The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers re-sign Vitali Kravtsov

6 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I just figured any attitude was regarding the losing environment in NJ vs just him, however I have no idea and you do, so I’ll trust you on what he’s like.

For the record, I don't watch any extra Zacha games beyond when they play the Canucks. I just heard we were interested a number of months ago and went into research mode, like I do. This is just the opinion I formed based off talking to their fans. He looks awesome in highlight packages, but sounds just like Canucks fans back when we talked about Virtanen. Has the tools, just doesn't use them nearly enough.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

For those saying NYR won't trade Schnider, Kravstov and a first for Miller (assuming an extension is agreed to), might I ask, when should a team go all in?

If this isn't the time for them to go all in, I really don't know when a team does. And all you're giving up off your roster is a RD playing 11 mins a night behind Fox and Trouba..

Many people ignore where a team is in their process and what their goal is...its not to collect high draft picks, its to win a stanley cup. NYR are pretty damn close and probably regret not making the Miller trade now. There is this underlying idea in many posts and many fans views that there is some perfect time where its obvious you can win a cup....and until then you can never trade young players, just keep stocking up! because one day you'll have all the best young players in the world! Doesn't work that way.

Looking at their roster, with Mika (28), Panarin (29), Kreider (30), Trouba (27), Goodrow (28) - their leaders and core are now in their primes and you can't waste it....you waste these guys then all of a sudden its rebuild time and you waste the guys behind them.

We may not get Schnieder Chytl and a first but I'd be surprised to not see NYR amenable to the deal above now....perhaps it take Schenn going the other way as well.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Stanley cup teams pay more for salary help. Look at Hagel’s return for Chicago. It’s not like the Miller contract is long.

Yup, I reckon if we retained on Miller New York would pay. If their top offensive forwards weren't at their peak this season it'll likely be this coming one, their current window isn't very big. 

I'd happily retain for a year in order to get a great return. If they don't go it they're likely wasting their best chance outside of the one they had this season, and they already flubbed it this season imo. Another gamebreaker likely gets them past Tampa this playoffs. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, I reckon if we retained on Miller New York would pay. If their top offensive forwards weren't at their peak this season it'll likely be this coming one, their current window isn't very big. 

I'd happily retain for a year in order to get a great return. If they don't go it they're likely wasting their best chance outside of the one they had this season, and they already flubbed it this season imo. Another gamebreaker likely gets them past Tampa this playoffs. 

They 100% flubbed it. This year was one of their good years. Still had Zibanejad and Fox on cheaper deals now you have to factor that cap space into next season. Kreider 31 years old just had his best season ever and could start taking a dip in production. They have a lot of youth and they’ll have many years of making the playoffs but as contenders I’m not so sure. With the core of Panarin, Zib and Kreider that was their best year to win it. 

You could say even more so for Colorado as they won’t have the cap space to bring back all of Kadri, Burakovsky and Nichushkin. Then the following year MacKinnon will be getting a huge raise off his 6.3 mill a year contract where he could maybe be asking for double to what he’s getting paid now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

lol knowing the canucks what's probably going to happen is miller won't re-sign over the summer.. no trade will happen during the summer because JR will ask for astronomical returns.. and he probably won't back down during the season and at the TDL we'll be sitting prolly somewhere in a WC spot and end up holding on to Miller and he walks? or we sign him to whatever he demands to risk losing him for nothing?? anyone see this scenario playing out?

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol knowing the canucks what's probably going to happen is miller won't re-sign over the summer.. no trade will happen during the summer because JR will ask for astronomical returns.. and he probably won't back down during the season and at the TDL we'll be sitting prolly somewhere in a WC spot and end up holding on to Miller and he walks? or we sign him to whatever he demands to risk losing him for nothing?? anyone see this scenario playing out?

We already saw this scenario play out this year.  JR came here and shopped Miller.  Then just when we were looking like Miller was on the move for an excellent return (better than we will get now) I think our owner stepped in and stopped any Miller deals because the club was starting to win.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We already saw this scenario play out this year.  JR came here and shopped Miller.  Then just when we were looking like Miller was on the move for an excellent return (better than we will get now) I think our owner stepped in and stopped any Miller deals because the club was starting to win.  

i honestly don't believe that just because JR would have never accepted the job and resigned already if ownership is telling him how to run the team.. he's one of those that takes order from nobody.. he'll ask the ownership what direction he wants to go.. and tell him to stay the f out of how he goes about running it. he's too old with too much experience to be taking orders from FA

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

They 100% flubbed it. This year was one of their good years. Still had Zibanejad and Fox on cheaper deals now you have to factor that cap space into next season. Kreider 31 years old just had his best season ever and could start taking a dip in production. They have a lot of youth and they’ll have many years of making the playoffs but as contenders I’m not so sure. With the core of Panarin, Zib and Kreider that was their best year to win it. 

You could say even more so for Colorado as they won’t have the cap space to bring back all of Kadri, Burakovsky and Nichushkin. Then the following year MacKinnon will be getting a huge raise off his 6.3 mill a year contract where he could maybe be asking for double to what he’s getting paid now.

MacKinnon I am pretty sure came out publically that he's not looking to bankrupt the team. A cup ring might sour that idea though. Some players might just cash out once they get their name on Lord Stanley's mug, assuming they win. But he seems like a good dude. I could see him making 9-10mil on a long term deal to try keep em competitive. Time will tell though.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

This was New York's best chance, they may have squandered a career season from Shesterkin and likely saw Kreider's peak. Combined with big contracts kicking in and top players aging their current window is pretty small. 

If Colorado loses to Tampa I could see them coming hard after Miller as a Kadri replacement, even as a rental. I'd retain 50% and take a huge return from them, New York may revisit Miller too. One train of thought might be "we were so close, why mess with it" but time isn't their friend. I think the train of thought will be "what went wrong" or "what are we lacking" though.

If Mac wins maybe he takes the money, but yeah he's on record saying he'll take less to win. What "less" means is anyone's guess. If the Avs win and guys get paid it may hurt their ability to be as good a team as they are, but I don't think a lot of people will care. Winning is quite the balm.

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Maybe, losing him or Bo for nothing would be worst case scenario though. If one, or both, won't extend to a deal that works we need to get pieces for them. Getting nothing would be a larger setback than losing one or both.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

MacKinnon I am pretty sure came out publically that he's not looking to bankrupt the team. A cup ring might sour that idea though. Some players might just cash out once they get their name on Lord Stanley's mug, assuming they win. But he seems like a good dude. I could see him making 9-10mil on a long term deal to try keep em competitive. Time will tell though.

I could see him taking that, especially if he wins.

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

No chance !  He either signs a new deal or hes gone at the draft

Edited by Rackdawg

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I know he could ask for 12 so a discount at around 9.5-10.5 mill seems way to generous. But even at that you still have account for that raise at his current 6.3 million. That’s shedding another Burakovsky or Nichushkin type contract off the books to make room for the raise.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I know he could ask for 12 so a discount at around 9.5-10.5 mill seems way to generous. But even at that you still have account for that raise at his current 6.3 million. That’s shedding another Burakovsky or Nichushkin type contract off the books to make room for the raise.

McDavid should have and could have gotten like 14 mil on his deal but signed for 12.5 mil. So I don't think it's too crazy to think he'd go for 10 mil instead of 12 mil. But yes, adding 4mil to your cap is likely gonna cost you a really solid player.