The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Filip Johansson

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I don't get it... if we plan on giving him a shot in the future, why not develop him next season in Abby??

Same, question I have.  Will the new Player Development Department, be more in play as an experiment to see, of its effectiveness vs in Abby with Cull ?  Will Abby, be filled with more NHL tweeners to keep it competitive, whilst, some/most prospects will be in other leagues, to be looked after by the new department (headlined by the Sedins) ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I don't get it... if we plan on giving him a shot in the future, why not develop him next season in Abby??

Frolunda is a good well managed team in the SHL, if they think he will play more over there probably smart to let him stay there for one more year to develop, get stronger, and improve his English before coming over to NA the following year.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah he isn't that big.  He will need a couple more years in Sweden at least.  Hopefully somebody puts him on a weight gaining program.  

Have him fly to the USA and pay Phil Kessel to rent him a room for the summer 

:bigblush:

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah he isn't that big.  He will need a couple more years in Sweden at least.  Hopefully somebody puts him on a weight gaining program.  

The north american diet, should take care of the weight issue.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

All the praises way too early just like reminders to Cam Barker, Pouliot, and one we have currently in the AHL Madison Bowey. 

Nah, just a smart pick up. Free RD who seems to have some talent...They're trying to fill holes, the more irons in the fire the better. For sure time will tell but no one is saying this guy is a savior.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

There's no room in Abby for him and he is too small for the North American game at this point.  Jett Woo, Madison Bowey and Noah Juulsen are all ahead of him and much bigger physically.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, awalk said:

Because SHL is a better league than the AHL

Yeah, and he’s just coming off a playoffs where he scored 5 goals (team lead) and 7 points in 9GP.

No reason to upset the apple cart here. Give him another year to continue to develop with Frölunda and maybe use his recent playoff performance as a springboard into greater production next season in the SHL.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Seems like, Fenton tried to make a name for himself with the pick ?

I'll just never forget how Nonis delivered his Patrick White pick as if he expected everyone to ooh and aah but it was more who? and ha!

Sounds like Minnesota felt similarly when they went off the board for this pick.

Sounds like he can actually play though. Could be great.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Frolunda is a good well managed team in the SHL, if they think he will play more over there probably smart to let him stay there for one more year to develop, get stronger, and improve his English before coming over to NA the following year.  

True..  just wanted him to get acclimated to the NA game sooner.. so he could be our new Brad Hunt or Burroughs!

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, and he’s just coming off a playoffs where he scored 5 goals (team lead) and 7 points in 9GP.

No reason to upset the apple cart here. Give him another year to continue to develop with Frölunda and maybe use his recent playoff performance as a springboard into greater production next season in the SHL.

Thats huge for SHL. Pretty surprised he went un signed.

8 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

I'll just never forget how Nonis delivered his Patrick White pick as if he expected everyone to ooh and aah but it was more who? and ha!

:lol: 

Classic 

37 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Ohhhh... so we are signing him for the following 2 years after the next? or maybe Management feels he's better suited to keep developing there?

I was right the first time! 

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/12/wild-prospect-filip-johansson-signs-two-year-extension-in-sweden.html

he's signed through the 2023-2024 season in Sweden. But I'm guessing there must be some transfer agreement with the NHL in the last year of a contract?

• Like 1

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The Canucks do have the right to send him the AHL but, as others have noted, they probably feel like another year in the SHL is a better choice for his development.

The Swedes have also negotiated hard to have the right to keep their players home, unless the transfer is directly to the NHL. In this case, there’s nothing stopping the Canucks from sending him to Abby, but as far as general practice goes, it’s becoming more and more common to NHL teams to use the Swedish leagues as a development/farm system.

Just as an aside, the recent transfer agreement with the SHL requires that all NHL draft picks from Sweden, second round or later, and until age 24 (used to be 21) get returned to their Swedish team, unless they are joining an NHL team. So a Swedish player drafted 2nd round or later can’t go to the AHL until he’s 24. This doesn’t apply to Johansson, as he’s an unsigned first rounder, but it does speak to the overall precedent, and how hard the Swedes have worked to keep their players home, have a voice in their development, and avoid what they see as wasted years and career derailment of Swedish prospects that previously languished in the AHL (they’ve done studies on the career paths of their players and the results for Swedish prospects in the AHL were pretty bleak).

signed through 2023-24 in Sweden actually. There is probably some transfer agreement for players in the last year of a contract though is my guess.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/12/wild-prospect-filip-johansson-signs-two-year-extension-in-sweden.html