The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce Hockey Operations enhancements

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Not necessarily, if the spots around them are filled & there's no route to the NHL.

But hopefully Petey/Hughes/Demko can be a selling point aswell. 

That'll come when they inflate someone's stats and he cashes in as a UFA.

Dale Tallon is 100% the reason the Hawks and Panthers achieved what they have.

It was his trades that made the Hawks competitive past their 1st cup, it was his moves with the Panthers that made them competitive and got them over the hump as much as it was Quennevilles coaching.

This is honestly the most exciting hire for me, especially as a scout.  he found some of the most incredible late round gems and pro hockey contracts 

I could see him taking over if Allvin fails should he be here long enough.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

What's that saying some thing about Cooks, spoil, broth, the, too many ...... is this applicable. Remember a Camel is a horse invented by a committee. The concept of varying opinion is good in theory but is this over kill ??

regards,  G.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wow, quite the power team that JR has assembled for the front office.

I think part of the failings of the last management group goes back to the failure to replace Linden when he left. We wound up spreading the workload on too few of people which falls on ownership.

Whether Benning stayed or left, should have fallen on the shoulders of an experienced President, like Jim Rutherford! 

There's also the POV that if Allvin doesn't work out, there are a number of guys who could step in who are already up to speed, 

regards,  G.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I think that is a little overblown.  Depth guys will be integrated as roster players as 22-24 year olds and you are realistically only adding 1 maybe 2 players of that Ilk to the active roster each season.  At the level we are getting to it takes a pretty special prospect to supplant a top 6 forward or top 4 dman the one glaring need being RD which I expect will be addressed this off season.  The depth players we need are the role players now.  Alvin and Rutherford did a pretty good job finding those guys for Pitt and hopefully can do the same here.  We also have a pretty decent volume of players drafted over the last 3 years and they can’t be written off yet.

really? most guys in the second round and later don't usually contribute meaningfully until they're 22-23. 

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Just when it looks like we are creating a progressive front office we hire the guy who brought Aldrich to the Hawks. 

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The Sharks also hired Aldrich, NCAA Notre Dame and the US Men's Olympic team chose him in 2010 as well. Guilt by association is reaching.

Wasn't Tallon already gone to Florida by the time things went awry in Chicago?

regards,  G.

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

really? most guys in the second round and later don't usually contribute meaningfully until they're 22-23. 

Maybe what I was getting at was lost.  I think a few of those guys we would see as future depth were drafted in the last 3 years.  Some of the backfill will be college free agents and European free agents.  The drafted component for the depth players is probably only 1/3 lots of sources for those types of players.

44 minutes ago, tas said:

you guys might be forgetting a bunch of other staff members that got purged over the last few months. the canucks front office was never just benning and weisbrod. 

Yeah like  jim bennings SON. 

lol.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Remember a Camel is a horse invented by a committee. The concept of varying opinion is good in theory but is this over kill ?

But Winning The Cup is not a horse race; it is a long distance endurance challenge.

(But tonight might be the night the Colorado Rangers:  Colorado Ranger - Wikipedia

outrun the Tampa Bay Camels:Camels Originated in North America, Probably Roamed Hollywood

Yes, the Colorado Ranger and the North American camel are real.)

8 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Maybe what I was getting at was lost.  I think a few of those guys we would see as future depth were drafted in the last 3 years.  Some of the backfill will be college free agents and European free agents.  The drafted component for the depth players is probably only 1/3 lots of sources for those types of players.

ah. Well hopefully we can attract a few more college free agents as things go along here, that would help a lot. 

53 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Dale Tallon is 100% the reason the Hawks and Panthers achieved what they have.

It was his trades that made the Hawks competitive past their 1st cup, it was his moves with the Panthers that made them competitive and got them over the hump as much as it was Quennevilles coaching.

This is honestly the most exciting hire for me, especially as a scout.  he found some of the most incredible late round gems and pro hockey contracts 

I could see him taking over if Allvin fails should he be here long enough.

Yup.  Love the Tallon hire.  Next President after JR?  

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

this is going to take 4-5 years. 

It's funny you say that.

Our prospect pool/roster team (in terms of potential) is significantly better than what Gillis left the team. If our current team requires 4-5 years to rebuild, how long would it have taken with a complete barebones prospect pool that ONLY successfully drafted Horvat, Hutton, Connaughton, and Hodgson?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3