The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former NHLer Riley Cote advocating psilocybin as a treatment for post-concussion symptoms... and there's growing evidence it WORKS

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Undrafted said:

I'm not so sure about that, simply because when I was young (many, many years ago <_<), I'd used psilocybin mushrooms recreationally numerous times and the only adverse effects I recall was a little nausea to start.  And the same can be said about all the people who consumed them with me.  That said, it's a fair criticism to say that's merely anecdotal.

By the same token, when I was in my mid-30s, I was misdiagnosed by a doctor and put on anti-depressants and shortly after, they had to wean me off of them because I experienced many of the side effects the drug's abstract listed.  Needless to say, I did not want anything to do with those types of drugs ever again.

Absolutely, antidepressants should be taken seriously and can have significant adverse effects. Just promoting the same scientific rigour should be used to determine adverse events and objective benefits for psilocybin. This isn’t about recreational use, it is about therapeutic use and to promote that the same sort of standards and monitoring should be observed. 
We should have a much broader approach  to recreational drugs and be open to the idea that many may have potential therapeutic benefits. I mean they are usually recreational because they are neuroactive and hit many of the same receptors as antidepressants. Same reason they are so often linked to religious ceremonies they create a sense of euphoria. On a scale of 1-10 are you happier in normal life or in a chemically induced euphoria. Now, can you use it in a way without the negative neurocpgnitive effects is a more interesting question. 

• Cheers 1