The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Sandpaper guy, Horvat's best man, J. Anderson?

President Rutherford has stated he would like to add some sandpaper to the Canucks lineup. Montreal GM has said something along the lines of they would listen to offers but weren't shopping Josh Anderson. Josh has a 5.55m cap hit for 5 more years taking him to his 33 yr old birthday, in May of the last year of his contract.

Josh Anderson is a 6'3 226lbs forward. Could he be a nice addition on a line with Pettersson? He had 153 hits last year according to statmuse.com. Josh might be a nice complimentary player for our top 6 who can add some hits and a physical presence on the ice. Josh also played 3 years in London with our captain Bo Horvat and I believe Josh was one of Bo's best men at his wedding??

What would Montreal want in return? Could they be interested in Garland who is signed with term and 2 years younger than Josh? Would the Canucks or Montreal have to add? Garland puts up more points but come playoff time having someone like Anderson in our forward group could be a bigger addition? Might the Canucks be able to get a 2nd round pick back if we dealt Garland? Montreal has Edm's 2022 2nd round pick, but for a rebuilding team would they part with a 2nd or rather offer 1 of there 3rd rounders if any?

Discuss and tell me I am wrong yet again...

• Haha 2

Reports are that  Montreal is not shopping Anderson but several GM’s have inquired about him.  Hughes reportedly turned down several substantial offers for him at the trade deadline. 

Pierre Lubrun says they don’t want to move him and it would have to be something really significant for them to do it.   

Hughes commented on ihim after the Weber trade and said it’s not his intention to move Anderson and the fact that he’s still a Canadien speaks to how much they love the player. 

I don’t think they move him for Garland. Let alone adding 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's a 30 point centre over the age of 30 with a history of shoulder issues recently.  If we're swinging for the fences, Roy out of vegas is a better fit all around.  25 years old 6 foot 4 better defensively and still hits hard.  Best part is that Vegas is unlikely to be able to afford him even with the dadonov trade.

Listen to Habs fans, they think Anderson is worth the 5th OA from the flyers.  The Knights might be happy with a B prospect and late pick

For the record he’s not over 30. He just turned 28 a few weeks ago 

There's apparently a lot of interest in Anderson but Hughes' preference is to keep him as they think he can be part of their rebuild.  

LeBrun says to be pried away it would require a serious package led by a top prospect plus other assets.  Doubt Garland moves the needle + they are already undersized up front.

Edited by mll

Anderson appears to be heavily overvalued in comparison to his actual on ice performance.

He has 3rd line production, not great defensively, and is on a big $5.5 million contract.  If the league didn't still overvalue big players he would be a cap dump at that cap hit... not a player that would demand a hefty return.  He is Tanner Pearson with a little more edge and fights a couple times a year... but a lot less ability to play a 2 way game.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Anderson is a cap dump.  Habs would need to add a first, and more, just to have any team take on that contract.

The guy has 60 points over his last 3 seasons, and has injury troubles.

JR is way too smart to add a craperolla contract like that.  Less than zero interest in such a contract.  :sick:

Habs can keep Anderson, Drouin, and all their crap contracts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Anderson appears to be heavily overvalued in comparison to his actual on ice performance.

He has 3rd line production, not great defensively, and is on a big $5.5 million contract.  If the league didn't still overvalue big players he would be a cap dump at that cap hit... not a player that would demand a hefty return.  He is Tanner Pearson with a little more edge and fights a couple times a year... but a lot less ability to play a 2 way game.

Josh Anderson is the epitome of falling in love with the idea of a player. What I think he can be, and what he actually is, are worlds apart. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

How 'bout Horvat to WPG for Dubois.  Sign Kuzmenko.  Re-sign Miller and Boeser.

Dubois - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Miller - Podkolzin

If you ask for PLD in the Jets forum, they will ask for Petey or Hughes back which is obviously a big 'no' for us. They think PLD is a cornerstone for their franchise.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

he's also a bit of a no-show in the playoffs. 

Hard pass on this guy, I wouldn't want him for anything significant. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

PLD is the dream.  Perfect player for Petey.  Winnipeg isn't trading him though unless we include Petey himself or probably Podkolzin +++...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Josh Anderson is the epitome of falling in love with the idea of a player. What I think he can be, and what he actually is, are worlds apart. 

Sounds like Taylor Pyatt.

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jet won't trade Dubois 23, 6'3 C/W  for Horvat 27 ???? -- Same avg point totals-- 

Jets would want a pick added or Hoglander type...3rd rounder and Horvat

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Jet won't trade Dubois 23, 6'3 C/W  for Horvat 27 ???? -- Same avg point totals-- 

Jets would want a pick added or Hoglander type...3rd rounder and Horvat

If all it took in addition to Bo to get PLD was Hogs then JR better make that deal.  PLD is a great young player, who plays with mean.  Love to have that guy for that cost.  

• Cheers 1

While I would like to add Josh Anderson, I don't see a fit in a trade.  

Montreal is looking to get younger, as are we.  If you put a gun to my head and made me write the most likely deal between the two teams that involves Anderson...  

Jack Rathbone + 2023 2nd round pick 

for 

Josh Anderson  

That trade would make the most sense, but it would mean that Allvin maybe has a side deal made to trade away Garland or Boeser.  Either way I don't think that Josh Anderson is getting dealt.  

7 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not a Center either...keyboard warrior typing fast with little hockey knowledge outside the Canucks

hey champ, I outright said I was thinking of Cam Atkinson who is a 33 year old right winger that also has played centre.  but hey, thanks for coming out with that fast typing keyboard warrior mentality and amazing contribution :) 

Edited by Warhippy