The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks now have 2 Russians and 1 Belarusian playing for the team. Depending how the war is going in Ukraine there is a chance their visa might be canceled by both Canada and the USA. There is a movement in Europe to restrict all Russian tourist visas. 

This is a cloud hanging over the Canuck season.

Can't see the US cancelling Russian work visas - there's 140,000 of them issued, many with families in tow. 

https://ru.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/employment-based-immigration/

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks now have 2 Russians and 1 Belarusian playing for the team. Depending how the war is going in Ukraine there is a chance their visa might be canceled by both Canada and the USA. There is a movement in Europe to restrict all Russian tourist visas. 

Yeah, I've thought about the impact the war might have on these guys. It could be a distraction for them, a distraction for the rest of the team (depending on their perspectives and ability to remain professional and not political) and, as you state, an ability to play at all depending on their VISA status. From the perspective of the team, it's a good thing Podz is well liked, as he kinda sets the stage for the newcomers.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Can't see the US cancelling Russian work visas - there's 140,000 of them issued, many with families in tow. 

https://ru.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/employment-based-immigration/

I agree, I think it's very unlikely a large scale deportation would occur. If things escalate a more likely scenario would be that no new visas will be issued and that visas would be revoked if a Russian leaves Canada, but are allowed to stay otherwise. Also those that have been living in Canada for a few years will likely be allowed to renew their visas if sponsored. 

5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I agree, I think it's very unlikely a large scale deportation would occur. If things escalate a more likely scenario would be that no new visas will be issued and that visas would be revoked if a Russian leaves Canada, but are allowed to stay otherwise. Also those that have been living in Canada for a few years will likely be allowed to renew their visas if sponsored. 

its possible that many of them could ask for express entry and want to stay in Canada. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

d50749797714a6c79cc24b101ba5e43d.jpg

Ummm…OK?

• Haha 2

If Kuzmenko shows really well, or even just decently well, should the Canucks look to get him extended as quickly as possible (so January 1st), or wait until the summer?

Obviously Horvat is the focus right now, when it comes to pending free agents. And then there are a bunch of depth players and prospects that will be hitting either UFA or RFA status in 2023.

I’m just thinking that, if Kuzmenko pans out and looks like a bonafide NHL player who can help this team long-term, it might be a good idea to lock him up as early as possible. I doubt the price for an extension will improve the longer they wait (assuming he plays well), as he’ll just become more “proven” with every game he plays, and also he’ll get closer and closer to the open market.

Kuzmenko and his agent may already intend to test that UFA market, planning on securing the maximum contract possible for him, using this one year ELC with the Canucks to showcase him to the rest of the league and drive up his value for a bidding war. But maybe the lure of security and a chance to continue his career in Vancouver (an up-and-coming team, in a very beautiful location, and with some fellow Russians on the roster), would make him open to signing his extension sometime early in the new year, and perhaps at a little less money than he might eventually command in the summer and on the open market.

I dunno. Just something I was thinking about this morning.

I have a feeling he’s gonna be pretty good. And I’m a little worried that he might be so good that he’ll ultimately price himself out of Vancouver’s current cap structure, especially if he’s on the open market, after putting up an entire season with solid numbers.

(I suppose another option would be to sell him for assets, if it looks like they can’t afford to keep him beyond this season. But I’d rather keep him around, if he looks like a piece that can help this team contend.)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If Kuzmenko shows really well, or even just decently well, should the Canucks look to get him extended as quickly as possible (so January 1st), or wait until the summer?

Obviously Horvat is the focus right now, when it comes to pending free agents. And then there are a bunch of depth players and prospects that will be hitting either UFA or RFA status in 2023.

I’m just thinking that, if Kuzmenko pans out and looks like a bonafide NHL player who can help this team long-term, it might be a good idea to lock him up as early as possible. I doubt the price for an extension will improve the longer they wait (assuming he plays well), as he’ll just become more “proven” with every game he plays, and also he’ll get closer and closer to the open market.

Kuzmenko and his agent may already intend to test that UFA market, planning on securing the maximum contract possible for him, using this one year ELC with the Canucks to showcase him to the rest of the league and drive up his value for a bidding war. But maybe the lure of security and a chance to continue his career in Vancouver (an up-and-coming team, in a very beautiful location, and with some fellow Russians on the roster), would make him open to signing his extension sometime early in the new year, and perhaps at a little less money than he might eventually command in the summer and on the open market.

I have a feeling he’s gonna be pretty good. And I’m a little worried that he might be so good that he’ll ultimately price himself out of Vancouver’s current cap structure, especially if he’s on the open market, after putting up an entire season with solid numbers.

(I suppose another option would be to sell him for assets, if it looks like they can’t afford to keep him beyond this season. But I’d rather keep him around, if he looks like a piece that can help this team contend.)

