The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Let's Go Get that 2nd OA Pick

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Although I like your idea to get 2OA, I wonder if JR would be more interested in drafting Jiricek than Slafkosky?

what about Slafkovsky at 2, Bischel at 15? bulk up plan. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Overpayment for 2nd overall. 
Kakko was suppose to be the next superstar winger at 2nd and looked how that turned out. 
these 18yr kids aren’t guaranteed unless they are named matthews or mcdavid

Turned out fine. Not every high pick is going to be a star in the league after 2 COVID shortened season at the age of 20. He is a solid physical winger on the way up in his career. 
PFs have always taken longer. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Overpayment for 2nd overall. 
Kakko was suppose to be the next superstar winger at 2nd and looked how that turned out. 
these 18yr kids aren’t guaranteed unless they are named matthews or mcdavid

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Turned out fine. Not every high pick is going to be a star in the league after 2 COVID shortened season at the age of 20. He is a solid physical winger on the way up in his career. 
PFs have always taken longer. 

Yeah, and Slafkovsky is also bigger and meaner.  I mean, Kakko is no slouch at 6'3" 205lbs at 21yo, but Slafkovsky is already 6'4" 220lbs at 18yo!  He plays tough too... he's just gonna be a beast that will be incredibly difficult to handle as he matures into that massive frame.  Think Podkolzin, but bigger, stronger and meaner.

Edited by HKSR

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You're overvaluing Miller or underestimating the value of the 2OA imo 

You are undervaluing jt miller

venture to guess where he stands in points the last 3 seasons compare to the rest of the league?

#12 in total points

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, mordekai said:

venture to guess where he stands in points the last 3 seasons compare to the rest of the league?

#12 in total points

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Agreed. If it were us with the 2nd overall pick, we'd be wanting more in return.

If JTM were 24 or 25 years old, then yeah, you've got a point.  But he's nearly 30 years old already.  Believe me, I'm as big of a fan of Miller as there is on here, but I'm realistic in that a 2nd OA pick is worth a TON.

As Master Mind mentioned, flip the scenario.  If the Canucks had 2nd OA, what would it take for you to trade that away knowing you'd have a kid like Slafkovsky sitting there ready to be selected.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mordekai said:

#12 in total points

Nah, I'm not. I promise you. 

A top 3 pick hasn't been moved since the Yashin trade, which featured the Isles 20A, it's rarely ever happened in the modern hockey era. Hell, top 10 picks themselves are almost never moved. 

At 20A most years you're getting what's arguably a 1OA talent because many years don't feature a slam dunk 1OA player. You also potentially set your team up with a young franchise player who'll be both under team control and cost controlled as a RFA. That's worth a helluva lot more than a JT Miller who'll be 30 before his next contract even kicks in. Miller ain't a 23 year old McDavid, he's worth a lot but he ain't worth more than a 2OA. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really tough to pass on Nemec or Jiricek, or even Cooley, a centre. 

Slafkovsky is going to be really good, but he's also a winger. I think I'd rather they trade Miller to PHI for the #5, take the RD 

Yup.  If we are giving up important assets to move up I think JR would do so to pick one of those highly regarded D - Jiricek preferred.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  If we are giving up important assets to move up I think JR would do so to pick one of those highly regarded D - Jiricek preferred.  

Yes, winger are fairly easy to get in trades and free agency. Top 4 RDs are very difficult to acquire and very expensive.  This team is missing a high end RD partner for Hughes, not a big winger.

• Like 1