The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks retool 2022 vs Av's retool 2017

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Sissons is C3 - Johansen and Granlund are ahead of him.  

Pageau is also C3 - Barzal and Nelson are their top-6 Cs.

Ek is also C3 although he is tied 2nd in TOI.

Trocheck and Staal are middle 6Cs with Aho at C1.

I guess I should have said many or any in the top 10

I've said it again and again, there's sooooo much luck involved.

If the Avs crapped the bed a year earlier, they'd have Yakupov instead of Mackinnon.

If they won the lottery instead of dropping, they'd have Hischier or Patrick instead of Makar.

2 events could have changed the trajectory  completely. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

Ya and paying 3 centers 7, 9, and 9 million is not an effective way to do it...

thats your pricing, not mine 

2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

particularly when you have to pay a winger 7.5 mil and he's not worth it

particularly when you're paying 2 dmen 15 mil and they are not worth it

particularly when there is a salary cap

particularly when there is so much ice time to go around and you need players to play certain roles on a team 

its not a video game where every shift is about trying to get more and more goals

jesus

I love how worked up you get :lol: 

having Petey, Miller and Bo on good contracts (i.e. all under 8 mil AAV) is a great idea. We can build around them with younger wingers and veteran UFA wingers like many teams attract when they are back in contention. No video game needed. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Agreed 

People are oblivious to the fact that Jack Rathbone is every bit as good as Lundkvist.  28th overall or whatever the pick will be won't have a great chance of getting us an impact player.  Chytil had a nice run in the playoffs and I'd love to acquire him but the odds of him becoming an impact player are very low.  

Nothing really excites me about a potential NY Rangers deal unless they throw in unprotected 2023 1st round pick and the Canucks become a degenerate gambler betting against the Rangers.  

pretty much. We're not getting Schneider and A LaF is off the table unless we're adding.

I feel like there was this over exuberance with a Miller deal that got people lathered up, and once it became clear it wasn't going to be a major 4 piece deal, then people started settling. 

How about we just keep Miller on a reasonable deal? oh the horror. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Edit: and I forgot that Rangers give up their 1st round pick in the Andrew Copp trade now. 

yup they paid a lot for him, they'll be looking to extend him for sure, maybe at the expense of letting Strome walk. 

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is our best defensive center.  Drance often talks about how the fancy stats support that.  

Miller 99 points.

Bo is third.  

We have great center depth.  

Yep. Thats why Pete took 10 FO's on the PK and Bo took 106 Miller took 220.

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Yep. Thats why Pete took 10 FO's on the PK and Bo took 106 Miller took 220.

I think what gets missed a bit in this discussion is we have 3 C's that do different things well. Yay us. Petey is more of the new school, smaller C/skilled winger and does amazing Petey things, but you'd want Bo taking that PK draw, and you'd want Miller out in the last 2 minutes of the game if you're down a goal. 

Just my 2 cents, but I love the idea of building out from the net, with more puck moving d and up through strong C depth. Its always easier to find wingers from year to year. Locking down Miller, Petey and Bo seems like a nice problem to have imo. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm excited to see if EP has put on or grown into, matured, with more muscle this training camp. I think he knows what he's had to work on.

Hopefully not too much. It's not really his game. I noticed he wasn't breaking as many ankles with his shiftyness last year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I think what gets missed a bit in this discussion is we have 3 C's that do different things well. Yay us. Petey is more of the new school, smaller skilled winger and does amazing Petey things, but you'd want Bo taking that PK draw, and you'd want Miller out in the last 2 minutes of the game if you're down a goal. 

Just my 2 cents, but I love the idea of building out from the net, with more puck moving d and up through strong C depth. Its always easier to find wingers from year to year. Locking down Miller, Petey and Bo seems like a nice problem to have imo. 

I agree. I really like Silvos. Would like to get another goalie in the system next year. Not super high on Brennan. If its this year and Topias Leinonen is available depending on who we leave on the board I could be all for it. 

If by building from the goalie out you mean we need to be taking D who can play defense I'm 100% with you. I'm running up to the podium for L/RD Lian Bichsel.  Really digging Liam Arnsby Shut down C, Sam Rinzel RD, John Babcock Physical LD. 

We arent gonna win an arms race with the Avs so we gotta build a team that can counter punch. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Pears said:

I mean it isn’t outlandish. Miller is only playing center in Vancouver if he stays and Bo isn’t better than Petey, so as of right now yeah he is our 3C which isn’t a bad thing at all really. If you got a guy like Bo as your 3C you should be in pretty good shape imo. 

Petey hasn't proven he can be a reliable center. So don't know how anyone can say he somehow replaces Bo. And people would argue he is. But if he truly is, then why is everytime Petey is on Bo's line, Petey is the winger? 

42 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I agree. I really like Silvos. Would like to get another goalie in the system next year. Not super high on Brennan. If its this year and Topias Leinonen is available depending on who we leave on the board I could be all for it. 

If by building from the goalie out you mean we need to be taking D who can play defense I'm 100% with you. I'm running up to the podium for L/RD Lian Bichsel.  Really digging Liam Arnsby Shut down C, Sam Rinzel RD, John Babcock Physical LD. 

