The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dubois Will Not Re-sign as RFA, Will Enter Market as UFA in 2024

On 6/25/2022 at 7:12 AM, IBatch said:

OJ was mid teens all the way to the start of the second round before the WJs, exactly where he should have been picked ... a few had OJ as high as 6, but not everyone bought it - a loaded FIN team boosted his stats, but a loaded London team, absolutely loaded, and his scoring was modest at best.    The following year Bouchard out scored him lol (draft plus one)...sure he wasn't drafted to be a offensive guy but wow was that ever a whiff.    The fact we passed on a guy who just scored a goal per game during the playoffs and was 1-3 pick prior to the worlds and then after his playoff performance went right back to 2-4 was ridiculous.    Sure we love to hate him (and i hated his Dad), but he just scored 100 point in this league and was a plus 45-50 or something.   Haven't seen that since Mario and Gretzky's era (forwards that dominating on both sides of the puck).    Was the draft that absolutely pissed me off.    Wanted PLD and it was obvious JB did too.    Didn't even consider MT because didn't think he'd slip to us.   When he did it was for sure an upgrade and was over the moon!!!! No way we just got our top 2-3 pick (we were supposed to draft 3rd i think that year, dumb lottery) .... then OJ?   Nobody on the CDC was keen on him or hoping to get him prior...and ISS plus THN had him at 9-11 ... both their rankings come from a consensus of scouts not a hockey personality like McKenzie and Button.    Of those two Button at least had the credentials, but he's not spending his days scouting anymore either.    

Edit: BTW ISS was correct... had Chychrun at 8 and Sergachev at 10...they usually do an excellent job...why?  Because that's their only purpose.   Don't get why some people take so much stock on what individual hockey personalities think - aside from Button maybe.    THN writers also make their writes lists (Kennedy, Larkin and others also put out their own)  but it's their Future Watch which matters - that one isn't their list, but a consensus of 10 NHL scouts, it also does a good job.    IF JB didn't whiff on OJ this team would be in an entirely different position, likely no Miller for one, likely no Myers either  - that part would suck, BUT who else would we have instead?  Zegras?  Boldy?   Hmmm.   JB was under a ton of pressure from the ownership AND a large portion of this fanbase ... whenever i read "8 long years" blah blah blah - i shake my head.   What we needed to do, was tank for five of them.    Couldn't really properly do that.    3 down years just isn't enough these days.   As in top five picks.    And he only had two 5ths, a 6th, a 7th and a 10th.    That simply isn't enough.   Didn't help that he couldn't hit on anyone past the second round either.   Edler is the last hit.   Guys almost retired.   That hurt this club a lot. 

Edited by Me_

On 6/22/2022 at 9:29 PM, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I think Winnipeg will ask for Nick Suzuki in return for PLD. Not sure what Montreal will say to that.

Montreal says no.  Gets another high pick next year then signs PLD as a UFA the following summer.  

On 6/25/2022 at 4:12 AM, IBatch said:

OJ was mid teens all the way to the start of the second round before the WJs, exactly where he should have been picked ... a few had OJ as high as 6, but not everyone bought it - a loaded FIN team boosted his stats, but a loaded London team, absolutely loaded, and his scoring was modest at best.    The following year Bouchard out scored him lol (draft plus one)...sure he wasn't drafted to be a offensive guy but wow was that ever a whiff.    The fact we passed on a guy who just scored a goal per game during the playoffs and was 1-3 pick prior to the worlds and then after his playoff performance went right back to 2-4 was ridiculous.    Sure we love to hate him (and i hated his Dad), but he just scored 100 point in this league and was a plus 45-50 or something.   Haven't seen that since Mario and Gretzky's era (forwards that dominating on both sides of the puck).    Was the draft that absolutely pissed me off.    Wanted PLD and it was obvious JB did too.    Didn't even consider MT because didn't think he'd slip to us.   When he did it was for sure an upgrade and was over the moon!!!! No way we just got our top 2-3 pick (we were supposed to draft 3rd i think that year, dumb lottery) .... then OJ?   Nobody on the CDC was keen on him or hoping to get him prior...and ISS plus THN had him at 9-11 ... both their rankings come from a consensus of scouts not a hockey personality like McKenzie and Button.    Of those two Button at least had the credentials, but he's not spending his days scouting anymore either.    

