The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Fix Right Side

I doubt Tampa would be willing to move  Cernak, but I like like way you think nonetheless. Theoretically speaking, if we were to then sign Copp, Lazar, Mikheyev and Kuzmenko, which 17 million should easily cover we'd be set 

Pettersson- Copp- Boeser

Podkolzin- Horvat- Mikheyev

Hoglander- Lazar- Kuzmenko

Highmore- Lammikko- Lockwood

Hughes- Cernak

OEL- Carlo

Rathbone/Dermott- Schenn

• Cheers 1

I think we are in a good position to add some very solid ufa on defense,  I would add Zad too. I wouldn't give those draft picks away with Dickinson. Sweeten Dickinson with a Highmore, Lockwood or Woo. We need our picks.

Heck even retain .65 on Dickinson that might swing a 1 for 1 deal. Poolman is a very good 6 or 7. There are many teams who need depth, Wpg too. (Edmonton and TO) Dickinson might be worth more as a leader in Abby. And a 1M savings in cap.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

CAP DUMP TRADES (Ship out 14.4 Million)

To LA - Tanner Pearson (3.25 million)

To VAN 3rd round pick 

LA gets back player who revived his career and knows the organization. Brings leadership and experience. 

VAN gets rid of a slower aging player who JR does not want. Make no mistake Pearson is highly regarded around the league and had a good season.

To DAL Tyler Myers (6 million)

To VAN 4th round pick 

DAL replaces Klingbergs minutes. Myers in top 4 RHD who is slightly overpaid but still brings value.

VAN again gains much needed cap space

To ARI Jason Dickinson (2.65 million) + 3rd round pick + 4th round pick 

To VAN 7th round pick

ARI needs to get to the cap floor. Dicky can PK and play in bottom six. He is still an NHL player and cap hit isn't crazy

To BUF Tucker Poolman (2.5 million) + Mike DiPietro 

To VAN 5th round pick 

BUF needs RHD and Poolman is an NHL level D. Isn't a huge cap hit either. We sweeten the deal and add Mikey D.

VAN once again gain critical cap space to better allocate elsewhere in the lineup.

PLAYER FOR PLAYER TRADES:

To BOS - JT Miller 

TO VAN - Brandon Carlo + 1st round pick 2023

BOS replaces Bergeron to keep their cup window open. Even if Bergeron stays another season thats fine.

VAN gets a 25 year old 6'6 220 RHD that is locked up for another 5 years @ 4.1 million

To TBL - Erik Cernak

To VAN - Connor Garland

TBL needs to replace Palat in their top 6 and Garland fits their system of speed and skill. He is cost controlled which Tampa values.

VAN gets a 25 year old 6'3 230 RHD that can play top minutes. He is an RFA after next season. Currently making 2.9 million 

Out - 10.15 million (JT+Garland)

In - 7 million (Cernak+Carlo) 

OUR NEW DEFENCE:

Quinn Hughes-Erik Cernak

Oliver Ekman-Larsson-Brandon Carlo 

Jack Rathbone-Luke Schenn

We would then have 17.55 million in cap to fix our forward group. 

FORWARDS

Podz-Petey-Boeser

___________-Horvat-Hoglander

__________-__________-___________

Highmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

Yes, I know our forward group looks pretty bare but man would our Defence be SET for the future! But like I said we have 17 million to solve our issues as well as our 15th overall pick if we wanted. 

I like your cap dump proposals.  Hopefully Canucks can do something like that as well.

7 hours ago, Outsiders said:

CAP DUMP TRADES (Ship out 14.4 Million)

To LA - Tanner Pearson (3.25 million)

To VAN 3rd round pick 

LA gets back player who revived his career and knows the organization. Brings leadership and experience. 

VAN gets rid of a slower aging player who JR does not want. Make no mistake Pearson is highly regarded around the league and had a good season.

To DAL Tyler Myers (6 million)

To VAN 4th round pick 

DAL replaces Klingbergs minutes. Myers in top 4 RHD who is slightly overpaid but still brings value.

VAN again gains much needed cap space

To ARI Jason Dickinson (2.65 million) + 3rd round pick + 4th round pick 

To VAN 7th round pick

ARI needs to get to the cap floor. Dicky can PK and play in bottom six. He is still an NHL player and cap hit isn't crazy

To BUF Tucker Poolman (2.5 million) + Mike DiPietro 

To VAN 5th round pick 

BUF needs RHD and Poolman is an NHL level D. Isn't a huge cap hit either. We sweeten the deal and add Mikey D.