I have a feeling he's going to be pretty good too, though I'm not sure how we'll fit him into our cap if he ends up being more like $3-$5M depending on how he plays, especially given a raise to Horvat incoming.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I remember when he was a free agent, one of the considerations was looking for a team that had cap space to extend him in the future. He wasn't necessarily looking for a team just for the season, but perhaps a team will keep him longer. The Canucks didn't go through all of the hassle to bring him in to let him walk that easily. If he pans out to the point where he is beating established players around him, then we start to look to move out other wingers. Hopefully the team starts out hot and ups the value on players like Boeser and Garland.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 8/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, Boudrias said:

Would be typical Canucks luck...

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I remember when he was a free agent, one of the considerations was looking for a team that had cap space to extend him in the future. He wasn't necessarily looking for a team just for the season, but perhaps a team will keep him longer. The Canucks didn't go through all of the hassle to bring him in to let him walk that easily. If he pans out to the point where he is beating established players around him, then we start to look to move out other wingers. Hopefully the team starts out hot and ups the value on players like Boeser and Garland.

Good point. Kuzmenko definitely took his time and put a lot of thought into his decision. He really seemed to be looking for the best overall fit, not just for this year, but for many more (hopefully) in the NHL. So there’s a good chance he’s already committed to the idea of staying here, so long as everything works out on the ice, and the money is there for an extension.

If he proves to be a good player for us, management might very well choose to make room for him (if needed), by selling off another asset (and possibly also upgrading the D in the process).

Hopefully Kuzmenko meets or exceeds expectations and the Canucks can re-sign him and keep him around for several more years. We’ll see what this season brings, but I’m optimistic that he’s gonna be a really good player here, and one we’ll want to hang on to, if possible.

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good point. Kuzmenko definitely took his time and put a lot of thought into his decision. He really seemed to be looking for the best overall fit, not just for this year, but for many more (hopefully) in the NHL. So there’s a good chance he’s already committed to the idea of staying here, so long as everything works out on the ice, and the money is there for an extension.

If he proves to be a good player for us, management might very well choose to make room for him (if needed), by selling off another asset (and possibly also upgrading the D in the process).

Hopefully Kuzmenko meets or exceeds expectations and the Canucks can re-sign him and keep him around for several more years. We’ll see what this season brings, but I’m optimistic that he’s gonna be a really good player here, and one we’ll want to hang on to, if possible.

If all this is true, and it very well may be, then we have a very intelligent player again to go along with a long line of very intelligent players, some of which were 'Russian' like Bure and one of which is my favorite smart Canucks of all time, the Professor, Igor Larionovich.  That Russian team he led was beyond outstanding.  His time with us was cerebral.  We never should have let him go; but he wanted us to and Quinn obliged (at least that's the way I remember the story was told, lol).

If Kuz has us all figured out, I welcome it.  Podz is soak'n it all in at a hundred miles an hour from everybody, including EP, which has not been much discussed.

Mekheyev brings it all too, speed, size, smarts, our Russians are gonna rock this town.

Any players who want to play for the Vancouver Canucks are smart players; this is the way.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:31 AM, Boudrias said:

There is a cloud hanging all over the world due to 'the situation' in Ukraine.

War is hell.

Sports entertainment is an alternative to real life events.

So take the upside perhaps, our Russians and Belarusians (did I get that right?) are all over here now, are they not?

As far as the States vs Canada, money talks, and these young millionaires will be able to cross the border, almost at will.

They are not on tourist visas, as far as I know, so not applicable.

We have no clouds anymore Bouds.

No 'Canuck Luck' Spook

We are free and clear and gonna Win The Stanley Cup.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Damn Kuz looking super big and strong in that clip! He tossed that guy aside like a rag doll!

I know they’re both the same age, but Kuz really shouldn’t be manhandling Garland like that. He’s still technically a rookie and needs to show more respect for veteran players. ;) 

(The Garland joke isn’t mine. It’s been made a few times already on social media, I just couldn’t resist. :lol:)

Also have to say, Kuzmenko is just so damned likeable. His big smile and personality really comes through on the clips I’ve watched so far. If his play on the ice impresses, I could see him quickly becoming a fan favourite.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:55 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I was thinking pretty much the same thing but would add a few points.

1. It would not be a surprise if Kuzmenko improves as the year progresses as it will take a while to adjust to the North American game, to learn the Canuck systems, to develop chemistry with teammates and just to get comfortable in Vancouver. And he will probably get more PP time after he figures things out as well. If so, that suggests re-signing him as soon as possible as the price-tag would only rise with time. 

2.  I am pretty sure the Canucks will try to re-sign him as soon as possible if even he gets off to a slow start.  

3. I would expect that he chose Vancouver in  part with the idea that it might be a good long-run landing spot for him.  Obviously the outcome will depend on how much he likes it here, which will probably depend in part on how well the team does. 

4. If he does not re-sign I would be inclined to trade him at the deadline.  As JR said about Miller, he would not want to lose an asset of that much value  for nothing.  And if he does not re-sign by then, chances are he will looking to maximize his financial return, which  probably takes Vancouver out of the picture.  Vancouver did well to sign him to an ELC. They can't let that good fortune disappear as a "one and done" situation. 

5. My secret (or not-so-secret) hope is that he gets off to a decent but "under-the-radar" start, signs a team-friendly extension on January 1, and then turns into Artemi Panarin.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1