The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Senators sign agreement to build an arena at LeBreton Flats

Rate this topic

mll

OTTAWA — The dream of a downtown arena for the Ottawa Senators is back on.

The National Capital Commission announced Thursday a group led by the NHL franchise is the preferred bidder for LeBreton Flats and has signed a memorandum of understanding for the development of a "major event centre."

The proposal slated for the site just west of Parliament Hill would serve as the Senators' new home and also be comprised of mixed-use development.

The Capital Sports Development Inc. — which includes the team, the builders of the New York Islanders' new UBS Arena and the entertainment company Live Nation — and the NCC said they hope to have a long-term lease agreement in place by the fall of 2023.

The Senators have played at the Canadian Tire Centre, which opened as the Palladium, in suburban Kanata since 1996.

The team previously looked at moving to LeBreton Flats, but the plan fell apart with owner Eugene Melnyk, who died in March, and his business partners suing each other.

The sprawling 29-hectare site sits on the Ottawa River and has been the subject of development plans for decades.

The NCC announced in December it was taking another jab at anchoring the site with entertainment venues, including an events centre slated for a 2.56-hectare parcel that is almost the size of four soccer fields.

Applications were due by the end of February.

LeBreton Flats was a working-class and industrial neighbourhood until the federal government expropriated and razed it in the 1960s.

"We believe that this development will have a major impact on both the National Capital Region and our franchise, one that will help to shape the future of the city," Senators president of business operations Anthony LeBlanc said in a statement.

"We thank the NCC for their collaboration, and look forward to working alongside them as we take the next steps on this exciting journey."

Edited by mll

This is enormous if it happens.  It is an amazing location and will do nothing but good for the city and the fans.  Kanata being so bloody far away and having the parking issues associated with it always missed out on major concerts, smaller attendance, no transportation and transit relief.

This is an amazing announcement and I am thrilled for the Ottawa fans to have this happening

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Never said he was a saint :lol:

You didn't and I wasn't trying to pick on you for your comment. It was a general observation on my part. 

However, I don't think someone dying means we can't discuss their warts. And Eugene Melnyk was a pretty bad owner. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, VforVasili said:

Uh oh. I keep telling them that if they move the arena downtown I will become a fan and buy tickets.

Guess the bell tolls for me.

Do it, despite what some folks believe you can have more than one team. Ottawa's gonna be fun to watch in a few years. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

You didn't and I wasn't trying to pick on you for your comment. It was a general observation on my part. 

However, I don't think someone dying means we can't discuss their warts. And Eugene Melnyk was a pretty bad owner. 

Not only a bad owner but a bad person, as illustrated by his homophobia.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This is enormous if it happens.  It is an amazing location and will do nothing but good for the city and the fans.  Kanata being so bloody far away and having the parking issues associated with it always missed out on major concerts, smaller attendance, no transportation and transit relief.

This is an amazing announcement and I am thrilled for the Ottawa fans to have this happening

It's 20 minutes from downtown to the current arena by car, it's really not that far...For perspective takes a full hour to get to the game downtown MTL from my brothers place (MTL), which includes a short 5-10 minute drive, a train and then a train back plus a bus plus the car ride on the way back ... problem with OTT is the public transport cant properly handle the volume, and needs massive parking lots to handle the volume.   We always pay a little for special parking to get out the first five minutes otherwise yes, you can wait for 20 minutes to get out in Kanata (same as any other major sports even it's not different)... as far as music goes Def Leppard sold out and was a good show but the city itself isn't as big to pull in minor labels.    Metallica and bigger bands don't bother with MTL and TO already usual landing spots.   Thing that Kanata doesn't have at all, is thousands spilling out onto the streets enjoying the win or solemn after a loss and headed to the next place to celebrate within walking distance.   Has zero of that.    The ambience downtown will be a lot better for the team and the city.   Not sure what the heck they will do with the Canadian Tire center ... probably turn it into another mall.   But the sight lines are great, better then quite a few i've been too.   Hope the new one isn't giant sized - won't be easy to provide the same awesome site lines they've currently got.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

