The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Jim Gregory GM of the Year Award finalists unveiled

Rate this topic

2022 Jim Gregory GM of the Year Award  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Jim Gregory GM of the Year Award?

• Julien BriseBois
    • Chris Drury
    • Joe Sakic

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

In all fairness Gillis built a team that won two Presidents’ trophies, got to game seven of the Cup, and were perennial contenders.  It as his job to trade assets for that purpose.  Benning was an idiot who couldn’t do anything right.  He is a blotch on our club’s history.  Our owner should get lashes for hiring him.  

So Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Podz, and Pettersson is "not doing anything right"?

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Strange how Gillis was that amazing yet can't get another GM gig....

Do you not recognize a blackball when you see it? He pissed off Bettman at least twice; once when he was a player agent and was instrumental in driving player salaries up See: Bobby Holik), and once when he signed Luongo to that ridiculous back-diving contract. If Bettman isn't a fan, then you'll be out of work for a very long time.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I get it that people don't like the results of Benning. And he made some boneheaded moves.

But it's not like JP and Allvin have to start from scratch.

Right on. The team that turned the season around and nearly made the playoffs was the same team that sucked to start the season. The right coach brought out the high level skill those players had, and it was a belief in that high skill level that Benning used to assemble the team that ended the season. I get really tired of the "Benning never did anything right, ever, in his life, and never will" crowd. Yes the man had his limitations, as do we all, but many of his acquisitions have proven to be sound. Give credit where credit is due and be grateful for the players he acquired who are now important pieces of a developing team.

I'm eager to see what Allvin and his massive staff will do, and am confident that they know infinitely more about running an NHL team than I or any of us do, but Ghost is right, the foundation is already there, it just needs remodelling and updating. 

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Julioevi and Jake and Jarrod and all those picks wasted in trades for “filler” say hi.  

Fact: Gillis’ teams are our best ever.  

Opinion: Benning is our worst GM ever. 

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Right on. The team that turned the season around and nearly made the playoffs was the same team that sucked to start the season. The right coach brought out the high level skill those players had, and it was a belief in that high skill level that Benning used to assemble the team that ended the season. I get really tired of the "Benning never did anything right, ever, in his life, and never will" crowd. Yes the man had his limitations, as do we all, but many of his acquisitions have proven to be sound. Give credit where credit is due and be grateful for the players he acquired who are now important pieces of a developing team.

I'm eager to see what Allvin and his massive staff will do, and am confident that they know infinitely more about running an NHL team than I or any of us do, but Ghost is right, the foundation is already there, it just needs remodelling and updating. 

Nobody is arguing that any GM is perfect or all bad. 
It is a fair argument that on balance Benning was terrible. 
The turn around this year was fun but let’s not oversell, after Bruce took over we were a middle third team. 
There are some parts of a foundation there but a foundation with three walls won’t work for long. 
With more luck we would probably be much further along. If you look at players that Benning was linked to in various drafts like Zegras and Makar you can see where we might be with just a little more lottery luck. 
At the end of the day where Benning was the worst was stepping back and evaluating his team, the one he should know the best. He always thought we were further along than we were and another UFA or two away.  All this accomplished was adding to the chance to miss out on Makar and Zegras etc. When I defended Benning it was always he did the most important thing well, he drafted and developed well but that just didn’t bear out in the long run.  He was a middling drafter and player development was almost always rushed to the player and team’s detriment, these are just things it takes longer to see given how long development cycles take.

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hughes was a no brainer, my cat could have made that pic, Podz was third ranked prospect who slid because of his KHL contract, so good for Benning to have the patience, Petterson was a good pic, a slight reach at his position in the draft. Boeser was a good pick as well. Demko is the biggest success story of Benning’s time here and one of the few value pics that Benning got out of first round. 
8 years of a draft and develop GM and this is all we can identify as a success?

Edited by DrJockitch

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Julioevi and Jake and Jarrod and all those picks wasted in trades for “filler” say hi.  

Benning couldn't manage the owner.  All the lousy moves were an attempt to appease the man at the top and then he had to scramble to make it all work.  JR seems to be able to "manage up" but he's left with a mess to untangle.  I'm afraid things may get worse before they get better 

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention trading for Miller.

yet somehow with that core only 1 playoff (during the bubble) appearance.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Fact: Quinn's team got to a goalpost of tying Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. And lost by a goal.

Fact: Gillis' team got blown out in Game 7, and couldn't win, or score on the road.

Quinn was a far better coach and GM than Gillis ever was just as a GM. In fact he got hired as a coach and GM of teams since being turfed by Vancouver.

14 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Strange how Gillis was that amazing yet can't get another GM gig....

Your comment would be valid if it were true that teams always make competent hires.

But we all know that's the furthest thing from the truth.

And we had Exhibit A for that here for 7+ years.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...