The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Vegas extension with Reilly Smith

11 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

As per Frank Seravalli

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1539979060704677889?s=20&t=14PIA9_i3e-g6Qb1GLKiLA

Verbal agreement in place. May not be announced immediately. Seems they will be having to move others that many here have their eyes on!

Who is the next Schmidt, Dadanov.  Someone is on the outs.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who is the next Schmidt, Dadanov.  Someone is on the outs.

My guess is they’ll be looking to move at least 2 of: Karlsson, Marchessault, Martinez, and Broissant.

They’ll also have to choose between keeping Roy or Hague, and deal the other. (Probably will depend on which veterans they trade. If they move Martinez, probably keep Hague.)

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would Vegas be interested in the Ferland contract, even though it's not insured?

It would make their cap situation even more complicated.  Teams try and avoid LTIR.  Vegas likely hoping to off-load Weber at some point but it was the cost to pay to clear the 5M of Dadonov's contract - other teams knew they were looking to move him and the cost would have otherwise been too high.

Maybe as part of a cap dump like they just did to move Dadonov, but not sure why Vancouver would do that.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mll said:

It would make their cap situation even more complicated.  Teams try and avoid LTIR.  Vegas likely hoping to off-load Weber at some point but it was the cost to pay to clear the 5M of Dadonov's contract - other teams knew they were looking to move him and the cost would have otherwise been too high.

Maybe as part of a cap dump like they just did to move Dadonov, but not sure why Vancouver would do that.  

That trade still doesn't make sense to me based on what you've always said about LTIR contracts not being a good thing.

I see it that they added a contract over $7M+ AAV in Weber to dump a $5M contract in Dadonov.  How did that help them whatsoever?

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That trade still doesn't make sense to me based on what you've always said about LTIR contracts not being a good thing.

I see it that they added a contract over $7M+ AAV in Weber to dump a $5M contract in Dadonov.  How did that help them whatsoever?

They cleared 5M in cap space by moving the Dadonov contract but now they have to operate in LTIR with all the limitations it brings.  Ideally they would have moved Dadonov without taking back Weber but the cost was probably far too high.

Before the Weber trade they had a cap hit of 82.3M so only 200K under the cap.  Dadonov has a 5M contract.  They moved out Dadonov and took back Weber's 7.9M.  So they now have a cap of 85.2M (82.3 - 5 + 7.9) and are 2.7M above the 82.5M cap - as shown now on CapFriendly.

85.2M - Weber's 7.9M is 77.3M which is 5M below the 82.3M they were at before moving Dadonov.  

Weber counts against the cap and only LTIR contracts can exceed 82.5M.  With Weber on LTIR they can go up as high as 82.5M + 7.9M = 90.4M (if they manage to get the full relief).  Their regular roster still has to be under 82.5M.  

Adding Weber doesn't create cap space but moving Dadonov did clear 5M.  They might not get the full 5M because they still need to be able to build a roster to get the full relief, they won't be able to accrue cap space.  It's not ideal but that was the cost to pay to move out Dadonov's contract.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1