The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HHOF Class of 2022: Daniel Alfredsson, Roberto Luongo, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Riikka Sallinen, Herb Carnegie

Rate this topic

59 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Taylor and Simmer both aren't in.  Neither are Robert and Martin from Buffalo.  I brought up all four as overlooked when talking about Alfredsson comparables.

Triple Crown Line and the French Connection...possibly the two most famous lines of all time and 2/3 of both aren't in the Hall.

As for Buffalo...it's a team history of guys who should be in and aren't:  Tom Barrasso, Pierre Turgeon, Rick Martin, Rene Robert, Alexander Mogilny.  And that's not thinking about players like Danny Gare, Roger Crozier, etc.

You forgot to mention the legendary Japanese hockey player Taro Tsujimoto (who says Punch Imlach didn't have a sense of humor lol?)!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro_Tsujimoto#:~:text=Taro Tsujimoto (Japanese katakana%3A ツジモト,the 1974 NHL amateur draft.

• Vintage 1

Proud Day for Canucks fans, especially the ones that actually supported these three beauties. Those of you who spent your time hating on these three can kiss their a$$.

You know who you are. Feel shame.

Thank you. That is All.

• Like 1

I can appreciate Luongo a bit more now that he’s finally off our books. 
Congrats to all three! They brought a lot more respect to the organization, and gave us a lot of great, winning years.

13 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I can appreciate Luongo a bit more now that he’s finally off our books. 
Congrats to all three! They brought a lot more respect to the organization, and gave us a lot of great, winning years.

Not Luongo's fault he was still on the books. Put the blame where it lies

• Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Not Luongo's fault he was still on the books. Put the blame where it lies

I’m not sure about that. Luongo was in rough shape in the end, and I’d guess it would have been easy to get doctor confirmation that he could go on extended leave for the last bit, but rather than that, he flat out retired so he could take a comfortable office job with the Panthers. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m not sure about that. Luongo was in rough shape in the end, and I’d guess it would have been easy to get doctor confirmation that he could go on extended leave for the last bit, but rather than that, he flat out retired so he could take a comfortable office job with the Panthers.

Yeah Lu knew he was screwing the Canucks and made his choice.  That said, if he had responsibilities, they were to his current team at the time.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

5 hours ago, 250Integra said:

I’m a little shocked but this is Absolutely amazing news and well deserved. Congrats Hank, Danny, and Lu.

Me too,  I mean wouldn’t it have been more poetic to induct Hank in 2033 ?

:ph34r:

(very nice to see the 3 in)

31 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He retired as a Panther, so unless he signs a 1-day contract with us prior to his induction, I believe past practice is he'll be going in as a Panther.

EDIT: there is no team affiliation according to one of the unofficial sources that I read (unlike baseball which requires a team affiliation)

Yeah you can kind of guess at the team from the collar in some of the exhibits but that's about it.  I figure he would go in as a Panther though if it were up to him, though I believe most hockey fans think of him as a Canuck primarily.

One of the relatively few players where you would have to think about it though.  It's usually pretty obvious.  Gets a little muddy with the Ciccarelli, Gartner, Francis, Shanahan, Andreychuk types I guess.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

31 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He retired as a Panther, so unless he signs a 1-day contract with us prior to his induction, I believe past practice is he'll be going in as a Panther.

EDIT: there is no team affiliation according to one of the unofficial sources that I read (unlike baseball which requires a team affiliation)

Gary Carter won a World Series as a Met but went into the Baseball Hall of Fame as an Expo (which where he did play the bulk of his career).  True he did at one time entertai thoughts of going in the Hall with a Mets affiliation; but that was only AFTER there was real uncertainty the Expos would even be in Montreal for much longer (prior to all the Expo owner shennanigans, Carter expressed an interest in going in as an Expo).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, he does hold franchise records for both teams.  Especially considering there was a lengthy gap between when he left the Panthers the first time and had those records, and then came back and picked up where he left off.  :ph34r:

He has six career playoff games as a Panther.  Two of his three Vezina nominations were as a Canuck.  Yeah he played more regular season games as a Panther but his Canuck years are getting him in the Hall more than his Panther years.  If he had stayed a Panther his whole career he would have been Curtis Joseph.

8 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah you can kind of guess at the team from the collar in some of the exhibits but that's about it.  I figure he would go in as a Panther though if it were up to him, though I believe most hockey fans think of him as a Canuck primarily.

One of the relatively few players where you would have to think about it though.  It's usually pretty obvious.  Gets a little muddy with the Ciccarelli, Gartner, Francis, Shanahan, Andreychuk types I guess.

Frank Mahovlich (The Big M) might be another.  Great career as a Leaf (before the city of Toronto & Imlach ran him out of town; Leafs have never won another Cup since).  Many might only remember him as a Hab (though he only spent 4 seasons there - just a bit longer than the time he spent as a Red Wing).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan