The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dubois Will Not Re-sign as RFA, Will Enter Market as UFA in 2024

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When can PLD sign an extension - July 1, 2023 right?  Getting him now would put us in the same spot the Jets are in.

He's an RFA this summer with arbitration rights and is 2 years to UFA.  He's telling Winnipeg that he's not giving up his UFA years to them.  He needs a new deal though and maybe he would sign long term with another team.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's a 1st line centre now?

61 point career high (so far), 47% FO% more giveaways than blocked shots takeaways and still trying to find himself.

Not sure I'd give the guy $8 million, but by those metrics wow did we ever do good because we have 3 1st line centres on the team in Horvat Miller and Pettersson

Agreed.

We need Miller, Petey and Bo more so than this guy. The numbers do not make sense for us to chase after him.

Edited by grandmaster

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's a 1st line centre now?

61 point career high (so far), 47% FO% more giveaways than blocked shots takeaways and still trying to find himself.

Not sure I'd give the guy $8 million, but by those metrics wow did we ever do good because we have 3 1st line centres on the team in Horvat Miller and Pettersson

PLD had 61 points as a 20 year old.  At 24 he has yet to reach his peak.  He is a better player than Horvat, and in the right situation he could be a 70-80 point player, which puts him at the $8 million level as a power forward.

You will be paying for PLD's future potential, he is not like a 29 year old Miller coming off a career year.  He is more similar to Jack Hughes, who got an 8x8 contract after a 31 point season.

PLD could play wing with Petey or play centre with Petey on the wing.  He would effectively be Miller's direct replacement.

PLD             Pettersson    Boeser

Kuzmenko   Horvat          Podkolzin

Our top 6 is set for the next 7 years.  Problem is we'd have to give up Petey or something similar to actually get PLD.  So we don't really have the assets to acquire him unless we give up a core player.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PLD had 61 points as a 20 year old.  At 24 he has yet to reach his peak.  He is a better player than Horvat, and in the right situation he could be a 70-80 point player, which puts him at the $8 million level as a power forward.

You will be paying for PLD's future potential, he is not like a 29 year old Miller coming off a career year.  He is more similar to Jack Hughes, who got an 8x8 contract after a 31 point season.

PLD could play wing with Petey or play centre with Petey on the wing.  He would effectively be Miller's direct replacement.

Our top 6 is set for the next 7 years.  Problem is we'd have to give up Petey or something similar to actually get PLD.  So we don't really have the assets to acquire him unless we give up a core player.

PLD is a full year away from even negotiating his next contract.  There is just no way we are trading for him now in hopes he will extend summer 2023.  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We would be paying what he is worth not what he WILL be worth.

The issue comes down to him not being as good as Horvat yet.  His point totals and face off percentages are not there.  Added he is apparently at issue of re-signing anywhere other than where he wants to be.

$8x8 is scary for so many reasons.  but as a winger I'd give him $6.75 over 3 years and hope for the best

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Agreed.

We need Miller, Petey and Bo more so than this guy. The numbers do not make sense for us to chase after him.

Well you can pay a 24 year old PLD 8x8 or you can pay a 30 year old Miller 8x8.  Which do you prefer and which one is better for the long term success in Vancouver?

3 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

It feels eerily like the same situation here - disgruntled, young, skilled, potential 1C player who has shown flashes of being great. Maybe Montreal bites again?

For PLD yes they would 

Just now, Alflives said:

PLD is a full year away from even negotiating his next contract.  There is just no way we are trading for him now in hopes he will extend summer 2023.  

He has to sign a new deal this summer.  He's RFA.  He doesn't want to sign long term with Winnipeg but not sure it means he wouldn't with another team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

He has to sign a new deal this summer.  He's RFA.  He doesn't want to sign long term with Winnipeg but not sure it means he wouldn't with another team.

Exactly.  With the right team he may sign an 8x8 extension.  He is obviously looking to get traded this summer, his hint that he wants to go to UFA status is a sign to Winnipeg that he wants out.  If Winnipeg can't sign him for more than 2 years then they need to trade him...

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well you can pay a 24 year old PLD 8x8 or you can pay a 30 year old Miller 8x8.  Which do you prefer and which one is better for the long term success in Vancouver?

I’d go with PLD.  Cuz it falls in line with the young core age group.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We would be paying what he is worth not what he WILL be worth.

The issue comes down to him not being as good as Horvat yet.  His point totals and face off percentages are not there.  Added he is apparently at issue of re-signing anywhere other than where he wants to be.

$8x8 is scary for so many reasons.  but as a winger I'd give him $6.75 over 3 years and hope for the best

At 24 he hasn't reached his peak yet, so if he agrees to sign a long term extension then teams will be paying for his future value as well as his present value.  If a team wants to sign him to a short term contract then PLD would be more than happy to become a UFA at age 26 and get his payday.  He WILL get an 8x8 in that situation unless his play falls off a cliff in the next 2 years.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller is better now. The long term is not certain. Logic would say Miller neon Ed less impactful the older he gets but we really don’t know by how much.

for the record, i wouldn't trade for him unless it involved a swap out of RFA's like a Boeser and a pick. it would then free up trading away JTM (which i also don't like but am not sold on paying him for term at his age).

i'd agree PLD is not a 1st line centre just yet, but he's very close, and it seems a lot of fans outside of Winnipeg crap on him, but if anyone actually watches him play, he's a very solid, well-rounded player who was arguably within their top 3 F amongst Connor and Ehlers (in no particular order) this past season.

guy has the makings of being a superstar, is defensively very reliable, draws a lot of penalties, is a big body who can skate. he's a younger, higher ceiling version of what we hoped Horvat will become.

again, would not trade for him if it hurt us, but as a UFA i would be chasing him down. doubt he'd want to play here though. and also, doubt we could compete with the offers he will receive. could be best to look elsewhere, but imho PLD is somewhat underrated on this board.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, RWJC said:

for the record, i wouldn't trade for him unless it involved a swap out of RFA's like a Boeser and a pick. it would then free up trading away JTM (which i also don't like but am not sold on paying him for term at his age).

i'd agree PLD is not a 1st line centre just yet, but he's very close, and it seems a lot of fans outside of Winnipeg crap on him, but if anyone actually watches him play, he's a very solid, well-rounded player who was arguably within their top 3 F amongst Connor and Ehlers (in no particular order) this past season.

guy has the makings of being a superstar, is defensively very reliable, draws a lot of penalties, is a big body who can skate. he's a younger, higher ceiling version of what we hoped Horvat will become.

again, would not trade for him if it hurt us, but as a UFA i would be chasing him down. doubt he'd want to play here though. and also, doubt we could compete with the offers he will receive. could be best to look elsewhere, but imho PLD is somewhat underrated on this board.

As much as I like Boeser, I’d do that trade 100%.

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

As much as I like Boeser, I’d do that trade 100%.

I would too, but I think WPG needs centres.  They've lost Copp, and losing Dubois as well, they would definitely need a centre.