The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Free Agency Predictions + Canucks (Discussion)

Who signs where? Your thoughts and opinions! 

Vancouver Predictions - Miller, Dickinson and traded to Jersey for #2, M.Wood, #34 

Myers traded for a 3rd round pick (team unknown)

- If Forsberg doesn't sign with LA - Garland to Kings for Matt Roy, Turcotte and 2nd rounder 

Lazar to VAN pretty much going to happen. 

Malkin - 2 years 8 million per 

Slafkovsky - Pete - Boeser 

Kuzmenko - Malkin - Podz 

Pearson - Bo - Hogs 

Wood - Lammikko - Lazar/Lockwood

Hughes - Schenn 

OEL - Roy 

Dermott - Poolman? 

Rathbone 

Demko

Martin

- Kadri - Boston or Columbus

- Gaudreau - Philly 

- Malkin - Vancouver or Washington

- Forsberg - Detroit, Kings

- Letang - Pens

- Giroux - Panthers 

- Klingberg - Dallas, Columbus or Seattle

- Trocheck - Colorado 

- Fiala - Islanders or Sabres 

- Copp - Rangers 

What I'd like to happen:

1) Trade one of our forwards for a top RD, in this order:

- Miller to NYR for Schneider + 1st +/- player (Chytil?)

- Garland for Marino (or a similar 1-for-1 swap)

2) Sign a UFA 3C in this order:

- Tierney > Copp (because will be too expensive) > Janmark > Jarnkrok

3) Cap-dump Dickinson and Poolman to a bottom-feeder

What I think will happen:

1) Lazar signs and ends up being our 3C, a minor upgrade on Dickinson - good size, average defensively, limited offensive ability

2) We re-sign everyone, unlikely any upgrades on D so end up signing someone like Lybushkin at the last minute

Sadly those big forward-for-defencemen trades are tough to make. A Miller deal is almost impossible with so many moving pieces. A 1-for-1 young forward for defenceman happens a bit more frequently though.

As much as the fans want a young, solid defensive RD to play with Hughes, we do have some options with Schenn, Dermott, Myers and co. on the roster. What I think we're really lacking is a proper 3C because right now it's an empty hole, and our answers are a very old Richardson (please no),  Dickinson (who was dreadful), Sutter who hasn't played in a year, Dowling (who's under contract...) and Lammikko who really should be a staple on the 4th line.

Right now it is about leaving options open and gathering info. 
What do JTM, Bo and Brock want in extensions and what can we get for them if we trade one. 
If we can get them all under team favourable deals, I see this as more of a trade Garland, tinker around with right side of D and that’s about it. 
‘If one of these players requests just isn’t going to work for the club, that player goes.  If two or three of them are way out of whack then big old rebuild here we come. 

28 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Right now it is about leaving options open and gathering info. 
What do JTM, Bo and Brock want in extensions and what can we get for them if we trade one. 
If we can get them all under team favourable deals, I see this as more of a trade Garland, tinker around with right side of D and that’s about it. 
‘If one of these players requests just isn’t going to work for the club, that player goes.  If two or three of them are way out of whack then big old rebuild here we come. 

Exactly, though I think Bo will be the easiest to re-sign and most flexible. Brock should be a breeze as well considering that he likes playing here and had a bad year last season so doesn't have much leveragem

Who knows how the Miller talks will go, I think term will really make this management group a bit nervous, I'd be keen to get his contract to end before he's 34 in all fairness otherwise it'll be a massive cap hit against our team when we're trying to contend.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What I'd like to happen:

1) Trade one of our forwards for a top RD, in this order:

- Miller to NYR for Schneider + 1st +/- player (Chytil?)

- Garland for Marino (or a similar 1-for-1 swap)

2) Sign a UFA 3C in this order:

- Tierney > Copp (because will be too expensive) > Janmark > Jarnkrok

3) Cap-dump Dickinson and Poolman to a bottom-feeder

What I think will happen:

1) Lazar signs and ends up being our 3C, a minor upgrade on Dickinson - good size, average defensively, limited offensive ability

2) We re-sign everyone, unlikely any upgrades on D so end up signing someone like Lybushkin at the last minute

Sadly those big forward-for-defencemen trades are tough to make. A Miller deal is almost impossible with so many moving pieces. A 1-for-1 young forward for defenceman happens a bit more frequently though.

As much as the fans want a young, solid defensive RD to play with Hughes, we do have some options with Schenn, Dermott, Myers and co. on the roster. What I think we're really lacking is a proper 3C because right now it's an empty hole, and our answers are a very old Richardson (please no),  Dickinson (who was dreadful), Sutter who hasn't played in a year, Dowling (who's under contract...) and Lammikko who really should be a staple on the 4th line.

If we were to trade Miller, I would love either the Jersey option I gave or acquiring a package including Schneider. Although I think it's plausible, Drury seems to think he can lowball offer. 

Not so sure about Lazar being our 3C, see him more as an effective 4th liner on a good team. 

Tierney could be a good option. If we decide to go the 3C route, hope Nic Roy is high on our list. 

Garland for Marino. I like Marino, but I think I'd be a little underwhelmed about a 1 for 1. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So hard to say unless we clear a lot of cap space, but my feeling is IF we can move Myers, Pearson and Dickie Allvin tries for Klingberg. 

