The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which JT Miller Deal would you prefer?

Which JT Miller Deal would you prefer?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks to the OP for a good effort at generating plausible trade packages. I would take Boston. Carlo ticks a lot of boxes (big, strong, right age (25), good defensively but capable of supporting offence). Looks on paper like an excellent partner for Hughes or OEL and is signed long-term on a very reasonable contract. Just what the Canucks need and a proven top 4 shutdown D. Also, Lysell is a very good prospect (and is already in Vancouver). Would be nice to get a first round pick but I agree that a second round pick to round out the deal would still be a good offer. I would take it. 

But I don't think Boston is trading away Carlo. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Provost said:

This is a great poll,  tough to decide.  I went with Carlo just because I am more familier with him than Peeke... and I think Lysell and a 2nd is worth about the same or more than the #12.

Honestly though, I do most of those deals... though the NYR one needs Schneider or K'Andre Miller to me to be palatable.

I really don't like many of these deals - and agree that NYR isn't enough to move the needle.   Probably makes them fair lol.    Miller is a great player.   It's going to hurt to lose him and it might not matter much in the end which hurts too. Wish i had a crystal ball on this one, but can say from watching hockey long enough, you can't win a cup without some trades.   Just look at COL.  Was it six guys they drafted?  Most were traders and UFAs.   This idea that drafting wins cups is muddied.  Yes you need to draft a core.   But you can sure add with trades.   We should already know that from the Quin era. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I really don't like many of these deals - and agree that NYR isn't enough to move the needle.   Probably makes them fair lol.    Miller is a great player.   It's going to hurt to lose him and it might not matter much in the end which hurts too. Wish i had a crystal ball on this one, but can say from watching hockey long enough, you can't win a cup without some trades.   Just look at COL.  Was it six guys they drafted?  Most were traders and UFAs.   This idea that drafting wins cups is muddied.  Yes you need to draft a core.   But you can sure add with trades.   We should already know that from the Quin era. 

if their not signing miller, than he walks for nother after next season.

• Cheers 3

Yeah I went with Boston in the end. Carlo is exactly the type of D Canucks need and is young and on a good contract. 

Close second is LA. No immediate help for the current team, but great prospects added and a pick. 

Wouldn't be upset with either. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if their not signing miller, than he walks for nother after next season.

Yes that's for sure the quandary.   I've also watched enough hockey to know trading or re-signing him can go worse for us then just letting him walk.   Slimmest odds is a trade backfiring and for sure has the most potential over anything else.   Sundstrom was also a good player, as was Linden, as was Bertuzzi.   We all know how that worked out for us.  Of the 3 the only one i was stoked about at the time was Bertuzzi.   

Sundstrom, Butcher and Lumme for a second set us up to win more playoff games then any other team in franchise history.    Miller could be our next Butcher/Linden/Bertuzzi trade ... but he could also just be another Kesler like deal ... likely somewhere in the middle. 

• Upvote 2

Very interesting early results! Love the poll, thanks a bunch for putting it up. I am amazed you did so well cleaning up the proposals...............

I choose Peeke and the 12th OA, although I though it a little light, I like that one the best............

In saying that, I like the Pitts, and Boston proposals also............about the only one I did not like was the NY Ranger one.

I also think people might be sleeping on Necas, and Morrow had a great year, so I like that one too!

We should ask JR, which one he likes!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Very interesting early results! Love the poll, thanks a bunch for putting it up. I am amazed you did so well cleaning up the proposals...............

I choose Peeke and the 12th OA, although I though it a little light, I like that one the best............

In saying that, I like the Pitts, and Boston proposals also............about the only one I did not like was the NY Ranger one.

I also think people might be sleeping on Necas, and Morrow had a great year, so I like that one too!

We should ask JR, which one he likes!

Thanks bro.  In fairness, I added the Carolina deal way after the others.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

unprotected pick in 2023 > 2022 pick....go with the NJD deal (potentially 2 chances at winning a top 2 or top 5 pick in a very deep draft)

Do we really think Miller is going to make them that much worse though?   It's a totally different scenario then when Duchene went to OTT.   That was just a perfect crap storm over there.    Likely NJ ends up close to a playoff team next year,  adding Miller puts them into the bubble playoff conversation. 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Do we really think Miller is going to make them that much worse though?   It's a totally different scenario then when Duchene went to OTT.   That was just a perfect crap storm over there.    Likely NJ ends up close to a playoff team next year,  adding Miller puts them into the bubble playoff conversation. 

No goaltending.  Jersey will suck socks.  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No goaltending.  Jersey will suck socks.  

Are socks better than cats?  IYO.  In your opinion Alf.

All those deals are Gold, Jerry.

Prolly more than can be realized (imo).

But I picked Boston cuz @ #54 it would be something to take Tyler Brennan out of PG; top-ranked goalie in the draft.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Are socks better than cats?  IYO.  In your opinion Alf.

All those deals are Gold, Jerry.

Prolly more than can be realized (imo).

But I picked Boston cuz @ #54 it would be something to take Tyler Brennan out of PG; top-ranked goalie in the draft.

I’m hoping JR goes for one very good piece in return for Miller instead of several average ones.  Top prospect or elite young player, or top 10 pick.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m hoping JR goes for one very good piece in return for Miller instead of several average ones.  Top prospect or elite young player, or top 10 pick.  

BPA for sure, but if possible, goalies, defensemen (lately, ever?, rhd), centers and then imo, swing for the fences.

But also imo, draft picks are good, but players Win The Cup.

Excellent proposal!!!  Best one I've seen... I'm hoping that the nucks management goes with at least one guaranteed sure fire top 4 d or top 6 forward fir Miller.  This way, the team doesn't necessarily take a step back in order to go forward long term.  The Boston trade looks best for that but the Carolina trade is a close second.  The L.A. and Washington trades have the most boom or bust potential.  As others have mentioned, the Rangers trade would be the only one I'd be disappointed with.  Thanks again bc Nate!