The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Avalanche win 2022 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2022 Stanley Cup Final  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/19/2022 at 12:00 AM

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

Oh but according to some members there won't be much movement, it will be "more or less the same roster as least year" - denial is a strong emotion. 

There is one constant through the Gillis, Benning, and current management - our owner.  Gillis wanted to rebuild properly, and was replaced.  Then Linden figured it out and wanted to rebuild properly, and was moved out.  JR has said on several occasions he wants to keep us going forward and be competitive while moving pieces.  Sounds all too familiar.

I think our owner continues to set the philosophy.  The difference now (compared to the Benning start) is we have Petey and Hughes and Demko to build around.  Fingers crossed JR can do it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There is one constant through the Gillis, Benning, and current management - our owner.  Gillis wanted to rebuild properly, and was replaced.  Then Linden figured it out and wanted to rebuild properly, and was moved out.  JR has said on several occasions he wants to keep us going forward and be competitive while moving pieces.  Sounds all too familiar.

I think our owner continues to set the philosophy.  The difference now (compared to the Benning start) is we have Petey and Hughes and Demko to build around.  Fingers crossed JR can do it. 

You are dead on, Aquilini deserves as much blame as anyone - a lot of his moves and goals seem to have been financially motivated (post season revenue vs. actually competing for a cup with a strong team). He deserves as much blame as anyone, hopefully he has seen the error of his ways.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

You are dead on, Aquilini deserves as much blame as anyone - a lot of his moves and goals seem to have been financially motivated (post season revenue vs. actually competing for a cup with a strong team). He deserves as much blame as anyone, hopefully he has seen the error of his ways.

We we soon see just how much our owner can keep his snout out of the club’s direction.  If we see a long term, big money contract for Miller instead of him being traded, or if the return is 23-27 year old guys in hopes to win now, then we will know.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

hopefully it begins with the Sedins getting the credit they deserve today. 

Would be nice to see the Sedin’s, Luongo and Mogilny all go in. Have a Canucks day at HOF. 
‘Doubt it will happen, Mogilny in last year and deserves it as much as anyone else in this years class. 
Zetterberg is likely the monkey wrench in the all Canuck HOF class. 

• Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Oh but according to some members there won't be much movement, it will be "more or less the same roster as least year" - denial is a strong emotion. 

That’s all silliness. As I have said numerous times, if JR liked what he saw he wouldn’t have gutted every aspect of the organization down to the studs. It may not all happen in the next two weeks but I expect a big turnover again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That’s all silliness. As I have said numerous times, if JR liked what he saw he wouldn’t have gutted every aspect of the organization down to the studs. It may not all happen in the next two weeks but I expect a big turnover again. 

one reason me might not see much movement is some of the pieces JR inherited might be hard to move for good value and/or have to pay to move them. 

I do expect a big shake up though. 

• Cheers 1

Love how a team can go from worst to first in only a few years. 

Helps to have had MacKinnon and Landeskog already in the queue but some good drafting and shrewd moves can turn the tides fairly quickly.

I am hopeful the Canucks can do this as well, with Bo, Petey, Huggy and Demko in the mix maybe this can be the Canucks in a few years as well.

10 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

If that's your reasoning fair enough.

I don't know much other people that wouldn't want a 80+ point centre and winger on their team but to each their own. 

I would start cheering for him at some point I'm sure. As you said we had Torres and I was fully on board. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

one reason me might not see much movement is some of the pieces JR inherited might be hard to move for good value and/or have to pay to move them. 

I do expect a big shake up though. 

Also a good point, as much as I'd love to see Myers, Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman and maybe Garland (I do like Garland though, given steady line mates I think he can improve) those contracts are likely tough sells to another organization. I suspect the Bottom 6 to look different and a couple changes along the blueline too. 

1 hour ago, GB5 said:

Love how a team can go from worst to first in only a few years. 

Helps to have had MacKinnon and Landeskog already in the queue but some good drafting and shrewd moves can turn the tides fairly quickly.

I am hopeful the Canucks can do this as well, with Bo, Petey, Huggy and Demko in the mix maybe this can be the Canucks in a few years as well.

Totally, but it shows how you build around a core. To be fair, it was 2016-2017 when the Avs were bad so it's more than a few years but it shows what can be done "short" ish term. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

Totally, but it shows how you build around a core. To be fair, it was 2016-2017 when the Avs were bad so it's more than a few years but it shows what can be done "short" ish term. 

It can, but being hitting home runs on top ten picks sure helped 

Mac was #1, Makar was #4, Rantanen was #10, Landeskog was #2, Byram was #4

And then you've got guys like Burakovsky at #23, Kadri at #7, Nishushkin at #10, Newhook at #16, Johnson at #1, Cogliano at #25, and a few 2nd rounders mixed in

Things can turn around quick but we've only really hit home runs on Petey and Hughes so far and have little in the way of high end talent in the pipeline, maybe we get there but they certainly had a better starting point 

Colorado built around skill, speed, and creativity and insulated it with grit, that's the kind of team we should be looking to build, and as mentioned Colorado filled that team with 1st round quality players and it showed 

So glad TB finally lost, those cheating bast***s.  Hearing Jon Cooper afterwards, what a self-serving, pat yourself on the back pr**k. Saying his Lightning teams deserve to go down in history with the Islanders and Oilers. Oh he'd love that, being the coach and all. Cannot stand that guy, fake as F.

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

That’s a good point.

He did a tear down of the front office.  Probably will do more than just tinkering with the team.

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

First ballot career Canuck hall of famers

I think they're Hall of Famers but I don't know about first ballot.  If it happens, great.  If it doesn't...their day will likely come.  But it still hasn't for a lot of players...Bernie Nicholls, Mike Vernon, Tom Barrasso, Pierre Turgeon, Theoren Fleury, Reggie Leach, Charlie Simmer, Rick Martin, Rene Robert, Randy Carlyle, Dave Taylor, Alexander Mogilny...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, Tampa was hurt but so was Colorado 

Be interesting to hear the extent of it as injury details trickle out

wouldn't be surprised to hear somethings wrong with Hedman, he wasn't his usual dominant self. 

Injuries on both sides tho, so no one really can argue there was much of a benefit either way.

• Cheers 1