He is 29, so I'm not sure. He is a better dman than Myers, but with the contract he's looking for, is it worth it? 

Just now, KKnight said:

He is 29, so I'm not sure. He is a better dman than Myers, but with the contract he's looking for, is it worth it? 

Depends on a Miller extension, if thats happening then yes it would fit that window.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Depends on a Miller extension, if thats happening then yes it would fit that window.

Agreed. That's saying we opened up some cap space, with a combination of Garland, Dickinson, Myers or Pearson being moved. 

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

Agreed. That's saying we opened up some cap space, with a combination of Garland, Dickinson, Myers or Pearson being moved. 

If we moved Myers and Pearson that would allow us to go after a few choices in UFAs. Maybe its Manson and Lyubushkin? we could basically replace Myers and Pearson with the guys and I think we'd be a lot better off on the d mix.

Klingberg might be too pricey on his own, its hard to know what the market will really be for him but if we have the cap space we can make some pretty nice improvements. 

58 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Don't want to sign another D man 29 yrs old for big salary. Klingberg will demand at least 6 yrs X 8 million..Big no to trading for Klingberg..

well first off lets see what we currently got:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Dickinson Hoglander

Highmore Lammiko _________

Lockwood

Hughes Myers

OEL Schenn

Rathbone Dermott

_______

Demko

Martin

Prediction is that Miller,Pearson, Dickinson, Hoglander and Myers are traded:

______ Pettersson Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Podkolzin

________ ________ _______

Highmore Lammiko ________

Lockwood 

Hughes ______

OEL Shenn

Rathbone Dermott 

________

Demko 

Martin

1LW signing - I think there are three options here 1- Max Domi, 2- Palat, 3- Ilya MIkheyev . I think We will actually get Domi and push Kuzmenko to 1st line to have Domi and Horvat reunite.

3LW signing- I think Vancouver is going to sign  Evan Rodrigues as we were connected to him at the deadline and both Allvin and Rutherford know this player well.

3 C trade- I think Connor McMichael is going to part of a deal with WSH. Perfect fit in the 3rd line and has the potential to move into a top 6 role in the future. Great player.

3 RW signing- Not much out there Honestly I think that they might target an underrated guy like Nino Niederreiter. Guy is a big body who can skate. Puts up about 40 points but is also a good PPG player which we could use some help on the second unit PP. 

4RW signing- Curtis Lazar We are linked to him and he wants to come here.

1D signing- I think the Canucks should take a chance on PK Subban. I heard he wants to come back to Canada and I think we would be his best option. I think he would get pushed down with OEL and Hughes and Schenn could play together because of their chemistry. 

7D signing- I think Vancouver could use some size and leadership so maybe sign Ian Cole and have Dermott move down to 7th D. It is important to have good depth at D. Also i believe he plays both LD and RD 

So new look:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Boeser

Domi Horvat Podkolzin

Rodrigues McMichael Niederreiter

Highmore Lammiko Lazar 

Lockwood 

Hughes Schenn

Oel Subban

Rathbone Cole

Dermott  

Demko

Martin 

I think we're looking at a much less sexy offseason than some folk are expecting.

Miller resigned at 8x5 or 8x6

Boeser resigned at 6.5x4

Garland (+?) traded for Marino (+Kapanen?)

Pearson and Myers moved for mid rd picks

Lazar signed

Lyubushkin signed

Poolman and Dickie dumped

Petey- Miller- Boeser

Kuz- Horvat- Podz

Hogz- Lazar- Karlsson (or Kapanen?)

Lockwood- Lammiko- Highmore

Hughes- Marino

OEL- Lyubushkin

Dermott- Schenn

Demko

Martin

Either Garland/ Boeser for Marino-type RHD ((1) below denotes the spot the non-traded player takes)

Myers for 3rd rounder with some team (e.g. Dallas if Klingberg walks), with no retention

Trade Poolman for minimal return, or keep and bury in minors

Miller to one of BOS/ PHI/ WSH/ NYR/ NJD/ CBJ for 1st, top prospect and roster player fitting positional need (replacement top-6 fwd) (2)

Trade low picks to Vegas for rights to Roy and Hague (RFA) => Vegas is cap-strapped, these two should be ripe for the taking
Trade Rathbone (RFA) to Carolina for Bear (RFA)

(2)/ _________ - Petey - (1) 
Pearson- Horvat - Kuzmenko?

Dickinson - Roy - Hoglander?

Highmore - Lammikko - _____

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Marino

Hague - Bear (big defensive LHD and smaller but mobile two-way RHD)

Overall, we lose some skill at the top (inevitable with Miller trade) but with the other moves we balance out and re-shape the D-core, repurpose Dickinson as Roy's defensive partner on a shutdown line and just need another top-6 talent to fill out (presuming Kuz performs well and Hoglander returns to form).

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly, though I think Bo will be the easiest to re-sign and most flexible. Brock should be a breeze as well considering that he likes playing here and had a bad year last season so doesn't have much leveragem

Who knows how the Miller talks will go, I think term will really make this management group a bit nervous, I'd be keen to get his contract to end before he's 34 in all fairness otherwise it'll be a massive cap hit against our team when we're trying to contend.

Good idea, and a handshake agreement to extend Miller at age 33  if all is going well.

Edited by Hairy Kneel