The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Curtis Lazar interested in signing with Canucks

1 minute ago, Nurnge said:

Would he be replacing Petan's place as first call up centreman is how I would be looking at it and if he beat out Lammikko as 4th line center would it be a bad thing ? Canucks do need more NHL depth .

if he does want to sign in Van would a PTO if he is not signed somewhere else be a better thing ?

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

I am betting he gets a QO.

I do too.  But he's a left handed shot and not really a guy trusted to take D zone draws.  Larzar would be our D zone guy on his strong side and give Bo a break from taking so many on his weaker side.  

Just now, Nurnge said:

if he does want to sign in Van would a PTO if he is not signed somewhere else be a better thing ?

Lazar reminds me of where Manny Malholtra was in his career aournd the same time.  Manny was out of the league and recreated himself into a checking, hard to play against center who was super on draws.  He had a PTO with the Sharks and did well, so Gillis brought him in to fill the Defensive checking PK d zone guy.  Worked great for us.  

I see Lazar as filling that role, but as a fourth line center.  Manny skated way better than Lazar and could take on more.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lazar reminds me of where Manny Malholtra was in his career aournd the same time.  Manny was out of the league and recreated himself into a checking, hard to play against center who was super on draws.  He had a PTO with the Sharks and did well, so Gillis brought him in to fill the Defensive checking PK d zone guy.  Worked great for us.  

I see Lazar as filling that role, but as a fourth line center.  Manny skated way better than Lazar and could take on more.  

Cmon, dont compare Malhotra to Lazar. Malhotra was pretty great offensively as a third liner who could score 15 to 20 goals while being a beast defensively and being the best faceoff guy in the league. Malhotra was a selke nominee and was a core player. Lazar is no where near that and some aspect of his game is way too inferior to be like a Malhotra or even close to him. I take Lammiko over Lazar anyday as I see more potential in Lammiko plus his size helps a lot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm game. From what I've read he was a staple on the PK in Boston and acted as a bit if a Swiss army knife, and bottom 6 center depth is always good, especially with the disaster that is Dickinson still on the books.

So yeah, if he's cheap, go for it.

I still take Dickenson over Lazar if salary were the same. I rather get some depth player that has good offensive potential like Ilya Mikheyev or Copp amd trade pearson somehow. Lazar is basically what we have for 4th liners and some of our 4th liners seem better than Lazar already. Heck I would sign Motte again over Lazar if Motte wanted $1.5 million only.

58 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good question on the RFAs. Are they all getting re-signed?

Boeser          Yes

Lammikko     Probably

Highmore      Maybe

Lockwood      Yes

Rathbone       Yes

Brisebois         Hopefully not

DiPietro          Probably

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could Lazar be to this group what Malholtra was the the great Gillis created teams?  Maybe Lazar can fill a very important (and missing from this group) right shot, defensive minded C?

Could be a route to go down if Lazar could be had cheaply, and play him with Pearson as a real shut down unit. I worry Lazar isn't that great defensively, Tierney may be a bit better defensively. 

Copp, Paul, Janmark or Jarnkrok might be a bit too pricey but would give us a comfortable 15 goals, 40 points and a very neat versatile 3rd line which seems to be what you need nowadays. The 3rd checking line seems to be a thing of the past now, I think 3rd liners need to be able to skate and score these days. 

17 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I still take Dickenson over Lazar if salary were the same. I rather get some depth player that has good offensive potential like Ilya Mikheyev or Copp amd trade pearson somehow. Lazar is basically what we have for 4th liners and some of our 4th liners seem better than Lazar already. Heck I would sign Motte again over Lazar if Motte wanted $1.5 million only.

I don't think Lazar is going to command what Dickinson is getting, but even so, Lazar is a right handed shot, has a much better faceoff percentage than Dickinson, threw a ton of hits last year (180ish I believe), and was deployed almost exclusively in the Dzone. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

This is how Rick gets his news eh? Says the canucks are interested in a 6th liner waiver guy. Waits for him to hear that and get a response. Post that response as if it's actual canucks news. 

Kick rocks Rick lol

It's worse in UFC and boxing!  They ask the same questions over and over then write about how the fighter should stop talking about whatever their answer is.

• Haha 1

He sorta seems like a nice competent piece that can absorb some minutes, but is a master of nothing. There isn't really a bottom line to his game. Just sorta does everything at an average level. He sorta just blends into a lot of what Juho Lammikko and Matthew Highmore already do. 

We need more players with a bottom line to their game, Lazar is more competent in everything but a master of nothing.

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I think you can sign Lazar to a minimum deal and basically have him be the Nic Petan/Phillip De Giuseppe of this coming season. Let him bounce around between Abby and Vancouver next season.

The difference is that Lazar has the ability to not be completely useless.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

Former 17th overall pick, the kind of player the Canucks will be drafting soon, maybe. 

Lazar played great in his final season on the WHL, Ottawa drafted him and threw him straight into the lineup. He wasn't ready and struggled. Then he got traded to Calgary and struggled. Same with Buffalo and Boston. I'm not sure a change of scenery is what he needs, but he does seem to have the desire to play for his hometown team. Maybe JR sees this as a player who can reinvent himself, play with some pride, who could still develop further under Boudreau.    

• Like 1