boqvist. The 6th would be an intriguing target if one of the top D prospects drop. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kent Johnson has to come our way if we are dealing with Columbus.  Gotta get a new local boy on the team.  I'd prefer him over the Russian.

 

Switch the 12th OA to the 6th OA so we have a shot at one of the RHD's and then switch the Russian to Johnson and I would do that deal.

 

To Columbus:

 

JT Miller

2022 15 OA

 

To Vancouver:

 

2022 6 OA

2022 44 OA

Kent Johnson

Corson Ceulemans

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there really a difference between pick #12 and #15?  I'm pretty sure after pick #3, the Canucks and CBJ's prospect list is probably 90% different from one another.  There is a good chance that the player we would pick at 12 would still be there at 15 anyhow.

 

So basically the trade is:

 

#44, Ceuleman and Marchenko for Miller.  That is not enough.  They are all projects and no guarantee.  Whether is something to help us now or in the future, if we trade Miller, we need somethig concrete like a top 10 pick or top blue chip prospect.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kent Johnson has to come our way if we are dealing with Columbus.  Gotta get a new local boy on the team.  I'd prefer him over the Russian.

 

Switch the 12th OA to the 6th OA so we have a shot at one of the RHD's and then switch the Russian to Johnson and I would do that deal.

 

To Columbus:

 

JT Miller

2022 15 OA

 

To Vancouver:

 

2022 6 OA

2022 44 OA

Kent Johnson

Corson Ceulemans

 

This is exactly the kind of trade JR needs to do.  If our return isn’t a win for us, then it’s better to re-sign Miller.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Is there really a difference between pick #12 and #15?  I'm pretty sure after pick #3, the Canucks and CBJ's prospect list is probably 90% different from one another.  There is a good chance that the player we would pick at 12 would still be there at 15 anyhow.

 

So basically the trade is:

 

#44, Ceuleman and Marchenko for Miller.  That is not enough.  They are all projects and no guarantee.  Whether is something to help us now or in the future, if we trade Miller, we need somethig concrete like a top 10 pick or top blue chip prospect.

Columbus hasn't done much in the past number of years so you have to think their GM is feeling the heat.  I seriously doubt you'll see them get rid of proven players for Miller as they'll be no better off (reaching the post-season).  Think they'll more likely be willing to deal "futures" (eg., prospects) if they want to acquire Miller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I like the trades, but I don't see Columbus as a team that needs Miller specifically. They are a team that is rebuilding an I don't think is that close to taking the next step.

 

IF we're trading him, (Still a big IF in my opinion), I think we're looking for a team that is either trying to push over the top, or has enough resources that they need someone to rally them as a leader to get to the next level of being a playoff team again.

 

Teams I think we're looking at, in no particular order are:

 

Florida

Boston

Buffalo

Ottawa

Carolina

NYI

NYR

New Jersey

Minnesota

Los Angeles

San Jose

 

I haven't picked many Western Conference teams as I think IF he's moved, they will do it out of conference. I may have missed one or two, but those are the ones that I think would look at doing something. Both Ottawa and NJ have made noise about their first round pick being available. That's signaling that they believe that they are moving into Win Now mode but need something to push them into the playoffs.

 

Would I move Miller, straight up for the 2nd overall? I probably would!

 

If we send back our 15 OA so they still have a 1st round pick, I probably want Mukhamadullin back as well as a 3rd round pick.

 

Am I missing something on Columbus? I just don't see them a being ready for a player like Miller who would push them into Win Now mode, I don't think he would resign with them and that will likely be a condition on any team trading for him.

 

 

 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DudePerfect said:

Sat Shah said that there might be a mystery team that really likes Miller, and then he threw out Columbus. Wouldn't make sense for him to say that and then randomly say Columbus without him having some sort of intel on it

 

CBJ:

15th overall

J.T. Miller 

 

 

VAN:

12th overall

44th overall

Corson Ceulemans

Kirill Marchenko

 

  • Ceulemans is a big boom or bust prospect. Has all the tools, sometimes IQ and decision making lets him down but I think he can put it together. Playing at Wisconsin will give him plenty of time to develop. Also fits a need of a top tier RHD prospect.
  • Marchenko is really interesting to me. Played with Podkolzin at CSKA, had really good chemistry with him. I think Columbus wouldn't be willing to part with him, but if we could get him, he would be a hell of an add for the top six in the future. 
  • 12th for 15th is basically a wash, so the trade is Miller for 2nd round pick, high potential RHD prospect, top six FWD prospect

 

What do y'all think?

I think we need to get a young established NHL player in any move for Miller and not just futures.

We also have to consider that we need to extend Horvat too, maybe even still have a Boeser deal to wrap up.  We need to show the guys we aren't rebuilding, but actually trying to get better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AC Readership said:

This my trade idea in the Miller thread.

 

Columbus receives:

Miller

15th OA

 

Vancouver receives:

Sillinger/Johnson/Boqvist/Ceulemans

6th OA

12th OA

 

or

 

6th OA

Sillinger/Johnson

Boqvist/Ceulemans

Maybe I’m out to lunch. But I just don’t see why Columbus gives up that many cost controlled high quality young assists for a 29 year old pending UFA.  
 

