The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Vancouver Vegas

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m liking the idea of moving Bone (who has no spot in our lineup) and McDonnough (who is likely to go the free agent route summer 2023)

Rather we sent them to Boston though, for Carlo.  Boston appears to be headed into a rebuild.  Might be perfect timing for us to get Hughes a partner.  

I would expect Boston to hold on to Carlo and McAvoy and hope they can do like NYR  - it's been 4 years since they've announced a rebuild.   They held on to their better young players and with cap space they were able to add Panarin.   

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

Out of curiosity. What contract numbers are we talking? Maybe Vegas would prefer the offer sheets. There may be a bidding war. I would imagine multiple teams are considering offer sheets not just us. 

Like where you're going though.

for a Roy offer sheet, we can go up to 4.2 mil per year and it just costs a 2nd. At that price, a lot of teams are going to be looking at Roy. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

for a Roy offer sheet, we can go up to 4.2 mil per year and it just costs a 2nd. At that price, a lot of teams are going to be looking at Roy. 

Exactly. Maybe a team with a late first exceeds that number?? Seen crazier things happen. Cough Kotkaniemi cough.

I like the idea. But I'm curious are you shoe horning this a bit because you'd rather not give up the picks? I guarantee there are other teams willing to pay the picks and possibly more money and better picks. 

I think other teams will be making offers much like this sending cost controlled assets to vegas to avoid the whole offersheet nastiness. Vegas still likely wont get fair value but they can probably do better than Rathbone Mcdoughnah. I'd consider Hoglander + Rathbone. Trade Brock for a 2nd and hand Roy + Hague Boeser's money. 

We still win but it's at least respectable for Vegas considering their situation.  

My $0.02

I think we should be in on these guys 100%. 

9 hours ago, mll said:

I would expect Boston to hold on to Carlo and McAvoy and hope they can do like NYR  - it's been 4 years since they've announced a rebuild.   They held on to their better young players and with cap space they were able to add Panarin.   

Would the Canes consider Kotkaniemi for Miller?  Would we?

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Exactly. Maybe a team with a late first exceeds that number?? Seen crazier things happen. Cough Kotkaniemi cough.

I like the idea. But I'm curious are you shoe horning this a bit because you'd rather not give up the picks? I guarantee there are other teams willing to pay the picks and possibly more money and better picks. 

just trying to look at fair value, and I think Vegas would prefer prospect that have a track record they can evaluate.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think other teams will be making offers much like this sending cost controlled assets to vegas to avoid the whole offersheet nastiness. Vegas still likely wont get fair value but they can probably do better than Rathbone Mcdoughnah. I'd consider Hoglander + Rathbone. Trade Brock for a 2nd and hand Roy + Hague Boeser's money. 

We still win but it's at least respectable for Vegas considering their situation.  

My $0.02

I think we should be in on these guys 100%. 

I could see Hog's and Rathbone, thats a really good value offer. 

14 hours ago, mll said:

They are further along in their development than a 2nd round pick in 2023.  He gets to decide where he wants to sign that offer-sheet - Vegas can only match.

A 5 year contract or shorter between 2.1M and 4.2M is only worth a 2nd round pick.  

To move up to a 1st + 3rd round compensation, the overall contract has to be worth more than 21M on a 6 or 7 year deal: 6 x 3.5M or 7 x 3M

Not only that, these things just don't happen for a reason.   AHO ... when was the last one before that (aside from the revenge one - which kind of also proves that point).   Only team i ever re-call going heavy on these sort of things was pre-cap St. Louis (early 90's) And they paid a big price for that too. 

I think we should target Dadonov from Vegas. They clearly want to move him and need to clear cap. He's a decent scorer and only has 1 year left. 

So I'm thinking if the canucks trade one of Miller/Garland/Boeser this offseason we should see if Vegas would be open to something like:

To Van: 

Dadonov 

2nd round pick

To Vegas: 

7th round pick

Purely a cap dump for Vegas so they give up a 2nd. Canucks give up a 7th or future considerations and get an okay veteran forward with a big cap hit but only for 1 year (and he should be able to contribute some offense) and a 2nd round pick to help add another decent prospect. I was thinking send them Ferland instead if it helps, but someone above mentioned that would only create more issues for Vegas cap wise, so this is simpler.