It's 20 minutes from downtown to the current arena by car, it's really not that far...For perspective takes a full hour to get to the game downtown MTL from my brothers place (MTL), which includes a short 5-10 minute drive, a train and then a train back plus a bus plus the car ride on the way back ... problem with OTT is the public transport cant properly handle the volume, and needs massive parking lots to handle the volume.   We always pay a little for special parking to get out the first five minutes otherwise yes, you can wait for 20 minutes to get out in Kanata (same as any other major sports even it's not different)... as far as music goes Def Leppard sold out and was a good show but the city itself isn't as big to pull in minor labels.    Metallica and bigger bands don't bother with MTL and TO already usual landing spots.   Thing that Kanata doesn't have at all, is thousands spilling out onto the streets enjoying the win or solemn after a loss and headed to the next place to celebrate within walking distance.   Has zero of that.    The ambience downtown will be a lot better for the team and the city.   Not sure what the heck they will do with the Canadian Tire center ... probably turn it into another mall.   But the sight lines are great, better then quite a few i've been too.   Hope the new one isn't giant sized - won't be easy to provide the same awesome site lines they've currently got.  

The thing is, season ticket holders generally want to go directly from work to the game (with maybe dinner out in between). I used to work with a season ticket holder in Vancouver who refused to go to the game if he had to go home first - he’d just sell his tickets instead (sometimes to me).

It’s huge for season ticket holders and the food/concession sales to have the rink right downtown.

Edited by D-Money

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Having personally spent quite a bit of time in Ottawa, this is a pretty big deal for their hockey community and the general community at large. 

People like to criticize Aquaman and his family for this and that, but they've never been shy to invest in the infrastructure of the Canucks' organization when they needed to, and have ensured they keep community ties open and positive - that's not the way it is in every NHL city.   

I'll give more credit to the Griffiths family for building the arena *ENTIRELY* from private funding rather than say the bastion of capitalism (Alberta) where the taxpayers help fund their arenas (Lames & Coilers).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Not to speak ill of the dead but it's unsurprising that this came together not that long after Melnyk's passing.

Applications were due in February - he passed in late March.    

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

The thing is, season ticket holders generally want to go directly from work to the game (with maybe dinner out in between). I used to work with a season ticket holder in Vancouver who refused to go to the game if he had to go home first - he’d just sell his tickets instead (sometimes to me).

It’s huge for season ticket holders and the food/concession sales to have the rink right downtown.

I agree it's better for those that live downtown - however it's not better for the dozen or so season tickets holders i know that drive 20-25 minutes, park in a lot that gets you out (season ticket holders lot) in five minutes and on your way.    And that's 50-60km away just down a highway.   There will be season ticket holders that also suffer from the move.   I agreed it's better downtown, just for the ambience - but the current one has zero issues getting to it either from downtown or out of town ... that's a misconception i wanted to point out.   Where in Vancouver do you have to live, to get to the game in 15-20 minutes by a car?  Even the sky train.    And like i also pointed out - MTL is a big city too, and those that live in it but away from the downtown core also need to spend upwards of an hour plus to get to the games there.   

The best part of it being downtown is going to be the ambience before and after the games sports bars etc  ... not necessarily easy access.   Kanata has a lot of season ticket holders too.   What they need to do is make sure their train system can handle that part.   Right now it's not great. 

Edited by IBatch

9 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'll give more credit to the Griffiths family for building the arena *ENTIRELY* from private funding rather than say the bastion of capitalism (Alberta) where the taxpayers help fund their arenas (Lames & Coilers).

Also Quebec ... State of the art arena at the time now collecting dust.   Supported by the city and the province.  

• Upvote 1

I've driven out to a game in Kanata and always wondered why they put a bloody rink out in the middle of nowhere at the time.  

Actually I was more interested in seeing tech giant Nortel's head office campus than that ugly rink anyway.

Great move to go downtown and the renderings look beautiful. Good luck to them.