The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hate VGK, but it makes sense to deal with them...

9 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Since his big year for VGK he has had 59, 46, 39 and 35 points. That is a player on a rapid decline not a player having a bad year.  Goal scoring even worse from 43 down to 24,15, 14, 12. That is Player Name like decline. 

:lol:

Talk about fudging the numbers. You do realize the previous 2 years were shortened because of the pandemic, right? Adjusted for 82 games, his points were 60 and 57 - goals 20 and 21. He’s been remarkably consistent, including playoffs.

This season he was a bit down, but like almost everyone in Vegas, he was struggling with an injury. It was actually the first time in the last 7 seasons that he missed more than a single regular season game. So he’s actually very consistent health-wise too.

All that said, Roy has a lot more value to us due to his age, and (presumably) cheaper contract. And as much as Karlsson has been very good, his contract has some risk. But frankly I don’t see the value for Vancouver here. I think they’re much better off targeting youth with higher upside and potential ELC/cheap labour years ahead of them, than acquiring 3 middle-of-the-lineup players with contracts that are more-or-less fair market value.

Going after Roy is still a good idea, but should be a lot simpler to pull off given Vegas’s cap problems, and the seeming unwillingness of the other GMs to cut them any slack whatsoever.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Well then how do you suggest going about that?  We're still better off just burying Poolman in the minors if needed instead of handicapping the franchise for multiple seasons by retaining salary.

Are we though?  Retaining 500k versus is cheaper then putting him in the minors...that said at least we'd have the depth call up if needed.    Don't like retaining either.  

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Honestly I doubt teams in their own division will trade stars amongst each other and then end up playing them 6 times a year. It rarely happens and for good reason.

Yes this.   It's extremely rare - and the odd time it does happen, it's a cycle thing or special circumstances like it was with Kesler.    There is a decent chance Miller ends up in Vegas anyways if Vegas  anyways ... 7.5 there is like 9 here .... Patches goes and a minor tweak they can actually afford him lol.   But GMs don't get blamed for UFAs switching ships other then sometimes not trading when they can.    

Look at the Canucks trade history with long standing divisional rivals ..... EDM/CAL/LA and try and find a bigger deal then say Tanner Pearson.  Steve Staois maybe lol.    Kesler is the only one i can think of - and special because only two teams on his list and they were peaking while we were hanging on just barely and about to tank hard.   

Interesting idea but I don't think I am that interested in Karlsson. Feels like there is an easier trade to make with JT out there that will bring us back a great young prospect and a 1st (plus a little extra maybe). 

I like Roy, but Vegas is so cap strapped it is hard to trade with them. Maybe if they want Max Pacioretty out then a trade can be worked out around him (7 mill hit for 1 more year). 

Pac

Roy

1st

for

Miller (500k retained)

Vegas gives up a decent amount here, but Miller vs Pac, I'd say Miller is quite better overall and about 2 million cheaper for them (which is super important, so that costs them a 3rd liner and their next 1st round pick. 

For Van they give up the best player in the trade (by a decent amount) they get Pac for a not great cap hit, but only 1 year and he will bring some offense. Roy could be a great 3C for us and the 1st to help add a new prospect to the team. 

Might be too much for Vegas, but I think a lot of playoff teams would be interested in Miller so there should be a tough market for him. 

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

:p hey we help them with their cap and give em a ppg for 2.8M 

For ONE season.   It's a pipe dream.    Vegas ... we won't trade Miller to anyone in our own division (aside from minor things - Kesler is the outlier and that had to do with cycles and that well two teams ... took the best deal available)...Nobody.   COL maybe.   Historically you just don't trade within your own division with a major swap...aside from that it's entirely possible that Miller lands there as a UFA.   Sucks. 

Id take this deal every time BTW.   Most likely Miller is going to the Eastern Confernce - same with Boeser and Horvat if we go this route. 

Edited by IBatch

On 6/22/2022 at 11:00 PM, HKSR said:

Going about what?  Moving Myers?  Apparently there's a market for 6'8" top 4 RHD with a mean streak... go figure.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/06/07/the-trade-market-for-canucks-d-tyler-myers-might-be-14-teams-bigger-than-we-thought/

Its only in vcr folks complain about lack of beaf and toughness and at the same time want to get rid of a giraffe with a mean streak...

Although with puck moving d-men it now makes sense.... but not at any costs..

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Its only in vcr folks complain about lack of beaf and toughness and at the same time want to get rid of a giraffe with a mean streak...

Although with puck moving d-men it now makes sense.... but not at any costs..

And there's people that complain about him not having a mean streak..  it's like they expect him to punch every player on the ice on every shift before they consider him to have a mean streak.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And there's people that complain about him not having a mean streak..  it's like they expect him to punch every player on the ice on every shift before they consider him to have a mean streak.

That's ridiculous. A year ago he was the toughest on the team not named Schenn... and it wasn't even close. 
The refs kept sending him to the box for being too big and 'mean'....

• Cheers 1