The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafting Defence

Rate this topic

iceman64

Well, I just simply think you pick from with in a tier. Obviously, if you have a number 1 OA, you pick him if he is generational, but then he would be in that tier alone..........

But take this year as an example..............

Wright, Cooley, and Slafkovsky.........Tier #1

Nemec, Jiricek, and Savoie???.........Tier #2

Kemmell, Gauthier, etc......................Tier #3

So, if you take someone in your tier, I think you are fine, if you do not lucky and get someone from a tier above, keeping in mind, that every team will have slightly different names in each tier. I think this is even more evident in the later picks..........

But, even saying all that, if you have the #3 pick in the draft and need a RHD, and they are 2 in the next tier down.............is that a reach?, I do not think so, so go ahead!

But again, it is based on your scouting's rankings and not Bob McKenzie's published rankings............or anyone else's, because Craig Button's is pretty different to even Bob's

So, who is right, when you are looking at drafting 17 year olds?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

12 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I agree... But do you think he'd be available at 5?  In a redraft, Seider would go top 3 now.  I'd could see the same with Jiricek.  

12 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I guess the way to do it would be to have any prospective trade with Philadelphia be contingent on Jiricek still being on the board at five. Obviously Miller would have to be the centrepiece of that trade going the other way. Hopefully it wouldn’t also include the Canuck’s number 15 pick as we need all the prospects we can get. Jiricek and Pickering would be a great haul from this draft.

This would be the Miller or Boeser/Myers deal that would need to be ready to go after the 4th pick is announced...immediately pounce on Philly, but without tipping our hat ahead of time of course. We could dangle, see if the interest is there and wait to see if our guy is available.

I have a funny feeling that this how the draft will go down based on BPA & need:

1/ Wright (MTL needs a 1C)

2/ Slafkovsky (NJD need a top 6 winger, not a C and not a RHD - they have Hamilton and Severson)

3/ Cooley (he's a 100% natural fit for ARZ and could instantly step in if he doesn't return to Minny for the year)

4/ Nemec (SEA needs, well, everything...so why not cornerstone the franchise around what many agree is the best RHD in the draft)

5/ Jiricek (this is our guy to pair with QH...if SEA takes Jiricek over Nemec, then we wait until 15 and grab Chesley...I like Nemec but he's too much like QH, we need a TWD-R to pair up with QH).

If we still have our 15 after grabbing 5 from Philly, then I say we grab another one of the stud young Dmen available (Chesley, Mateychuk, Pickering, Rinzel, Lamoureux, Luneau, Bichsel, Salomonsson)...geez, this draft is stacked with top 4 D prospects in the top 50 for sure, we need to grab at least 2 of them.

• Cheers 2

We have this argument every year. its probably the biggest reason I stay away from CDC over the summer.

BPA means something different to everyone. Obviously if there is a Forward that is someone you believe is a game changer at your pick you take them , however I believe in drafting for positional need. We havent done it in spades over the years. Thats the biggest reason we do not have a Norris Candidate defenseman in 52 years in the league. Yes D take longer to develop. Yes they can be had in spades in the later rounds. The perfect example of drafting a D man in the first round is Hughes. Makar. Hedman. Im pretty sure they were first round picks

To get to the top of the pile you need great D. Its not often that franchise changing D men get traded. Teams that have great D prospects do not trade them for scraps as they need the D also. If a team is to trade a D prospect they want a 99 point player in return that they believe  can take them over the top.Its usually a D prospect going one way and a better than average forward and a prospect going the other way.

Having said all that I would draft the best RHD available in every round this year. We have a flood of goalie prospects. Our top 9 is in good shape adding Kuz this season. Unless we get a RHD we can bank on in a MIller trade id draft every RHD available at our place. Unless of course there is a stand out at another position available. flood the pool with D men and they can be traded afterwards as i said for a player and prospect.

Edited by mikeyman109

On 6/12/2022 at 6:24 PM, iceman64 said:

For years we've had great D BUT no depth to speak of so when players like Edler, Salo, and Tanev were often injured, we'd lose games because we had no one to step in really. 

My wish list is from the building a team from the net out philosophy, we're covered there in Demko, Martin and some depth development in the farm but then defense is another story, again we have "some" but if I'm JR I'm going all out trading for prospects from from good teams who can't crack a roster, I.e. Tampa, I doubt we can rob again but in that direction but then drafting for 2 years with nothing but D as close to the BPA as you can get or trade BPA forward or Goalie for a player we may have missed out on that has all the attributes we need. 

So I hope we load up for 2 years because forwards are a lot easier to get and draft more of them after the drafting D spree. Surely we can trade forward for forward for the roster and save on cap in one way or another. 

My thoughts are just load up and have more odds for a success or 2 (ish) and on ELC so all I'm doing is "hoping" at this point but the problem we've had since day one needs to be solved or we're never going to win a cup... 

Get it done JR! 

Thoughts? 

Dropping in the draft,to get more picks imo, would be a smart move. 

One team I'd approach would be The Kraken.

With 4 seconds, they should be very interested in moving a couple picks to jump up in favour of quality over quantity.

I, also, am very intrigued by a right shot D named Maveric Lamoureux.

Big, mean, and skills to be developed, this kid is being compared to Chara in style. 

Though definitely a project, with patience and proper development, this guy could become an NHL beast and one worth the gamble.

Scouting sites have him peaking at a mid to low second round pick. Trading the 15th for their 35th and 4th rnd picks could provide some really nice pieces.

10 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Dropping in the draft,to get more picks imo, would be a smart move. 

One team I'd approach would be The Kraken.

With 4 seconds, they should be very interested in moving a couple picks to jump up in favour of quality over quantity.

I, also, am very intrigued by a right shot D named Maveric Lamoureux.

Big, mean, and skills to be developed, this kid is being compared to Chara in style. 

Though definitely a project, with patience and proper development, this guy could become an NHL beast and one worth the gamble.

Scouting sites have him peaking at a mid to low second round pick. Trading the 15th for their 35th and 4th rnd picks could provide some really nice pieces.

I like him too..........I do think your pick valuation is off though.......

Usually trading a 1st rounder down 4 spots will get you this.............15th OA = 19 OA + a 2nd/3rd rounder, not a 2nd and 4th, it is how NYR traded up to get Schneider

I think the trade was 19th (1st) for 22nd (1st) + 72nd(3rd), but there are other examples of my earlier example as well........

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I like him too..........I do think your pick valuation is off though.......

Usually trading a 1st rounder down 4 spots will get you this.............15th OA = 19 OA + a 2nd/3rd rounder, not a 2nd and 4th, it is how NYR traded up to get Schneider

I think the trade was 19th (1st) for 22nd (1st) + 72nd(3rd), but there are other examples of my earlier example as well........

Maybe adding a Ville Ottavainen evens up the deal.