The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dubois Will Not Re-sign as RFA, Will Enter Market as UFA in 2024

Lol... I put this out there a couple months ago...

JT Miller to WPG

PLD to VAN

WPG is much further along and basically in their prime winning years NOW.  JTM could really help push them to that next level.

PLD is basically a JTM in the making.  He'll probably be a solid PPG centre once he hits his prime years.  Age is perfect for this group.

Both parties should be able to negotiate extensions beforehand, and boom, no step back whatsoever, and much better situated for the future right down the middle of the ice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

JT Miller to WPG

PLD to VAN

WPG is much further along and basically in their prime winning years NOW.  JTM could really help push them to that next level.

PLD is basically a JTM in the making.  He'll probably be a solid PPG centre once he hits his prime years.  Age is perfect for this group.

Both parties should be able to negotiate extensions beforehand, and boom, no step back whatsoever, and much better situated for the future right down the middle of the ice.

Winnipeg is more likely to rebuild.  They have plenty of upcoming UFAs in 2-3 years.  Scheifele already wondered about his future and is 2 years to UFA so is Hellebuyck.  Doubt they can keep them. 

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

JT Miller to WPG

PLD to VAN

This would be great for us.  Can't see Miller extending in The Pig though.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Winnipeg is more likely to rebuild.  They have plenty of upcoming UFAs in 2-3 years.  Scheifele already wondered about his future and is 2 years to UFA so is Hellebuyck.  Doubt they can keep them. 

How willing would WPG be to trade Pionk now? I wonder what the cost would be... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Love to get Scheifele.  

Just now, Alflives said:

The Oinkster would be ideal here.  Garland for the Oinker?  

steal for us if they want to do that. In a literal heartbeat. 

Hughes-Pionk would be a legit top pair. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

steal for us if they want to do that. In a literal heartbeat. 

Hughes-Pionk would be a legit top pair. 

The Jets have trouble keeping (attracting) star players.  So Garland having 4 more years at a good cap and right through his prime should interest them.  IMHAO Garland's contract would interest all the teams that struggle to attract UFAs and need to overpay to keep their high end RFA's.  What's the list of those teams?

Winnipeg

Ottawa

Buffalo

Columbus

?

Which of those teams would be in their cycle of trying to be a winner now?  I can see Garland to any of those clubs.  

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

How willing would WPG be to trade Pionk now? I wonder what the cost would be... 

They still hope to extend Dubois long term - but that seems unlikely and they will then have to decide on their direction. 

It just feels like they have a culture issue - the end of season pressers was not a team working together.  They just have several players close to UFA and it's hard to see how they can patch things up.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love to get Scheifele.  

Doesn't sound like a team player after his comments at the end of the season and Stastny pretty much going after him for being only focused on himself vs the team. 

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, mll said:

What team doesn't have several UFAs coming up in 2 to 3 years? lol

I mean, things can be different now, but the last normal season that occurred (ie. not impacted by covid), the Jets were a top 10 team in the league.  This year could be the real Jets, or it could be a down year as Hellebuyck underperformed, and Scheifele, Wheeler, and Ehlers all missed significant time with injuries.

Morrissey has 6 years left

Connor has 4 years left

Ehlers has 3 years left

Lowry has 4 years left

Schmidt has 3 years left

Pionk has 3 years left

All of their main core guys are in their late 20s.  Right in their prime years.

They've also got all of these guys pushing up from the bottom:

Stanley

Perfetti

Lucius

Heinola

Chibrikov

Samberg

Vesalainen

Salminen

I'd say they may retool a little bit seeing that it may be time to move PLD. 

Connor and Ehlers are just starting to really hit their prime.  It'd be a terrible time to blow it up.  Adding a JT Miller in his prime could be a huge difference maker for them.

Edited by HKSR
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Trade Miller, Boeser, Garland for futures and then parlay some of those returns into a trade for Dubois with an extension in place?

When can PLD sign an extension - July 1, 2023 right?  Getting him now would put us in the same spot the Jets are in.

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's the going rate for a 1C...

He's a 1st line centre now?

61 point career high (so far), 47% FO% more giveaways than blocked shots takeaways and still trying to find himself.

Not sure I'd give the guy $8 million, but by those metrics wow did we ever do good because we have 3 1st line centres on the team in Horvat Miller and Pettersson

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When can PLD sign an extension - July 1, 2023 right?  Getting him now would put us in the same spot the Jets are in.

Once he gets a taste of Vancouver life after living in Winnipeg that should be enough to convince him to sign a decent extension I would think. 

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's a 1st line centre now?

61 point career high (so far), 47% FO% more giveaways than blocked shots takeaways and still trying to find himself.

Not sure I'd give the guy $8 million, but by those metrics wow did we ever do good because we have 3 1st line centres on the team in Horvat Miller and Pettersson

I agree. I wouldn’t like him as a center and he isn’t a better center than Pettersson, Miller, Horvat (also taking Pearson, Miller, Boeser, Garland trades into consideration) but imagine him rolling on Petey’s LW since that’s his secondary position:

Dubois - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Kuzmenko - Horvat - xxxx

Höglander - xxxx - xxxx

Few holes to fill yet but I absolutely love the looks of that top line.