The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Curtis Lazar interested in signing with Canucks

9 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Deslauriers will likely get paid $1m more than Lazar. Not sure if we want to spend that much on 4th liners. Agree that Deslauriers would be great tho

Well... I can't think of another affordable enforcer who can still play a bit... I really like Reaves but he's just too old now...

Lazar will only be redundant to Lockwood... so I'd much rather develop Lockwood to see if he's a long term NHLer!! 

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Well... I can't think of another affordable enforcer who can still play a bit... I really like Reaves but he's just too old now...

Lazar will only be redundant to Lockwood... so I'd much rather develop Lockwood to see if he's a long term NHLer!! 

Easy solution, no enforcer. Era of the goon ended. 
Need overall team toughness and hockey players that can play hockey not Hobos on skates. 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Easy solution, no enforcer. Era of the goon ended. 
Need overall team toughness and hockey players that can play hockey not Hobos on skates. 

I didn't ask for goons like a Brian McGrattan or Tom Sestito... but our team has been pushed around for years now... we need a big tough guy who can play and drop gloves if need be...  

5 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I didn't ask for goons like a Brian McGrattan or Tom Sestito... but our team has been pushed around for years now... we need a big tough guy who can play and drop gloves if need be...  

that may or may not help in the 7-10 minutes a night they play. 
‘We need a collection of players that stand up for themselves and their teammates, not a group of guys looking down the bench at somebody to stand up for them, that isn’t toughness that’s fostering the opposite. 
‘No more goons they cost more to the team than they benefit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

that may or may not help in the 7-10 minutes a night they play. 
‘We need a collection of players that stand up for themselves and their teammates, not a group of guys looking down the bench at somebody to stand up for them, that isn’t toughness that’s fostering the opposite. 
‘No more goons they cost more to the team than they benefit. 

Exactly!!! but right now all we got is Schenn to do that.. maybe Myers too.... Bo hardly ever stands up for his teammates when being bullied... 

Just now, RakuRaku said:

Exactly!!! but right now all we got is Schenn to do that.. maybe Myers too.... Bo hardly ever stands up for his teammates when being bullied... 

luckily we have one of the best PKs in the league if we are going to be running this team of tough guys that beats somebody up every time an opponent throws a hit or make a play. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's not the Canucks organization commenting, so I can't see how this would be tampering.

But okay, maybe the Canucks do take a chance on him, he'd be cheap. 

Garland - Horvat - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Pearson - Lazar - Hoglander

Highmore - Dickinson - Lockwood

Fix the D

utzTCyoh.png

On 6/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, JM_ said:

there's always injuries tho, nothing wrong with some cheapie depth. 

Shut up with your logic! Get on board the Meh Train! 

At 800k he's a good depth pick up. Had a good year last year in a 4th line role. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Is this a Tim Schaller version 2.0 ?

Yep exactly like Schaller....but just with more points, double the hits, is a right hander, actually wins faceoffs, and costs less than half...so almost the same

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Yep exactly like Schaller....but just with more points, double the hits, is a right hander, actually wins faceoffs, and costs less than half...so almost the same

If Schaller was a right handed centre making around $1.1 he would have been a good signing 

7 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Not sure why we would be interested... Even with a league minimum contract, we need guys in the bottom six that can play D and be physical, not sure he fits the bill

I'm starting to sound like Lazar's mother here...but playing physical and playing defensively is exactly what you would get with Lazar. But the thing is, that's about all you get, so he is only worth a less than $1m contract imo.

Lazar had 186 hits last season. That would make him easily the top hitter on the Canucks forwards (followed closely by Miller 172 and then Horvat 93 and Lammikko 90). Clearly we are not a physical team. Lazar definitely brings physicality. That would be the main reason to consider signing him.

He played a lot of defensive minutes last season. Av TOI 12 mins, oZS = 33%, FO = 49%, 51 blocked shots, 17 takeaways, 11 giveaways, +/- of just -2 which is not bad given the matchups and defensive starts. He can defend. So physicality and defense are the only reasons we would sign him.

I don't think he has potential to even be a 3rd line player. But as a cheap 4th liner/13th forward he is not a bad option. I really hope Allvin doesn't go and spend $2m+ each on other 4th line guys, when our group of bottom 4 forwards (the 4th line + 13th forward) should cost us less than $4m total.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I'm starting to sound like Lazar's mother here...but playing physical and playing defensively is exactly what you would get with Lazar. But the thing is, that's about all you get, so he is only worth a less than $1m contract imo.

Lazar had 186 hits last season. That would make him easily the top hitter on the Canucks forwards (followed closely by Miller 172 and then Horvat 93 and Lammikko 90). Clearly we are not a physical team. Lazar definitely brings physicality. That would be the main reason to consider signing him.

He played a lot of defensive minutes last season. Av TOI 12 mins, oZS = 33%, FO = 49%, 51 blocked shots, 17 takeaways, 11 giveaways, +/- of just -2 which is not bad given the matchups and defensive starts. He can defend. So physicality and defense are the only reasons we would sign him.

I don't think he has potential to even be a 3rd line player. But as a cheap 4th liner/13th forward he is not a bad option. I really hope Allvin doesn't go and spend $2m+ each on other 4th line guys, when our group of bottom 4 forwards (the 4th line + 13th forward) should cost us less than $4m total.

depends on how much they value the other 2 zones of the ice

18 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I stand corrected.... must be thinking of someone else, my apologies. Sounds good.

• Cheers 1

On 6/24/2022 at 6:20 PM, BigTramFan said:

The analytics like him too. Last season, Lazar had a 4.8 GAR and 6.9 xGAR, mostly driven by his even strength defence (with values of 3.5 GAR, 4.1 xGAR).

That’s equal to about 1 win above replacement, which generally values out at something around a $3 million per season player (not that I’d pay him that much, just where the analytics  would estimate the value of his on-ice contributions).

• Thanks 1