The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Mikko Koskinen signs with HC Lugano (Switzerland)

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Despite having two of the best players in the world.

Still a trainwreck team. 

Signing Nurse, to a 9.5 million per year contract (same as Hedman) doesn't help there cap when filling the goalie position.  Spoliers are top heavy with questionable d and no goalie.  Atleast, JB with Clarkes' insistence & tutelage the Canucks are doing well, in the goalie department.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I wonder why he didn't attempt to get another NHL contract? he's not good but I figure at a decent cap hit he's a backup for sure.

Maybe he didn't want to? Thanks to Chiapet he secured the bag and now he can sail off into the sunset in Switzerland, not a bad gig. Obviously he wanted to win but the Stanley cup isn't the same driving force for everyone. 

Probably the league he deserves to play in. He was severely overpaid by the Oilers and is a backup at best at this level.

So now the Oilers are basically without a goalie if Smith retires. It's actually a good thing for them I think - because now they will have no choice but to go out and get an available goalie... who one expects will actually resemble a #1; something they've needed for quite some time now.

5 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I wonder why he didn't attempt to get another NHL contract? he's not good but I figure at a decent cap hit he's a backup for sure.

If he was going to be a backup you would think he was probably only going to get around 1 Million per season. 

Switzerland is a pretty sweet deal since he will most likely be a starter plus you can basically from one side of Switzerland to another in a span of 2 to 3 hours (I took a train from the Northern to Southern part of Switzerland and took around 3 hours I think). So this basically means road games is just a comfy bus ride (with some nice scenery of the Alps).

Also quality of life is quite good there plus living in Switzerland I am sure the pay is very good. 

So less travel + good nature (and Skiing) + quality of life + very good pay. Seems like a good deal to me.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Can probably make comparable if not more money in Switzerland if he's a starter there, and is there anything bad about Switzerland? Seems like a chill place to play hockey. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Can probably make comparable if not more money in Switzerland if he's a starter there, and is there anything bad about Switzerland? Seems like a chill place to play hockey. 

Seems a lot better place to live than the hellhole he's been stuck in, and the team is much closer to NHL quality.