Edit: BTW ISS was correct... had Chychrun at 8 and Sergachev at 10...they usually do an excellent job...why?  Because that's their only purpose.   Don't get why some people take so much stock on what individual hockey personalities think - aside from Button maybe.    THN writers also make their writes lists (Kennedy, Larkin and others also put out their own)  but it's their Future Watch which matters - that one isn't their list, but a consensus of 10 NHL scouts, it also does a good job.    IF JB didn't whiff on OJ this team would be in an entirely different position, likely no Miller for one, likely no Myers either  - that part would suck, BUT who else would we have instead?  Zegras?  Boldy?   Hmmm.   JB was under a ton of pressure from the ownership AND a large portion of this fanbase ... whenever i read "8 long years" blah blah blah - i shake my head.   What we needed to do, was tank for five of them.    Couldn't really properly do that.    3 down years just isn't enough these days.   As in top five picks.    And he only had two 5ths, a 6th, a 7th and a 10th.    That simply isn't enough.   Didn't help that he couldn't hit on anyone past the second round either.   Edler is the last hit.   Guys almost retired.   That hurt this club a lot. 

Pully in Edmonton was on that team as well wasn't he? 

If PLD was a righty center I'd say that is be in the market to trade Miller and Garland to get assets to expend on that kind of trade

Perhaps it'd be more prudent to use those assets to draft a RH center down the road.

For the center depth I think I'm in on signing Malkin for two years also not a center but as a UFA doesn't cost us anything but cap space

Potentially able to trade with retention in year two as well.

I wonder if there's a trade revolving Horvat and PLD to get us a bit younger. PLD is pretty bad at faceoffs, you could argue Bo is one of the best in the league and Horvat's much better defensively and on the PK, but PLD at 24yrs old would fit with Petey and Hughes a bit better going forward.

Is there a trade straight up 1-for-1 there? Do Winnipeg have to add say a 2nd or 3rd round pick? 

Personally I'd stick with Bo but it would make for an interesting trade...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NHL Rumours reporting Dubois expected to be moved to Montreal at the draft.  Willing to sign long term in Montreal 

Almost feel bad for the jets

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-john-klingberg-pierre-luc-dubois-blackhawks-and-rangers/2022/07/17/

Martin Leclerc reported on the ‘Tellement Hockey Podcast’ that Pierre-Luc Dubois was at the draft in Monday with his family and was convinced the Winnipeg Jets trade would him to the Montreal Canadiens. The Canadiens offered three players to the Jets.

He’s already said that he wants to sign a long-term contract with the Canadiens.

Patrick Lortie: Maxime Truman and Dans Les Coulisses noted they weren’t sure if trade talks were still ongoing.

They were unsure if the 13th overall pick in the 2022 draft was involved, which was moved eventually to the Chicago Blackhawks for Kirby Dach.

Dubois is looking to play for the Canadiens sooner than later.

• Thanks 2

On 6/30/2022 at 1:18 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder if there's a trade revolving Horvat and PLD to get us a bit younger. PLD is pretty bad at faceoffs, you could argue Bo is one of the best in the league and Horvat's much better defensively and on the PK, but PLD at 24yrs old would fit with Petey and Hughes a bit better going forward.

Is there a trade straight up 1-for-1 there? Do Winnipeg have to add say a 2nd or 3rd round pick? 

puke GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/30/2022 at 1:18 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

There is, but it would be a stupid move on our part.

lol PLD basically sabaotage his trade value for the jets as any team that wants him knows he 100% won't re-sign with them... if i'm the jets.. i offer him his qualifying offer sit his ass in the press box for the next 2 years to tank his development and screw his next contract lol.. or he can go kick rock in europe till he hits UFA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol PLD basically sabaotage his trade value for the jets as any team that wants him knows he 100% won't re-sign with them... if i'm the jets.. i offer him his qualifying offer sit his ass in the press box for the next 2 years to tank his development and screw his next contract lol.. or he can go kick rock in europe till he hits UFA

Winnipeg jets. Meet the NHLPA. 

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

NHL Rumours reporting Dubois expected to be moved to Montreal at the draft.  Willing to sign long term in Montreal 

Almost feel bad for the jets

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-john-klingberg-pierre-luc-dubois-blackhawks-and-rangers/2022/07/17/

Martin Leclerc reported on the ‘Tellement Hockey Podcast’ that Pierre-Luc Dubois was at the draft in Monday with his family and was convinced the Winnipeg Jets trade would him to the Montreal Canadiens. The Canadiens offered three players to the Jets.

He’s already said that he wants to sign a long-term contract with the Canadiens.

Patrick Lortie: Maxime Truman and Dans Les Coulisses noted they weren’t sure if trade talks were still ongoing.

They were unsure if the 13th overall pick in the 2022 draft was involved, which was moved eventually to the Chicago Blackhawks for Kirby Dach.

Dubois is looking to play for the Canadiens sooner than later.

Well, the Canadiens don’t have to trade for him. They can just wait until he decides to sign with them. I do feel bad for Winnipeg. Small market team, and it doesn’t feel like anyone wants to play for them. What’s going on there? 

9 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Imagine the Habs don't want him lol

What a bruise to his ego that would be. With that being said, they’d want him. He’s a good player, and he’s young. In a Montréal jersey, he could become a great player.