We arent gonna win an arms race with the Avs so we gotta build a team that can counter punch. 

yep, we need d that can actually play defence. Its shaping up to be OEL, Hughes and maybe Rathbone for our skilled puck movers (who also happen to be good defensively) so if JR/PA can add some sound defensive partners I think we'll be in good shape. We don't need guys that are high point producers paired with them. 

I would love to add someone the size of Bichsel to the group. 

Its why I don't see us being that far away from being competitive IF they can bring in solid defensemen for OEL and Hughes. We're going to have big bodies in Podz and Klimovich but we need more wingers in that style imo, which we should be able to draft more of in later rounds and/or UFAs. 

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

thats your pricing, not mine 

I love how worked up you get :lol: 

having Petey, Miller and Bo on good contracts (i.e. all under 8 mil AAV) is a great idea. We can build around them with younger wingers and veteran UFA wingers like many teams attract when they are back in contention. No video game needed. 

Cool, you think Petey is getting under 8 next deal? LOL

Also, you seem to missing the entire point of my post but oh well...it seem's you're having some challenges understanding what I was saying but given I've explained it a few times now, no need to repeat it!

but i'll give you another hint when it comes to cap management. You don't want to tie up that much money in 3 top 6 centers because it limits your financial flexibility (oops I'm re-explaining to you)...but here's the hint, go look at the 2023 RD UFA class and reconsider where we need to spend our cap ....again, can't think in a vacuum kid! You have to think forward! Just because it fits under the cap next season doesn't mean your TEAM is better long term and that you're in a position / have the flexibility to improve it in the future. 

And since we have to improve instead of just paying the same players more money - that would be the definition of insanity wouldn't it? Do the same thing over and over, and expect a different result?

cheers!

Edited by NucknAsia

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

yep, we need d that can actually play defence. Its shaping up to be OEL, Hughes and maybe Rathbone for our skilled puck movers (who also happen to be good defensively) so if JR/PA can add some sound defensive partners I think we'll be in good shape. We don't need guys that are high point producers paired with them. 

I would love to add someone the size of Bichsel to the group. 

Its why I don't see us being that far away from being competitive IF they can bring in solid defensemen for OEL and Hughes. We're going to have big bodies in Podz and Klimovich but we need more wingers in that style imo, which we should be able to draft more of in later rounds and/or UFAs. 

Wingers are relatively easily acquired. Centers, Rhd and power forwards are harder to come by so we need to be drafting those. And flipping the expendable ones to fill out the roster. 

It's hard to flip a 2nd line winger for a 3c but if you've got a few 3c you can probably flip 1 for a power fwd or #3/4D

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Cool, you think Petey is getting under 8 next deal? LOL

LOL, lucky for us, we have him for 2 more years at 7.3. If Petey ends up being worth more on his next deal, then thats a great problem to have. 

Also, you seem to missing the entire point of my post but oh well...it seem's you're having some challenges understanding what I was saying but given I've explained it a few times now, no need to repeat it!

no I didn't miss it, I just don't happen to agree with you. 

but i'll give you another hint when it comes to cap management. You don't want to tie up that much money in 3 top 6 centers because it limits your financial flexibility (oops I'm re-explaining to you)...but here's the hint, go look at the 2023 RD UFA class and reconsider where we need to spend our cap ....again, can't think in a vacuum kid! You have to think forward! Just because it fits under the cap next season doesn't mean your TEAM is better long term and that you're in a position / have the flexibility to improve it in the future. 

And since we have to improve instead of just paying the same players more money - that would be the definition of insanity wouldn't it? Do the same thing over and over, and expect a different result?

cheers!

kid? :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

LOL, lucky for us, we have him for 2 more years at 7.3. If Petey ends up being worth more on his next deal, then thats a great problem to have. 

Sporto¿

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Wingers are relatively easily acquired. Centers, Rhd and power forwards are harder to come by so we need to be drafting those. And flipping the expendable ones to fill out the roster. 

It's hard to flip a 2nd line winger for a 3c but if you've got a few 3c you can probably flip 1 for a power fwd or #3/4D

yep. Thats why we need to hang on to our valuable talent now (unless there's some kind of actual roster quality for quality hockey trade).

Lets move Myers, Pearson, Dickie, Poolman and Garland first, and see what we can do to improve the club before we burn off our elite talent for magic beans. 

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thanks for proving my point of thinking in a vacuum

I guess you ignore the long term implications of cap management and that's the issue.....but it seems you don't understand that money agreed to now limits the money we can spend down the road.

thanks!

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yep. Thats why we need to hang on to our valuable talent now (unless there's some kind of actual roster quality for quality hockey trade).

Lets move Myers, Pearson, Dickie, Poolman and Garland first, and see what we can do to improve the club before we burn off our elite talent for magic beans. 

Yes there's always a big market for our Junk that will somehow manage to improve our club

trade out overpaid junk

bring back inexpensive young talent 

GM's are really stupid around the league, more than willing to just take our junk off our hands and weaken their own teams!

SMH...

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Yes there's always a big market for our Junk that will somehow manage to improve our club

trade out overpaid junk

bring back inexpensive young talent 

GM's are really stupid around the league, more than willing to just take our junk off our hands and weaken their own teams!

SMH...

OK I think we've had our fun, you're starting to get a little obnoxious. Its OK to just disagree. 

• Cheers 1