The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers sign head coach Jay Woodcroft to contract extension

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I thought he did a great job during the playoffs as I honestly didn't think they'd go that far. He also sounded knowledgeable in the admittedly few times I heard him speak. Now, does that warrant a 3-year deal? I guess we'll see how much his annual salary is...

The thing is people here in Alberta ( Mark Spector for one) are now labelling them Cup contenders after 1 playoff run that really only happened because LA was without Doughty. If Drew is 100% in that series LA moves on. Then they play Calgary who showed their true colours in the playoffs like they usually do. Finally they run up against an actual NHL team and they are swept. We will see how Woodcroft does over a full season - 3 years is very risky and lets not kid ourselves - his success is due to letting Connor and Leon do their thing and eventually their lack of defensive coverage bit them in the ass. Not only that but the injuries to Draisatl and Nurse are likely sue to Jay's overuse of them doing the season. I think Tippet's demise was due to wanting his big guns to play a complete game and them quitting on him. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

The thing is people here in Alberta ( Mark Spector for one) are now labelling them Cup contenders after 1 playoff run that really only happened because LA was without Doughty. If Drew is 100% in that series LA moves on. Then they play Calgary who showed their true colours in the playoffs like they usually do. Finally they run up against an actual NHL team and they are swept. We will see how Woodcroft does over a full season - 3 years is very risky and lets not kid ourselves - his success is due to letting Connor and Leon do their thing and eventually their lack of defensive coverage bit them in the ass. Not only that but the injuries to Draisatl and Nurse are likely sue to Jay's overuse of them doing the season. I think Tippet's demise was due to wanting his big guns to play a complete game and them quitting on him. 

Exactly!  A team’s best players need to make the sacrifice to play the right way, especially in the playoffs.  I think Draisatl actually tries to do that.  McDavid doesn’t though.  So any coach, especially a rookie, will struggle in Edmonton in playoff hockey when up against a team who’s top guys make that sacrifice.  

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  A team’s best players need to make the sacrifice to play the right way, especially in the playoffs.  I think Draisatl actually tries to do that.  McDavid doesn’t though.  So any coach, especially a rookie, will struggle in Edmonton in playoff hockey when up against a team who’s top guys make that sacrifice.  

I absolutely agree 

It's possible that no one actually wants to coach the Oilers. McDavid (and Dratsaitl) are amazing, but it'll always fall on the coach if the team falters. It's not so much the coaching that is problematic, but maybe the roster build.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Draisaitl does sometimes but he does often float, similar to Miller.  He needs to concentrate on backchecking instead of diving and spearing guys in the balls.  He's just as much of a gutless piece of garbage as the scumbag they have wearing the C.  Until they get a coach with the balls to tell those 2 that they will either start acting like men on and off the ice or they will be in the press-box, they won't succeed.  Torts is what they needed.