The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Brendan Gaunce

Really happy for Gaunce. Felt like he never really got a fair shot here. The only thing he seemed to lack was 'quick' feet and wasn't using his size enough. He was straight line fast. But both of those issues could be improved on.

He went to Europe, clearly improved his quickness, and came back a year or 2 ago. I watched a few games of CBJ and he was also using his size alot better. Sometimes players just need to learn how to adjust their game from junior to be effective in the NHL

I am glad he found a way, and from the games I saw he was quite effective in his role. Hopefully he gets another contract after this one!

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Good for him, it's not the NHL but he's playing hockey and making good coin. 

I wonder if he’s going to be their AHL captain?  He sure has the character to be a great captain at that level.  Perv3 t for the younger guys to learn from.  

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if he’s going to be their AHL captain?  He sure has the character to be a great captain at that level.  Perv3 t for the younger guys to learn from.  

Gaunce was always a good dude, his biggest fault was lacking speed 

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Gaunce was always a good dude, his biggest fault was lacking speed 

Yes, lack of speed but also not enough physicality. Glad he got another contract. He has stuck it out which says a lot about character. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2022 at 5:12 PM, Alflives said:

Always liked Gaunce.  I remember him helping Tryamkin finish the ?Grouse Grind in prospects’ camp.  I remember him locking a shot with his teeth and finishing his shift.  Super likeable person.  Good for him.  And it’s a great contract.  Guaranteed 900 k very these two years.  Clearly CBJ really likes him too.  

He had the highest defensive zone starts in the league and it was something ridiculous like 87%.

Despite that he had solid underlying stats on an awful team. Outside of his rookie year he finished a +1 and those teams had a lot of -20 players. He was very good defensively and we started to see some of his offensive game develop.

In Boston he had that terrible injury. In his last call up in Vancouver he put up sparkling stats across the board in three games and didn’t even get to stick or another shot. I think he could have developed into a fantastic bottom 6 forward but instead we spent big money on older worse players.

I always liked Gaunce - nice to see him continue his career.

I felt his size and general 2-way game would probably stick him on a 4th line somewhere through his career, but he doesn't play as big as he really is and his skills never really developed much. But good for him; let's face it - even half a million for playing the game you love ain't bad.