The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Okay, Save the Oilers..PLEASE!

Rate this topic

HKSR

Saw an article about Holland hoping to bring Evander Kane back, and I laughed.  Talk about a cap hell situation...

The way I'm reading it is that they have $7M in cap space, but need to sign another 5 forwards and a starting goalie.

Among those 5 forwards needed to be re-signed include Yamamoto, Puulujarvi, and McLeod. 

Also, sounds like they won't get a cap credit if Keith retires lol

They also don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick this year to help in a cap dump situation. 

Last but not least, Hyman is probably the guy most contenders would want... but he's signed until he's 38 years old at $5.5M AAV.

Ugly ugly ugly....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Saw an article about Holland hoping to bring Evander Kane back, and I laughed.  Talk about a cap hell situation...

The way I'm reading it is that they have $7M in cap space, but need to sign another 5 forwards and a starting goalie.

Among those 5 forwards needed to be re-signed include Yamamoto, Puulujarvi, and McLeod. 

Also, sounds like they won't get a cap credit if Keith retires lol

They also don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick this year to help in a cap dump situation. 

Last but not least, Hyman is probably the guy most contenders would want... but he's signed until he's 38 years old at $5.5M AAV.

Ugly ugly ugly....

With the first pick in the draft the Edmonton Oilers select Connor Bedard…:sick:

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

We'll help them out with a trade of "pools".  Poolman (helps their D) for Puljujarvi (they seem to have soured on him).  With what they'll probably have to pay Puljujarvi as a RFA the salary cap is likely a wash.  Problem (partially) solved.  ^_^

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

With the first pick in the draft the Edmonton Oilers select Connor Bedard…:sick:

As long as they have McJesus, they'll never be bad enough to land 1st OA... although stranger things have happened I guess.

3 minutes ago, singing chef said:

We'll help them out with a trade of "pools".  Poolman (helps their D) for Puljujarvi (they seem to have soured on him).  With what they'll probably have to pay Puljujarvi as a RFA the salary cap is likely a wash.  Problem (partially) solved.  ^_^

Poolman would be their best right D.  There's better options in UFA but how many of them will be willing to play in that hellhole?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Demko is the Oilers' saviour.  We like Draisatl.  Save the Oilers JR!  

Yeah they might actually need to move Draisatl.  If they truly want to ice a competitive team, they've gotta move one of the 3 big contracts... it won't be McJesus, and Nurse is not gonna be movable with that ridiculous cap hit lol

30 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Only happens if McDavid and Draisaitl are injured for a significant portion of the season at the same time.

Wow great post!  It really is a mess isn't it?  Without doing something really wild it looks like Kassian is almost the only cap they could move without just creating more holes for themselves.  

Is Smith the only NHL goalie they have signed??  HAHA!!

Rumours are that FLA is looking to trade Bobrovsky and willing to retain 50%.  So it would be basically $5M for 4 more years.

Bob (50%) for Kassian + 2nd 2023

EDM gets a starting goalie.  FLA gets depth and slight cap relief next 2 yrs and a draft pick.

1 hour ago, singing chef said:

I actually quite like this. Can you imagine how many penalties a line of Garland, Lammiko and Puljujarvi would draw. I am gritting my teeth just thinking about how aggravating that line would be. 

48 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Wow great post!  It really is a mess isn't it?  Without doing something really wild it looks like Kassian is almost the only cap they could move without just creating more holes for themselves.  

Is Smith the only NHL goalie they have signed??  HAHA!!

Smith is not an NHL quality goalie anymore.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BPA said:

Rumours are that FLA is looking to trade Bobrovsky and willing to retain 50%.  So it would be basically $5M for 4 more years.

Bob (50%) for Kassian + 2nd 2023

EDM gets a starting goalie.  FLA gets depth and slight cap relief next 2 yrs and a draft pick.

That, would probably work for both sides.

The big question is, will Klefbom ever play again. If he does, then their free space on cap drops from 7 million down to 3 million, but they do pickup one more warm body on defense.

If Smith retires, that doesn't help them either as he's on a 35+ contract, so I believe he would still count against their cap next season, so they would have to cut into that 3 million to find a league minimum backup goalie.

They badly need Keith gone, but through trade, not through retirement, for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

On Puljujarvi, he still has potential, but I think he badly needs out of Edmonton. An offer of Poolman straight up might work if the understanding from Edmonton's side is, if they don't accept, we offer sheet him for 3 million for 2 years and give up a 2nd round pick.

It's not exactly like Bouchard is going to be cheap to resign next summer for them either.