The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sabres to retire Ryan Miller’s No. 30

Rate this topic

I'm certainly not opposed but I think Kirk McLean is a good comparable for a career with a team and there was little to no talk of that honor.

Miller - One Vezina win, no other seasons of great note (though he did play 76 games one year), no substantial playoff success.

McLean - Vezina finalist twice, another season where he led the league in games and minutes, run to Game 7 of the SCF as one of the primary heroes.

Similar career totals with their primary teams.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

17 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm certainly not opposed but I think Kirk McLean is a good comparable for a career with a team and there was little to no talk of that honor.

Miller - One Vezina win, no other seasons of great note (though he did play 76 games one year), no substantial playoff success.

McLean - Vezina finalist twice, another season where he led the league in games and minutes, run to Game 7 of the SCF as one of the primary heroes.

Similar career totals with their primary teams.

Suppose the biggest difference is that the Sabres were better with Miller than the Canucks with McLean, at least over the entire length of their tenures. Aside from that, they were somewhat close, yes.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Suppose the biggest difference is that the Sabres were better with Miller than the Canucks with McLean, at least over the entire length of their tenures. Aside from that, they were somewhat close, yes.

I'm not sure I would agree with that.  The Canucks had two division championships and then a run to the final in another year with McLean.  In addition to the 89 Calgary series and making it to the second round three more times.

Miller and the Sabres?  Regular season division champions twice, two trips to the semifinals, lost in the first round twice and every other season missed the playoffs entirely.

Miller playoff wins with Buffalo: 25.  McLean playoff wins with Vancouver: 34.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

On 6/11/2022 at 10:20 AM, -AJ- said:

Isn't the biggest difference that it's Buffalo?

Not much to celebrate there lately <_<