The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Vegas shopping Nic Hague

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Go back in time and take BPA Nic Hague over Kole Lind. Love how Benning drafts for positional need with Juolevi over Tkachuk and then when positional need and BPA align he takes Lind over Hague. I’d definitely be in on this deal maybe make it even sweeter and get both Hague and Roy.

Oh please do this. I was watching the picks go down, and getting more excited with each pick, knowing Hague was available and we needed D in the worst way. Then Benning drafts Kole Lind. WHAT!!!

Isn't he an RFA? Couldn't we offer sheet him with something somewhat reasonable, but still hamstring Vegas? Just asking. This is a Dman we could really use. @Provost big time I'd offer Rathbone + for Hague.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Oh please do this. I was watching the picks go down, and getting more excited with each pick, knowing Hague was available and we needed D in the worst way. Then Benning drafts Kole Lind. WHAT!!!

Isn't he an RFA? Couldn't we offer sheet him with something somewhat reasonable, but still hamstring Vegas? Just asking. This is a Dman we could really use. @Provost big time I'd offer Rathbone + for Hague.

He is an RFA and if management is willing to give him around 4 million on a medium range deal 4.2 compensation is only a 2nd round pick. In the proposal section I proposed Rathbone, Hoglander and Dermott for both their RFA’s Roy and Hague. It seems like a steep price but they’ll have a lot of suitors looking at both guys. I also dealt Miller for a mostly futures package to Columbus to make room for these two guys salaries and keep us under the cap.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Hague is an RFA.  They can simply not qualify him and he becomes a UFA.  This is not a trade to off-load cap.

I mean they could, but if you think about it then it doesn't help their ability to retain him since if he goes to UFA he'll have a bidding war AND they have $0 cap space.  At least if they qualify him then they keep his rights which would enable them to expose him to offer sheets and the picks/ trades.  No way they don't qualify him really, if they don't they would wish they made a trade so they at least get some assets.  Also, letting a big, mobile defender in his 20's go when the other 3 guys in his position are 34, 31 and Ben Hutton (no offense to him) just looks like bad management.

If JR and Allvin don't go for him, they better be in on Roy.

Edited by Phil_314

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Hoglander for Hague could be a good fit for both sides.

…Come to think of it, if we can move some cap elsewhere, Hoglander and Rathbone for Hague and Roy might be a good starting point for both sides. Solves a lot of their cap issues, and is a huge step forward for our team where we need it.

They wont do that.  Ppl here are way overvaluing Rathbone. 

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

they could but why lose him for nothing? Canucks should offer a 2024 2nd and Aidan McDonough for Roy and Hague. 

They wouldn't, but they don't have to add assets or take bad cap back to trade him.  

27 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

They wont do that.  Ppl here are way overvaluing Rathbone. 

I’m not, I know he’s not worth a lot. I just think that might be the best deal Vegas gets under the circumstances. And 2 players on ELCs is really what they need to balance their cap issues.

15 hours ago, AC Readership said:

Drafted exactly ONE pick after Kole Lind.

Spoiler

Yes I asked why is no one picking Nic Hague that draft day.  

I try not to be a negative Nancy. But this was once call I got right.  Which compared to the pro's isn't all that often.

Example; I liked Juolevi also!  :lol:  

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Drafted exactly ONE pick after Kole Lind.

Reveal hidden contents

Yes I asked why is no one picking Nic Hague that draft day.  

I try not to be a negative Nancy. But this was once call I got right.  Which compared to the pro's isn't all that often.

Example; I liked Juolevi also!  :lol:  

seems to always happen to us. the one player we need goes after us, and we don't pick him. 

good news is that he can be had from Vegas, if the right deal is there. I'm not sure what Vegas' asking price is for Hague. 

My own sense is Vegas has good players they can trade to relieve cap.  

Like us getting JT miller.  If you put up a good player; there should be a market.  

Stylistically a good trade for both sides is Rathbone for Hague.  JTR is on record as liking Rathbone?  AND wanting to add both speed, and another PMD. So that counts against my wishes. It would be a blessing if either Hague or Rathbone were a RHD.... Despite JTR, this is a trade I would make. I love Hague's big shot, composure handling the puck, a big body who plays big! 

15 hours ago, mll said:

Pacioretty could be worth a 1st at the TDL.  Over the past 3 seasons he has 154pts in 157 games. 

They can certainly find a team that will take his full contract without retention or forcing them to take cap back.  A team like Detroit is over 14M from the floor.  Anaheim is 18M from the floor.  Yzerman wants to be more competitive and he would help them stay in games and he can then be traded at the TDL for assets to further their rebuild.

Yuppp, Patches still holds positive value on an expiring deal

14 hours ago, rekker said:

I believe Hague is in danger of being an offer sheet candidate? Either way, Canucks should be all over this. Perfect fit for us. 

I believe due to his signing age and experience, Hague is not able to be offer sheeted by other clubs. He is also not eligible for arbitration. So strictly speaking VGK can offer him a 1 year $875k deal and he can either sign that or choose not to play in the NHL next season. It's tough on a young guy like Hague, but he'd probably have to take that deal and hope that he can cash in next season....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

I believe due to his signing age and experience, Hague is not able to be offer sheeted by other clubs. He is also not eligible for arbitration. So strictly speaking VGK can offer him a 1 year $875k deal and he can either sign that or choose not to play in the NHL next season. It's tough on a young guy like Hague, but he'd probably have to take that deal and hope that he can cash in next season....

He is offer-sheet eligible but not arbitration eligible.  CapFriendly notes the players who are not offer-sheet eligible as 10.2(c) RFAs.  

Offer-sheet is 3 pro-seasons when the ELC signing age is between 18 and 21.  At 18/19 a pro-season is 10 NHL games and at 20 and older it's 10 pro-games (AHL, NHL, etc).  He has his 3 pro-seasons.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

According to this article, Hague can be offer sheeted. Do it JR!                                   https://theathletic.com/3308928/2022/05/13/golden-knights-roster-offseason/                    

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or you can just make a trade that makes sense?

For sure, I should of been more clear. I think you try the trade approach first, then no more Mr Nice Guy if Vegas doesn't play ball. 

Edited by rekker

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Management will have a far better feel for how much is/isn't "too cute", than any of us. I suspect it won't be close to "Rathbone + Hoglander" though.

Would LOVE to land both Roy and Hague though.

I'm just basing it on what Rutherford has said about how he approaches trades, more from a win-win than trying to squeeze another GM.