VAN once again gain critical cap space to better allocate elsewhere in the lineup.

PLAYER FOR PLAYER TRADES:

To BOS - JT Miller 

TO VAN - Brandon Carlo + 1st round pick 2023

BOS replaces Bergeron to keep their cup window open. Even if Bergeron stays another season thats fine.

VAN gets a 25 year old 6'6 220 RHD that is locked up for another 5 years @ 4.1 million

To TBL - Erik Cernak

To VAN - Connor Garland

TBL needs to replace Palat in their top 6 and Garland fits their system of speed and skill. He is cost controlled which Tampa values.

VAN gets a 25 year old 6'3 230 RHD that can play top minutes. He is an RFA after next season. Currently making 2.9 million 

Out - 10.15 million (JT+Garland)

In - 7 million (Cernak+Carlo) 

OUR NEW DEFENCE:

Quinn Hughes-Erik Cernak

Oliver Ekman-Larsson-Brandon Carlo 

Jack Rathbone-Luke Schenn

We would then have 17.55 million in cap to fix our forward group. 

FORWARDS

Podz-Petey-Boeser

___________-Horvat-Hoglander

__________-__________-___________

Highmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

Yes, I know our forward group looks pretty bare but man would our Defence be SET for the future! But like I said we have 17 million to solve our issues as well as our 15th overall pick if we wanted. 

This is great!

Phone JR and tell him to "get 'er done".  

The only major thing is I really don't think TBL moves Cernak.  He's their future top defenceman.  If they move a defenceman, it'll probably be Sergachev, simply because he'll price himself out of TBL, and Hedman and Mcdonagh likely have 3 or 4 good years left in them.

After Hedman and Mcdonagh age out of their contracts, Cernak and Foote will be in their prime.  So they'll go from a top tier LHD side, to a top tier RHD side for the next generation.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

I wouldn't make the trade to Ari, it's not worth a 3rd and 4th to clear $2.65 mil, I'd rather buy him out.

Don't see Tampa saying yes to that for Cernak. Tampa would rather use Cernak at $2.9 mil for another run than commit $4.95 to Garland. I think sadly, Garland isn't worth the 9th overall value that we put him as in that compartmentalized view of the OEL trade.

I don't see the RD as something we can completely fix this season. I think we can do as you suggest. Move Miller for a hopefully RHD asset, and then see if we can move Myers, and sign Stetcher as a stop gap, but I'm willing to take till 2023-2024 to address that through the draft.

2023 looks to be a much better year to find opportunities to acquire RHD outside the draft.

Cernak will be an RFA at that time and hopefully much easier to pry from Tampa, failing that we can sign UFAs like Dumba if we have cap space, or make a play for Weegar/Severson. It just seems more possibilities. 

My point being, we don't necessarily need to fully address RHD in 2022-2023. We can be patient if the goal is to retool/rebuild. Especially since 2022-23 will be handicapped anyway with the ~3.9 million in dead cap from the last Benning buyouts and bonuses.

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Is Meyers only worth a fourth?  

He's very underrated around here.  A team like the Coyotes or Kraken (who are in desperate need of a 2nd RD) would

take him in a flash.  His hulking physique and minute munching delivery would be perfect for these 2 teams (as

well as the 2yr term).  I think he gets a 2nd (another team's pic) or a decent 3rd liner (Geekie).

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Is Meyers only worth a fourth?  

Personally I think he has more value than a 4th. But I didn't want to take back any cash in the deal. Just purely moving out $6 million. Typically when you do that you don't recover "full value"

I think the trades listed are actually very fair and reasonable. 

We may even be able to get a little more out of the Pearson and Meyers trades. Perhaps a 3rd round pick for Meyers (he isn't a bad #4 RHD and had his best season in Van yet) and for Pearson perhaps they get a lower end prospect added to the deal for Van. 

I'd likely skip the trade with Arizona. Giving up a 3rd and 4th just to move him doesn't seem worth it for that cap hit. I say put him on the 3rd/4th line LW and see how this next season goes. 

Moving Mikey D just to ship out Poolman is also tough. Maybe we can swap bad contracts with someone instead like say we take Dadonov from Vegas who has a bigger cap hit but only for 1 more year and Vegas takes Poolman and gets some cap space, but his contract will run a couple years longer. 

Overall though I like the trades and our D definitely improves and we can much more easily improve the front end with some UFA signings and general player development.