The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Filip Johansson

Might as well put in my 2 cents worth.

1. I do not have high expectations but I am happy to see the Canucks active in adding to the prospect pool. 

2. This kind of signing is not quite "free" as teams are limited to 50 contracts and this is one of them. I expect the Canucks to reach their effective limit at some point. (Every team needs to keep a contract spot or two open for emergencies.) So he is using up a contract spot.

3. He does not have size. He is 6-1, which is the average for NHL D-men, but he is a good 20 lbs lighter than the average.  

4. While he was a (low) first round pick that was considered a stretch at the time. It is hard to see him as a legitimate 1st rounder.,

5 His development has been disappointing so far. Not terrible, but disappointing.

6. Apparently Minny made the decision not to sigh him. They view him as less valuable than a low 2nd round pick (24th in the second round). I am sure the Canucks would rather have a second round pick. 

7. I am puzzled that he has apparently been signed by the Canucks but also signed an extension for the next two years in Sweden.  The relationship must be covered in the NHL-SHL agreement.  I have some vague recollection that SHL players are allowed to sign with NHL teams and the NHL contract takes precedence. The Canucks can of course "lend" him to a team in Sweden.  That was probably all part of the negotiation.

8.  While I think he is low probability to become an  NHL regular, he is not zero probability and, like I indicated above, I am happy to add him to the fold.

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, and he’s just coming off a playoffs where he scored 5 goals (team lead) and 7 points in 9GP.

No reason to upset the apple cart here. Give him another year to continue to develop with Frölunda and maybe use his recent playoff performance as a springboard into greater production next season in the SHL.

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.MEI have a question that you might be able to answer for me...If he plays in Sweden in 2022-23 does his ELC slide a year. That would be a good thing if that is indeed true.

3 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

signed through 2023-24 in Sweden actually. There is probably some transfer agreement for players in the last year of a contract though is my guess.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/12/wild-prospect-filip-johansson-signs-two-year-extension-in-sweden.html

His new NHL deal overrides any existing SHL contract, per the transfer agreement.

He will be on a loan in Sweden.

Canucks now own his rights and the NHL ELC supersedes all other contracts. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Might as well put in my 2 cents worth.

1. I do not have high expectations but I am happy to see the Canucks active in adding to the prospect pool. 

2. This kind of signing is not quite "free" as teams are limited to 50 contracts and this is one of them. I expect the Canucks to reach their effective limit at some point. (Every team needs to keep a contract spot or two open for emergencies.) So he is using up a contract spot.

3. He does not have size. He is 6-1, which is the average for NHL D-men, but he is a good 20 lbs lighter than the average.  

4. While he was a (low) first round pick that was considered a stretch at the time. It is hard to see him as a legitimate 1st rounder.,

5 His development has been disappointing so far. Not terrible, but disappointing.

6. Apparently Minny made the decision not to sigh him. They view him as less valuable than a low 2nd round pick (24th in the second round). I am sure the Canucks would rather have a second round pick. 

7. I am puzzled that he has apparently been signed by the Canucks but also signed an extension for the next two years in Sweden.  The relationship must be covered in the NHL-SHL agreement.  I have some vague recollection that SHL players are allowed to sign with NHL teams and the NHL contract takes precedence. The Canucks can of course "lend" him to a team in Sweden.  That was probably all part of the negotiation.

8.  While I think he is low probability to become an  NHL regular, he is not zero probability and, like I indicated above, I am happy to add him to the fold.

Have you watched him play? I doubt it, so you've assumed a great deal. I have not either but I'm not assuming he's an NHL player or NOT...I will let time dictate that

Chris Tanev was never drafted, he was so small and skinny the OHL didn't even want him, he wasn't drafted and has become one of the best defensive defenseman in the NHL, so evaluating players before you've seen them play is a bit silly imho.

He has been described as a defensive dman, so his point totals don't mean alot. If he puts on some weight, given his strong skating, what seems to be a good hockey iq from the scouting reports, and from video, what seems to be a very good shot and offensive anticipation, who's to say he can't develop. He's 22. 

Let's wait and see what we have before we assume he's nothing or he's something. The pessimism on these boards is kinda gross.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I agree with others in that it's good to see the prospect pool restocked. Hopefully he becomes that hidden gem we need and realizes his potential with us.

That said ...I'm not investing too much in these types of signings as far as excitement. Especially after watching Benning take a similar approach with his former first round reclamations/experiments. 

I'm much more wait and see but do like that Allvin is committed to adding prospects. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

I'll just never forget how Nonis delivered his Patrick White pick as if he expected everyone to ooh and aah but it was more who? and ha!

Sounds like Minnesota felt similarly when they went off the board for this pick.

Sounds like he can actually play though. Could be great.

I cringe while remembering the Nonis pressers and the talk shows, after drafting White: Nonis tried to sell the White pick but it was all about him, with hindsight To add, Perron came after - very similar to when JB drafted McCann before Pasternak.  Anyways, there is also the opposite: Moritz with Detroit.

As for the signing, I am interested to see, how effective and what part the new Player Development Department will have with prospects outside of Abby/ Culls' influence ?  Anyways, a FREE RHD prospect, for the team to develope or experiment on; hoping he developes.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

Right-handed replacement for Utunen. Funny that SportingNews had them two spots apart when one was a 1st rounder and the other a 5th. 

75. Filip Johansson RHD Leksands J20 (Superelit)
76. Xavier Bouchard RHD Baie-Comeau (QMJHL)
77. Toni Utunen LHD Tappara (SM-Liiga)
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I am puzzled that he has apparently been signed by the Canucks but also signed an extension for the next two years in Sweden.  The relationship must be covered in the NHL-SHL agreement.  I have some vague recollection that SHL players are allowed to sign with NHL teams and the NHL contract takes precedence. The Canucks can of course "lend" him to a team in Sweden.  That was probably all part of the negotiation.

As a unsigned draft pick free agent, the deadline for NHL teams to sign Johansson was June 15th. 

Signed within that window (draft rights expire June 1st, free agent deadline is June 15), the new NHL ELC goes into effect and overrides any existing SHL contract.

The Canucks had to pay the Swedes a transfer fee of $361,500 (used to be 250K but new agreement increased fees) for the privilege. That money basically gets split between the teams in Sweden that helped develop Johansson.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Reminds me of the early 80s with all these Europeans we're signing.

Based on his stats and age, he's probably an Abbotsford-level guy for 2023-24, but maybe if he levels up enough next year in Frolunda, he can make a push as a #7. More depth is good though.