Look at what Montreal got for Pacioretty. (Didn’t have the couple great seasons but was a consistent 35-40 goal scorer). 
 

they got who was regarded as Vegas’s 3rd best prospect at the time (Suzuki). A 2nd and a useful player who was essentially a cap dump in the deal (Tatar) 

 

 

 

Edited by qwijibo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we're trading big pieces with CBJ we need to meet our needs - 3C and top young RD. Peeke and Boqvist are the big ticket items. Boqvist is more of a puck mover and nowhere near as good and has really fallen out of favour whereas Peeke may be one of their best players last season and logs big minutes for them. He is exactly what the Canucks need alongside Hughes though.

 

Center-wise Roslovic really improved and impressed, and they basically have Nyquist, Roslovic and Jenner as their top 3 centers (although they pretty much play in their top-6 together) and Sillinger is going to be their future so I doubt they trade him. That leaves a pretty decent Kuraly who is far from the ideal shutdown 3C we want, but pretty decent regardless.

 

Miller for Peeke + Kuraly + pick (2nd round?)

 

If we'd be able to get away with Garland/Boeser + a pick (2nd or 3rd) for Peeke I think we'd jump all over it but sadly any team is going to have to give up quality for quality.

 

Make things a bit more interesting:

 

Miller + Rathbone for Peeke + Roslovic + pick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sillinger's about as untouchable as anyone for Columbus imo, acquiring him is a pipe dream. He's someone they'll try building around, and you've gotta think he'll improve upon his 31 point rookie season. Columbus doesn't have much in the way of center's, which is part of why they might be interested in Miller, but they'd be dumb to move what could be a young, cost controlled top end center for Miller. You might get Johnson as he hasn't played at the NHL level much yet. 

 

Might be able to work around the 6th or 12th, maybe Boqvist. The 6th would be an intriguing target if one of the top D prospects drop. 

 

 

 

 

Ironically if we hadn't traded our #1 pick Sillinger or Guenther were available to be ours for free and still afford to keep Miller

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Ironically if we hadn't traded our #1 pick Sillinger or Guenther were available to be ours for free and still afford to keep Miller

Yeah, in retrospect we'd have likely been better served not making that trade, and I like Garland/OEL. I think Benning tried to push his chips in too early. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, in retrospect we'd have likely been better served not making that trade, and I like Garland/OEL. I think Benning tried to push his chips in too early. 

Agreed. I respect both players very highly but it was poorly timed and quite handicapping. I really wanted Lysell and there's evidence of that in the draft thread! :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Agreed. I respect both players very highly but it was poorly timed and quite handicapping. I really wanted Lysell and there's evidence of that in the draft thread! :lol:

Giving up back to back first rounders stung, I was kinda indifferent on the trade at the time if I remember correctly. We sure could use some top prospects, here's hoping we find a way to get another high pick or this year's draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Giving up back to back first rounders stung, I was kinda indifferent on the trade at the time if I remember correctly. We sure could use some top prospects, here's hoping we find a way to get another high pick or this year's draft. 

The 1st time Ever in over 50 years of the Canucks history, and it wasn't even to win the Stanley Cup

Horrible managing (or lack of the word)

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sillinger's about as untouchable as anyone for Columbus imo, acquiring him is a pipe dream. He's someone they'll try building around, and you've gotta think he'll improve upon his 31 point rookie season. Columbus doesn't have much in the way of center's, which is part of why they might be interested in Miller, but they'd be dumb to move what could be a young, cost controlled top end center for Miller. You might get Johnson as he hasn't played at the NHL level much yet. 

 

Might be able to work around the 6th or 12th, maybe Boqvist. The 6th would be an intriguing target if one of the top D prospects drop. 

Okay, maybe not Sillinger but if there's no prime ELC prospect coming back (e.g. Johnson) I don't see it happening.  Star trades (Eichel/ ROR/ Karlsson/ Mike Richards, for instance) don't happen without blue-chippers going back the other way (Krebs/ Thompson/ Norris/ B. Schenn) and Johnson probably belongs in that caliber of player.  

If Nemec or Jiricek would be available at 6, we should jump at that, though I would still like one of Bean/ Peeke coming back to get an NHL-ready shutdown right-side D.  Johnson, one of Bean/ Peeke, plus 6th overall pick would be fantastic IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To CBJ

Miller

To Van
12th overall

Bemstrom

Peeke/Boqvist

 

We get a low cost young right handed centre, right handed dman, and a mid first round pick. Rounding out our roster, building for the future, and saving cap. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Okay, maybe not Sillinger but if there's no prime ELC prospect coming back (e.g. Johnson) I don't see it happening.  Star trades (Eichel/ ROR/ Karlsson/ Mike Richards, for instance) don't happen without blue-chippers going back the other way (Krebs/ Thompson/ Norris/ B. Schenn) and Johnson probably belongs in that caliber of player.  

If Nemec or Jiricek would be available at 6, we should jump at that, though I would still like one of Bean/ Peeke coming back to get an NHL-ready shutdown right-side D.  Johnson, one of Bean/ Peeke, plus 6th overall pick would be fantastic IMO.

I agree we need top pieces coming back, but it's gotta work for other teams too. This is part of why I think Jersey could be a better trade partner, they've already had a glut of high picks as of late. Now they'll be trying to take steps forward, I'd put Columbus a ways behind them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...