The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capatlize on flyers proposal

38 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Do you get a 5th overall for Miller-50% Retained?

Or what about Ottawa's 7th overall for Miller-No Retention?

I'm all over the board.

Is Miller -50% worth Ottawa or Philly's 1sts in 2022 and 2023?

Torts apparently just said something about wanting to add a player that could fit a description of Miller.

And Ottawa said they're willing to move the 7th OA and want a forward or a defenceman.

What about Miller and Myers with no retention on either for Ottawa's 2022 and 2023 firsts?

Article re: Ottawa's draft pick:

Reveal hidden contents

OTTAWA SENATORS COULD MAKE A BIG MOVE DURING THE 2022 DRAFT

With the seventh-overall selection in the 2022 NHL draft, the Ottawa Senators could add another promising young player to their ranks. But with the team receiving calls about the pick, could they end up moving it?

Steven Bisig-USA TODAY Sports

With the seventh-overall selection in the 2022 NHL draft, the Ottawa Senators could add another promising young player to their ranks. However, general manager Pierre Dorion could decide to move that pick for more immediate roster help.

The Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch reports Dorion has received inquiries from other clubs about that pick. The Senators' GM indicated he could move it before the opening round on July 7 if it'll fetch an impact player.

Dorion seeks a top-six forward and a top-four defenseman, prompting Garrioch to suggest he could target cap-strapped clubs. The Senators are rumored to have an interest in Minnesota Wild winger Kevin Fiala while the Florida Panthers could attempt to clear some cap room to re-sign unrestricted free agent Claude Giroux.

Garrioch also listed the Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knights, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks and Edmonton Oilers among those with limited cap room.

Alex DeBrincat could be a trade target but the Blackhawks could insist Dorion also include a good young player and a high-quality prospect in the deal. DeBrincat's UFA eligibility in 2024 would complicate where he'd fit into the Senators' long-term plans.

Jeff Petry and Josh Anderson have come up in trade rumors but the two Canadiens carry limited no-trade clauses and could overrule a move to Ottawa. Shea Theodore lacks no-trade protection but the Golden Knights won't peddle their best puck-moving defenseman.

Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns have also surfaced in trade rumors but both carry expensive contracts and could reject a trade to a rebuilding club.

Bruins blueliners Brandon Carlo and Matt Grzelcyk could be available but giving up a seventh-overall selection would be an overpayment for either guy.

The same goes for Oilers' rearguard Tyson Barrie. 

I don't really know.  I suppose any trade is possible - but it's tough to say.   It wouldn't surprise me if Miller is on the roster all year and then signs somewhere else.   It would surprise me if we get PHI fifth overall but maybe it's doable.   OTT is a decent trade target and have thought that for months.  COL is too.   For sure are in a win now ... one cup or two.   Or whatever happens .. Kadri is too rich next season for them.   I do doubt Miller goes to anyone in our division.    

13 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Well obviously if your gonna work a deal a boeser agreement would happen first and I think you guys under estimate 30 goal scorers value if they miss out on gaud they will be desperate 

Its always hilarious when people call Brock a 30 goal scorer. He got 23 this year in a full season. He had 9g 11a 20pt 5v5.  

Lets use Tanner Pearson as a comparable. Tanner had 11g 15a 26pt 5v5 while playing much more difficult deployment.

If you take away Brocks cushy minutes his play falls off a cliff. 

On 6/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, IBatch said:

I don't really know.  I suppose any trade is possible - but it's tough to say.   It wouldn't surprise me if Miller is on the roster all year and then signs somewhere else.   It would surprise me if we get PHI fifth overall but maybe it's doable.   OTT is a decent trade target and have thought that for months.  COL is too.   For sure are in a win now ... one cup or two.   Or whatever happens .. Kadri is too rich next season for them.   I do doubt Miller goes to anyone in our division.    

That's a danger too, play Miller for the year without resigning him. The danger of losing him for nothing which would be embarrassing. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That's a danger too, play Miller for the year without resigning him. The danger of losing him for nothing which would be embarrassing. 

I'm not so sure but yes it probably isn't ideal.    Given what we've seen from some UFAs ... a massive pay deal could be actually worse, as could a trade although not as likely.    Teams can afford a vet or two that's overpaid ... especially impact ones.    It wouldn't be the end of the world just to let him walk and regain the cap - but it would be embarrassing to management given they said this team can't afford just that.   It does happen every year.     Worst case actually is a bad trade that ends up sucking up cap ... or re-signing Miller and in a few short years regretting it, odds are both are better though.   I love Miller.   He's exactly the type of player every team needs too.   Right now at least, probably for another 4 or so years, but a trade could be massive for this core as well.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Good proposal, fills a lot of needs but I doubt they give up their 5th overall as well. Laughton was a big part of their team. Pearson is obviously pretty under-rated but would really suit Tortorella's style of play whereas I bet Boeser will end up in the dog-house a lot. 

Laughton's value is probably around the same as Pearson's, maybe a bit more because he takes a lot of faceoffs, so then you have to think - is Boeser alone worth a little bit of Laughton + a 5th overall? Considering he was taken 26th overall and has probably played his way into 15-20th overall position, I don't think he's worth a 5OA (+ some value of Laughton).

Realistically to make this work I think we have to give up a higher pick than 3rd round. Most likely 15th overall, or maybe we get away with giving a 2nd round pick. To be honest I'd be happy to do either - we get a RHD prospect and solid 3rd line center, and at the value of 2 wingers who are a bit more expendable with Kuzmenko coming in.

All that being said, for me personally I'd rather not trade away Boeser just yet (and doubt JR will after what they've said this off-season about re-signing him) but would rather flip Garland, and to be honest Pearson brings so much to the table in terms of physicality, grit and defence that the rest of our young forwards lack. 

I'd rather try and sign one of these many UFAs to fill our 3C needs, and if we want the 5th overall, see if they'll bite on Garland + 2nd/3rd round pick straight up.