The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Gibson open to being dealt

There should be a few teams in on Gibson, and the price shouldn't be that expensive, considering a couple of down years, and the overall cap hit.  Anaheim isn't in the competing window, showed they have a bright future, and aren't as far behind the eightball in a rebuild mode.  A goalie would have to be coming back to ..I don't know, play goal I would assume, and they'd want a legit piece to add to their club as well as a pick.  Edmonton and Toronto, being canadian markets in need of a goaltender would be a no brainer, but I think there could be some interesting moves by some other teams involved.  A goaltender of that calibre would be of interest to Buffalo and New Jersey, for example.  Both want to be more competitive and both have question marks in goal, with Buffalo only having one signed goaltender, and that's Bishop....oof.

Wherever he goes, I do hope that it is out east, because I sure as hell won't miss him shutting us out so many times.  The guy is a canuck killer over his career, and any sign that we don't have to face him, is a good one. :)

• Cheers 2

Leafs and Oilers are the obvious suitors.  Would imagine that an additional 10-15 teams will inquire, though.  Gibson still quite an elite goalie that's been on some pretty poor Ducks teams in recent years.  

New Jersey can speed up their rebuild significantly with the acquisition of both Gibson and Miller.  I would say they could be a playoff team next year with those 2 key pieces in place.  They need to trade some of their youth and their 2nd overall pick to get both guys.  I can see them taking a run at both. 

Edmonton and Toronto don't have the cap space for Gibson unless Edmonton pays to move Keith and Toronto trades Nylander to Anaheim.  Toronto can move both Nylander and Mrazek to Anaheim so Anaheim can hit the cap floor.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

New Jersey can speed up their rebuild significantly with the acquisition of both Gibson and Miller.  I would say they could be a playoff team next year with those 2 key pieces in place.  They need to trade some of their youth and their 2nd overall pick to get both guys.  I can see them taking a run at both. 

Edmonton and Toronto don't have the cap space for Gibson unless Edmonton pays to move Keith and Toronto trades Nylander to Anaheim.  Toronto can move both Nylander and Mrazek to Anaheim so Anaheim can hit the cap floor.

Jersey makes a lot of sense, they can swing this sort of deal a lot easier than Edmonton or Toronto. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Toronto would be smart to make that move. They are very close and Gibson gives them a legit shot. Nylander looks to be the sacrifice. Signing Tavares is what screwed them. Terrible signing at the time and worse now. I never understood it. They had oodles of young offense, Tavares was redundant and took up too much cap to fill out D and goaltending.

Now Nylander, who has really developed into a very strong 2 way player, after being a bit of a floater early, will be the cost...Can't believe Dumbass still has a job when its been obvious since he came in what they needed to do and he kept making mistakes. He's lucky he had high draft picks and stars that fell to him (and Matthews) else he would be gone.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the Ducks take on Nylander in exchange for Andreson, in any form of a deal, Dubas would be a fool not to do it. It is Dubas though. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Toronto would be smart to make that move. They are very close and Gibson gives them a legit shot. Nylander looks to be the sacrifice. Signing Tavares is what screwed them. Terrible signing at the time and worse now. I never understood it. They had oodles of young offense, Tavares was redundant and took up too much cap to fill out D and goaltending.

Now Nylander, who has really developed into a very strong 2 way player, after being a bit of a floater early, will be the cost...Can't believe Dumbass still has a job when its been obvious since he came in what they needed to do and he kept making mistakes. He's lucky he had high draft picks and stars that fell to him (and Matthews) else he would be gone.

They should have promoted Mark Hunter as GM instead of KD.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

If NJ grabs Gibson, almost gotta wonder if that makes then want Miller now. They are really only some high-end veteran talent and a goalie away from making a splash. Could be a huge summer for them.

Edited by Shayster007

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Toronto would be smart to move Matthews to Anaheim.

Gibson, McTavish, and a 1st to Toronto.

Why move Matthews? He’s basically God in Toronto. Tavares, Nylander, Marner and anyone not named Matthews has a glitch greater chance of being dealt.

And if he’s indeed a trade chip, the Canucks should be all over that.

Edited by Me_

42 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

If NY grabs Gibson, almost gotta wonder if that makes then want Miller now. They are really only some high-end veteran talent and a goalie away from making a splash. Could be a huge summer for them.

NYR doesn’t want Miller. Only Vancouver fans think so.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You know who is also a playoff team next year?

ATHACAnucks.

#keepmiller

Edited by Me_